Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Oh Robin, I hate that. It seems that you and Rebecca are having an all-around bad month. Here's prayers that her knee heals without surgery.

Ruth - My oldest hits 30 on Nov. 6th! She is expecting my 3rd grandchild Jan. 2nd.:rock:

Robin, I sure hope the knee heals fast and she gets back on her blades. Believe me, I am real familiar with bad knees. (ACL in 2000). It is amazing how far they have came with the surgery. My daughter had an ACL last year and it was even easier to recover from than mine. My wife had meniscus this spring and walked out an hour after the surgery. Amazing, because she is not very fit.

Keep the spirits up. Remember even with that one step back, the two steps forward will get you where you are going.

Ohhhhh,

OW!!!!

I hope Rebecca can get back up on that knee VERY SOON!!! Give her hugs and kisses for me!

M

Oh Robin, I hate that. It seems that you and Rebecca are having an all-around bad month. Here's prayers that her knee heals without surgery.

Thanks KE. Not really an all around bad month, just a few minor setbacks. Part of life, and surely not as bad as it could be. We all need to keep taking that step forward. Also it helps to think positively, because "Thoughts become things."

Robin, I sure hope the knee heals fast and she gets back on her blades. Believe me, I am real familiar with bad knees. (ACL in 2000). It is amazing how far they have came with the surgery. My daughter had an ACL last year and it was even easier to recover from than mine. My wife had meniscus this spring and walked out an hour after the surgery. Amazing, because she is not very fit.

Keep the spirits up. Remember even with that one step back, the two steps forward will get you where you are going.

Good to see you around. We are definitely keeping spirits high.
Looking forward to new answers

bees knees

I have two bad knees. Never had surgery.
My left one has dislocated. (The kneecap shifted off to the left side.) But my mom said I was faking it to get attention. I was once in a leg cast for a month, and had to walk four miles to school every day. Didn't do a thing for me.
They both don't track properly. Was thinking about talking to my doctor about surgery, but I have a co-worker who had surgery, and she says it made it worse.
If you can avoid surgery, do it. Just work on strength training and confidence building.

Last edited:
Forgot to come back and give the results of the tests. MRI showed there was no tear and that most likely the pain was due to bruising and strain on the joint. She remained off the ice for another week (3 in total). Back to exercising this week, and I will let her decide when she has done too much.

So glad nothing is torn & that she can go back to skating as normal :clap:.

It is very fun to watch her excitment as she returns to the ice. She flies around the rink with such joy. Having a passion is a wonderful thing.

Seizure last night at a B-Day party at the ice rink. Playing broomball.
Thinkin' in high gear... Hanson's soda at 5:00, a lemonade (believe it was close to real lemons) at 7:00, lemonade made from a mix at 10:00ish and seizure around 11:30pm.

Doing a lot of research still on insulin resistance.

"Insulin Resistance affects different people different ways. You must determine if you are carbohydrate intolerant, and if so, to what degree. Blood tests will only diagnose the problem in the later stages, but the symptoms may have begun years earlier"

"If you find yourself hungry and craving sugar or sweets two to three hours after a meal, you probably consumed too many carbohydates that last meal. Whenever you have a problem with hunger or carbohydrate cravings, look to your last meal for a clue to the reason why."

"When a person with this problem finally lowers carbohydrate intake to tolerable levels, many if not most of the other symptoms may disappear"

"Insulin responses can vary greatly from person to person. But generally, more refined foods evoke a stronger and/or more rapid insulin reaction."

Good article on Estrogen Dominance Syndrome

...certain lifestyle choices and conditions can also contribute to estrogen dominance syndrome, especially a low-fiber diet, overloading the liver with internal toxins, and absorbing toxins from the environment.

A low-fiber diet causes estrogen levels to be higher, while a diet high in fiber results in decreased estrogen levels in the bloodstream. Why? Excess estrogen is excreted in the bowel. When stool remains in the bowel for a longer time, as in constipation, the estrogen is reabsorbed. Studies have shown that women on a high-fiber diet have lower levels of circulating estrogen. Lower levels of estrogen mean less estrogen stimulation of breast tissue, for example, which reduces the risk of breast cancer.

The liver is a filter of sorts. It detoxifies our body, protecting us from the harmful effects of chemicals, elements in food, environmental toxins, and even natural products of our metabolism, including excess estrogen. Anything that impairs liver function or ties up the detoxifying function will result in excess estrogen levels, whether it has a physical basis, as in liver disease, or an external cause, as with exposure to environmental toxins, drugs, or dietary substances.

http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/183

elevated levels of glucose and insulin over time can cause microscopic changes in the lining of blood vessels.

Last edited:
So, Robin,

do you think that this estrogen dominance theory fits Rebecca, or not?

It is a part of the puzzle. Has been from Oct 2006. She was tested and that is one reason it was decided to try the progesterone. As I try to get to the root of the problem rather than just cover up WHY it is happening I come to the conclusion that it is connected to the insulin and hypoglycemia. I don't think anything other than a very strict diet and clearing the liver pathways will do the trick. I could continue to have her use the progesterone, but it does get to be an issue when she doesn't remember to use it. Playing policeman is not fun. I think that the off and on use can be more of an issue than not using it and targeting the cause.

So one step back... two forward.

Back
Top Bottom