not sure whether to go for diet or med?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Belinda5000

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
My neuro started talking about a med for partial onset seizures w, when he gave me a call one day out of the blue.

I had a screaming sz this morning and got my dh attention.

I really don't care to blow up like a balloon on the diet either.

I'm just not to sure anything will work for me at all.

Belinda

If you feel up to trying a diet, I think it might be worth a shot, especially if your neuro is supportive. Although they are high-fat, the Ketogenic and MAD diets are no-carb/low-carb, so they don't tend to cause weight gain. They should be tried under the supervision of a dietician/nutritionist, so adjustments can be made to the diet if necessary.

I am doing the LGIT or low glycemic index treatment which is the least strict of the 3 diets and I actually have lost weight. It really depends on your body. The diets and meds work in different ways. I have tried many different medications over the last year and none seem to work. I just started the LGIT diet about 2 months ago and a new medication and it seems that the combination of the two has decreased the number that I am having. I would talk to your doctor and work with them to figure out the best treatment because with some seizures the diets are not the best treatment.

I really don't care to blow up like a balloon on the diet either.

Most people actually lose weight on any variation of paleo/low carb/MAD/GARD/ etc.

As to blowing up like a balloon, these diets are very anti-inflammatory causing your body to get rid of any excess water weight in your tissues.

Also, you don't need to choose either/or, meds/diet. You could do both and perhaps later when your seizures are under good control, try backing off the meds slowly. That's what I have done. I'm now taking half of what I was initially prescribed with full seizure control.

Back
Top Bottom