not on any specific diets

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loudmouth

New
Reaction score
but wondered if there were any foods or supplements that i could add to my diet that didnt cost a lot(on a limited income)that mey help with seizure control/ with problems that may possibly be caused by my epilepsy meds. I am on gabapentin and topamax.could anyone give me some advice please.

Here is a link to some Alternative treatments including diets. Some what wonders, while other work fairly well. The costs for these treatments can range from very affordable to expensive. You should choose the one that you can afford to commit to follow.

I've been trying the G.A.R.D. diet. Like you I'm on a limited income so I have to do the best that I can to stick to it. So far I've been on it for at least nine months. My overall health seems better. But I still experience my seizures. So the G.A.R.D. is keeping my health stable along with my AED.

A good multi-vitamin would probably cover a lot of bases, but I think the following are worth considering/trying (in no particular order):

vitamin B6 (too much can interfere with Keppra)
vitamin B9 (folic acid)
vitamin D
vitamin E and selenium
omega 3 fatty acids / DHA
Taurine (amino acid)
magnesium
potassium
zinc
calcium

Check out the previous discussion on supplements for more ideas and this thread on http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...-side-effect-anticonvulsant-medications-2199/ as well. Another related thread: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/intractable-epilepsy-tied-nutritional-deficits-944/

Bernard
how much B6 should you take that will not affect the keppra?

I don't know. You should probably ask your pharmacist or neuro.

vitamin B6 (too much can interfere with Keppra)
[/url][/b]

How does B6 affect keppra? I'm currently on keppra and have been taking B6 supplements to help with my energy levels. In the last couple days, I've found myself to be very irritable and angry. I'm wondering if I'm experiencing kepprage? My neuro. passed away suddenly in April and I have an appointment with a new one, but she is unable to see me until the end of September! They will not advise me of anything until the doc has actually seen me. My PCP hasn't been exactly helpful either.

I see my doc on the 14th..I will put this on my list of questions to ask him about.
he started me on 500 Keppra 2xs a day in April and there were no side effects. But in May, he changed it to 750 Keppra 2xs a day and then the drowiness set in. It really concerned me to because it was giving me the yawns and yawning is my precursor to my seizures. I read on here about B6 and added 200 mg with my morning dose of Keppra and it has been a huge improvement in my energy. I have been seizure free since being on the Keppra but that doesn' t comfort me much as I would go weeks or months between seizures when I wasn't on meds.

but wondered if there were any foods or supplements that i could add to my diet that didnt cost a lot(on a limited income)that mey help with seizure control/ with problems that may possibly be caused by my epilepsy meds. I am on gabapentin and topamax.could anyone give me some advice please.

My suggestions would be as follows:
a diet mostly of vegetables with a few varied fruits each day. Organic proteins, and whole grains. No Dairy, No Soy, No Corn

Supplements that I have found to be beneficial to my daughter and brain health are:

Magnesium
Taurine
Fish Oil (high quality)
Complex B
Selenium
Zinc
Vit D
Vit E
DMG
mB12
Biotin

How does B6 affect keppra? I'm currently on keppra and have been taking B6 supplements to help with my energy levels. In the last couple days, I've found myself to be very irritable and angry. I'm wondering if I'm experiencing kepprage?

A little bit of B6 is reported to help curb Kepprage. Too much can interfere with Keppra's therapeutic action. I'm not a biochemist nor a pharmacist and I don't know where the thresholds are (I suspect it is different for everyone depending upon their diets, weights, metabolism, etc.). Short of professional advice, I'd say start with a little bit and listen to your body.

I just learned something:

Zinc apparently interfers with magnesium absorption. It does say high doses, but I would think giving them two hours apart would be advised.

High doses of zinc in supplemental form apparently interfere with the absorption of magnesium. One study reported that zinc supplements of 142 mg/day in healthy adult males significantly decreased magnesium absorption and disrupted magnesium balance (the difference between magnesium intake and magnesium loss) (2).

Magnesium

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom