Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I agree, Ruth, Rebecca's glucose wasn't extremely high. I've had my glucose levels up in the 400's before and just before lunch today it was down to 51, but that was from doing my exercising. When my levels drop, usually the only symptoms I feel are shakiness. So far, I've never suffered a seizure from hyper/hypoglycemia and my glucose has been as low as 40ish.

Dr Russell Blaylock a neurosurgeon, and researcher, says hypoglycemia should be considered more often as a cause of seizures.
Rebecca tested at 50 on a three hour Glucose tolerance test.
I realize that her blood sugar was not high this week, but it is my opinion that it could have been low, and went UP after the seizure. Not that it went high. We will never know, unless we are testing all the time.

We know we are all different, and where going to 40 or 50 might not trigger a seizure in yourself, it might in my daughter. Especially after a morning of intense exercise.
Just trying to figure out the puzzle, not compare her to anyone else.

Dr Russell Blaylock a neurosurgeon, and researcher, says hypoglycemia should be considered more often as a cause of seizures.
Rebecca tested at 50 on a three hour Glucose tolerance test.
I realize that her blood sugar was not high this week, but it is my opinion that it could have been low, and went UP after the seizure. Not that it went high. We will never know, unless we are testing all the time.

We know we are all different, and where going to 40 or 50 might not trigger a seizure in yourself, it might in my daughter. Especially after a morning of intense exercise.
Just trying to figure out the puzzle, not compare her to anyone else.

I'm just curious as to why you're not testing her glucose all the time if you are certain she has hypoglycemia, especially since she suffers seizures? A 7- minute seizure could be dangerous. I know one can have hypoglycemia and not have diabetes. I have know people in the past who did have hypoglycemia.

"What are the signs and symptoms of non-diabetic hypoglycemia? You may have one or more of the following signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia.

Blurred vision, dizzy, light-headed, shaky, or weak.
Drowsy or tired.
Fast or pounding heartbeat, or sweating more than usual.
Headache.
Nausea (upset stomach) or feeling very hungry.
Irritable, nervous, or confused.

If your sugar is very low, you may faint or have seizures."

I'm not trying to compare myself to anyone either, just stating facts.

Actually, I am more inclined to figure out why there is an imbalance in the first place. to find out why her hair test came back so negative in the essential nutrients. Why our new holistic dentist, says her nervous system seems to be ALL out of wack.

Hi Robin, why are you testing her hair? What would a holistic dentist know about her nervous system? I would like more information on that. I am glad that you are checking into diabetes.

How long did Rebecca go without seizures?

There is an imbalance because our DNA is not perfect. We are all imperfect because of that.

I am sorry that you feel that nobody is responding to you. I try to!! Ruth

Ruth - the hair test gives an indication of what toxins are in the body, heavy metals etc.
It also can give a good indication of what essential nutritent levels are currently available.

Rebecca went about 4+ weeks without a seizure.

Thank you for your interest.
I am looking for up-to-date, medical support in this area. I will share what I find.

Hi Robin, I did not know that about the hair actually showing up things. That is good to know.

Rebecca went a long time without a seizure. Way to go!! You are doing the right things.

Hi Robin,

I looked it up and read the information. Thank you very much. Ruth

it is possible to train the brain to de-emphasize rhythms that lead to generation and propagation of seizure and emphasize rhythms that make seizures less likely to occur. With recent improvements in quantitative EEG measurement and improved neurofeedback protocols, it has become possible in clinical practice to eliminate seizures or reduce the amount of medication required to control them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
http://www.eeginfo.com/research/epilepsy_main.html

Hi Robin, I am so glad that you did not put Rebecca on medicines. I should never have been put on medicines again. I was diagnosed as having Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. I had it when I was 6 years old. Somehow, I survived it. I was only having abscence seizures at that time.

2 years ago, I was diagnosed as having it again. It is too bad that the neurologist that I had, died about a month later in a car accident. My GP did not believe that I had it. I told her that it must be in her chart about me. Since then, she has only talked to me through her secretary. She was crying when she told me my labs for my diabetes.

I am seeing through more of my skin everyday now. If she knows it, I will be sent to UCSF or UCLA. That is if my insurance will pay for it. I do not feel sorry for myself.

