Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I wanted to post in here that Rebecca's story was greatly helpful to diagnosing my own low blood sugar problem that was causing me to have seizures over the past 3 years.

I always felt that my seizures were triggered and not random. It took keeping a food/medication/sleep journal and having enough seizures to compare similarities between them to figure out what was happening.

My seizures happened:
1) During high-intensity weight workouts, always towards the end of the workout or immediately after
2) When I skip meals. Especially if the previous meal had high sugar (think: Fast food meal with large sweet tea). Eat Burger King for lunch then skip dinner = Seizure
3) Once when I drank a beer on an empty stomach. This is a bad idea in general, but I came to learn this is absolutely AWFUL for hypoglycemics. The seizure happened within ten minutes after the drink.

I had a seizure at the gym during a workout and the paramedics that showed up took my blood sugar and said it was low (68 when they got there and took it). I also did a Glucose Tolerance Test where they make you fast for 8 hours beforehand and then give you a high glucose drink (78G of sugar) and then measure your blood sugar over 3 hours. I had a seizure right at the end of hour 3. When the paramedics came, blood sugar was at 58. They gave me orange juice to drink and read my blood sugar again, it had dropped to 47. It took two tubes of glucose paste after that to get me back to acceptable ranges.

My neuro is not confident that my seizures were being triggered by low-blood sugar, and wants to raise my medication level despite being seizure free for 3 months now. The signs of having hypoglycemia were always there for me, I just had never put two and two together that my fatigue, dizziness, and seizures that I always have trouble with were connected to blood sugar levels. The medication made it hard to diagnose that my troubles were being caused by blood sugar, since if you go down the list of side effects for Keppra they are very similar to the effects I feel when my blood sugar drops (dizzy, lightheaded, off balance).

I just had never put two and two together that my fatigue, dizziness, and seizures that I always have trouble with were connected to blood sugar levels.

Be aware that those are also the exact symptoms of low blood pressure.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/basics/symptoms/con-20032298

Also understand that blood sugar often drops after a seizure so it might have been your seizure causing the low blood sugar rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
No, I am well now. I can trigger a seizure almost at will by having a big helping of carbs and sugar and then not eating for the rest of the day (Discovered this by accident, not by choice). This thread helped me to solve the mystery of what was triggering my seizures. Online resources like Rebecca's story and reading about different triggers that could precipitate seizures helped me to solve my own puzzle of what was causing me to have trouble.

Thank you for posting this thread. It was of great help to me, and I am sure to many others discovering their own blood sugar seizure related issues.

It's awesome to get feedback from people that got something useful/helpful from the forums. This thread is indeed a treasure. Rebecca's and Robin's experience have touched many people.

(ravaii was banned as a precaution for CWE members due to some internet associations with his registration email address).

HI, I just joined and ran across your post. How is Rebecca doing now? Did she finish her Neurobiofeedback and if so, what were the final results?
Thank you,

HI, I just joined and ran across your post. How is Rebecca doing now? Did she finish her Neurobiofeedback and if so, what were the final results?

Thank you,

Neurofeedback was definitely a therapy that helped improve Rebecca’s health. Focusing on the brain gut connection was the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebecca turned 26 last November. She continues to skate with Disney On Ice and is touring Eastern Europe at this time. She works very hard to focus on her health which isn’t always easy being on the road, however she remains seizure free.
IMG_3027.JPG

Last edited:
Yes she is Freda... Thank you for your sweet comment

Hi Robin
That’s great to see Rebecca’s still going so well and enjoying Disney on ice.

I’m going to send you a private message shortly

Rebecca turned 26 last November. She continues to skate with Disney On Ice and is touring Eastern Europe at this time. She works very hard to focus on her health which isn’t always easy being on the road, however she remains seizure free.
View attachment 591

Your post has given me a welcome surge of hope. Thank you and yours.
:hugs:

Back
Top Bottom