Neon lighting in Dark Rooms

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Ok - many of us know what our triggers are -
I think that I am somewhat photosensitive. For instance, I have had partials while working on the computer - and while in the grocery store, and while at work, where I was surrounded by neon lighting in a dark environment for 8hrs a day.

I've even had instances where playing video games have brought on partials. What is strange though is that traveling in a car, in the sunlight between the trees, im just fine. Or seeing flashing lights, television or fireworks..no effect.

Could it be that there are certain frequencies given off by fluorescent lighting, and neon lighting/blacklights that could cause some people to react? Has anyone else experienced this where neon lighting has caused a reaction for those who are photosensitive?

I didn't think I was photosensitive either, I had no reaction to the flashing strobe lights test during my EEG. There is a nightclub in town though that has a ring of flashing lights around the dancefloor that flash different colours and speeds in time with the music. Pretty much everytime I go I either have a seizure in there or after I get home. I also have problems with patterns with opposite colours in them, like red and blue or bright pink and green. I get partials from them.

there are fluorescent lights where I had my "first" and second seizures. I had a tonic-clonic on Saturday where there were several big-screen LCD tvs (a burger bar type place) and many neon beer sign type of things.
fluorescent and neon lights are a type of strobe light, I seem to recall, but they strobe at an extremely fast rate...
I try to keep tabs on my moods when I'm in places with a lot of lighting like this, and to the atmosphere of the places, if it's very loud, crowded, any other types of warning signs for stress - and things like that...
any large warehouse-type store is bound to have several partially-blown strobing fluorescent lights

Yah see i had that feeling that being at work, being surrounded by neon lights that circle the room..i can hear them buzzing even over the music [and i doubt that anyone else can hear it but for some reason, my E plus the tegretol that i take gives me super-sensitive hearing]

This situation caused me to seize even though i had taken my medication! now that's bad!

Yah see i had that feeling that being at work, being surrounded by neon lights that circle the room..i can hear them buzzing even over the music [and i doubt that anyone else can hear it but for some reason, my E plus the tegretol that i take gives me super-sensitive hearing]

This situation caused me to seize even though i had taken my medication! now that's bad!

it can be really annoying fixating on a noise huh
I've had tinnitus for months now - at times it seems to fade but other times it can catch my attention and just be so annoying and persistent
same with some sounds in stores - you know department stores have those "ding ding ding" chimes to cue employees to certain actions, but that are meant to be sublime to customers - sometimes I'll end up fixating on sounds like that and just need to leave the store!

My husband said that neon lights give out a radio frequency. You can test it with an EMF detector, which tests ambient energies. He also said that when a neon light gets old and fails and it gets a black ring around it, it is giving off a high radio-type frequency..usually they keep working and they never get changed because it costs a lot of money to replace neon lighting.

Funny how you are able to notice little things that you had never noticed before. E makes you do this, makes you see things from a different perspective, it makes you more aware of your body.

I started this post because for years i had wondered if it was just me that had these types of experiences near neon lighting in a night club type environment, where music is blaring and people have to shout over it just to talk...lol

Back
Top Bottom