You want to inform everyone about the problems with medicines, so do I. Most people have never heard of it. Ruth

I am sorry that you are having these difficulties. It sounds like you need to find yourself a new doctor. I did put Rebecca on meds, but the results were terrible. I was not willing to sit and watch her get worse.

I was not impressed with UCLA, however I have been with USC. I guess it all depends on what team of doctors you are given. Keep pushing for positive results. You should not feel like it is an end of the road situation. Find a doctor willing to get you back to the minimum of meds.

Rebecca continues to get better. We shall see if she makes it through another TOM.

I think it is very true that everyone's body chemistry is different and what may be seizure-inducing for one person may not have any effect on another. Robin, you are obviously on the right track and I think just need to keep on keeping on. Rebecca is right at that age to "test the limits" a little bit and I think Bernard is right. It will probably take her suffering the consequences a few times before she understands that even one cheat can have major consequences. I'm sorry it happened though; it has to be discouraging.

I agree KE that I am on the right track too. One reason I share the highs and lows is so that others might be willing to keep journals and figure out their triggers too. Rather than putting all the faith in their doctor. Perhaps questioning some of the advice, and using a bit of intuition to figure out a better master plan. I do believe doctors are much more willing to go the extra mile, when you have a sound plan, are being proactive, and good solid research backing your ideas.

Hi Robin, I do not believe that I am at the end of the road. I am a postive thinker. I do not give up. I reminded my doctor that it is on my chart. I see her in a couple of days.

I have never been to UCLA. Ruth

Rebecca is right at that age to "test the limits" a little bit and I think Bernard is right. It will probably take her suffering the consequences a few times before she understands that even one cheat can have major consequences. I'm sorry it happened though; it has to be discouraging.

Hi Robin, is Rebecca "pushing the envelope." How old is Rebecca, now? It must be discouraging if she is not doing her diet as she should.

Being a diabetic, I know how hard it is to stay on my diet and exercise program. When I get off of my diet, it shows up on my tests. My blood levels go real high and I suffer the consequences.

Rebecca is right at that age to "test the limits" a little bit and I think Bernard is right. It will probably take her suffering the consequences a few times before she understands that even one cheat can have major consequences. I'm sorry it happened though; it has to be discouraging.

I remember when I was 18 I decided I was sick of taking my meds so I quit eating anything with sugar in it for a week or so then decided I could quit my meds cold turkey.

I was fine for a while but the 3rd or 4th day I had my first ever tonic/clonic.

That was 31 years ago & to this day I haven't missed taking my meds even once. I do realize that it was something I had to go through to accept taking them every morning & evening.

I also agree that Rebecca probably has to discover her limits on her own, painful as that might be for a parent.

She sure does. Luckily she is buying into the program, for the most part. I think if her health over all is strengthened, then a minor blip won't be a problem. It is when it all is accumulated over time that it strikes hard.

We have been discussing getting back in the saddle to continue neurofeedback. She needed a bit of a break for a while. I understand though that this is the time for her brain to rejuvenate, since it is still growing. It seems it would only help to train it a bit longer, to stabilize it as a whole.

Ruth, Rebecca will be 18 on November 17th

Think good thoughts that she makes it through this month without any mishaps.

Hey, we have another thing in common. My son turns 30 on November 17. He is my younger one out of the 4 that I have.

She is at that age, Robin, where she is getting independent from you. Don't force or get upset. If you quietly reason with Rebecca, you stand a better chance of her listening to you. As one mother to another.

Rebecca went down again this morning about 9:15. She had not felt very well when she went to bed. Headache, start of a sore throat. I was expecting her to want to stay home from school when I woke her this morning, but she said she thought she felt okay to go.

She doesn't have a first period (she normally practices from 6-8 am, just not today, due to not feeling well). This happened soon after she arrived at school. It lasted about 3 min. I am told. She slept for about an hour after, and we both decided she should just come home.

It is her TOM, so I know that is something that triggers hers. She did not take time to eat something before school, which could be another trigger.

Taking a look at the journal to find out what we did different so that she went 4+ months recently. There must be a clue.

Appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow.
Rebecca twisted and fell on a knee while figure skating, that has given her trouble in the past. ER docs think it might be a torn meniscus. Hopeful that it can heal on its own, as surgery is never fun. This has put her out of competition mode. We were to take a trip to AZ this weekend for Southwest Regionals.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Back
Top Bottom