Neurofeedback question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BuckeyeFan

Grandpa
Reaction score
I have a question for our Neurofeedback users. Have you ever heard anything about it being used for MS? I have a sister-in-law who has very serious MS. I know it attacks the nervous system differently than E, but was just wondering if this was an option for her.

It may not help her with her physical coordination, but maybe help with her cognitive ability which is starting to slip. So sad. She is a very intelligent lady who can hardly read anymore or do any of the things she has did in the past.

Help.

MS is an auto-immune disorder that causes physical damage to the CNS:
Wikipedia said:
Multiple sclerosis (abbreviated MS, also known as disseminated sclerosis or encephalomyelitis disseminata) is an idiopathic disease of suspected autoimmune cause, in which the body's immune response attacks a person's central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), leading to demyelination. ...

MS affects the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other. Nerve cells communicate by sending electrical signals called action potentials down long fibers called axons, which are wrapped in an insulating substance called myelin. In MS, the body's own immune system attacks and damages the myelin. When myelin is lost, the axons can no longer effectively conduct signals.[1] The name multiple sclerosis refers to scars (scleroses—better known as plaques or lesions) in the white matter of the brain and spinal cord, which is mainly composed of myelin.[4] Although much is known about the mechanisms involved in the disease process, the cause remains unknown.

Neurofeedback can help the brain create/strengthen new pathways to work around physical scarring *within* the brain, but I'm not sure that it can help the brain establish new connections to the spinal cord. It's extremely unlikely that neurofeedback would have any effect on the autoimmune system that is causing the demyelination.

I did a quick Google search and most references to "neurofeedback Multiple sclerosis" discuss neurofeedback in the context of treating the downstream effects of MS. So, it might help improve someone's quality of life, but it's not likely to have any impact on the root problem.

I'd suggest sending an email to the AAPB, ISNR and/or Othmers @ EEG Institute. I'm sure they can give you better feedback on what reasonable expectations would be for your SIL's case.

My fiance's aunt had really bad MS and reversed most of the effects by using MRS (magnetic resonance stimulation) that pullls toxins and metals through the body, to open blood vessels and nerve ending to make signal go through faster and more effiecently

This is something I am going to look into as well as neurofeedback.

I have read quite a bit about nutrition and MS. I would suspect that being serious about that, that neurofeeback would only help to support brain function with positive outcomes.
Though I would think (my opinion) that it would need to be done before too much damage has occurred.

I have auto immune issues with my children, so I continually look for answers. Supporting adrenal function is really important along with nutritional changes.

Back
Top Bottom