[Research] Oh no -- here comes the sun

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

wootburgers with awesomesauce and fries!

...can I get one of those to go...?:roflmao:

You gous are too crazy, lol. Glad to hear that your partner is having a better day and the lamictal might be doing its job occb :)

Me too Zoofemme -- I just spoke on the phone with him, and although it's a really sunny day (which usually makes him want to crawl into a hole in the ground), he's playing guitar, and painting and feeling good. Huzzah!

Reading about his dose increase working just made my day!!! I told you Occb that you would see a change in him once the dose went up. Watch and see once it goes up more. This is great news!!

tam bam

It is great to see that change. He did dip this afternoon from 3-5 (exhaustion, pain, moods), and had some confusion in the morning from 9:30-11, but nowhere near as severe as it's been in the last little while. He's been pretty focused and in a goood mood since I've been home.

Maybe he's getting a little of the Lamictal lift. I was pretty perky for the first couple of months on it.

Lamotrigine is supposed to be good for depression, so maybe.

It seems his day wasn't as seizure-free as he originally reported, so I have to update the diary.

Also, I listened to the recording, and the psych described some of the night-time movements as, "classic descriptions of seizures called jacksonian march." I can only guess he's talking about the ones where the jerking or shuddering starts in one part of the body then moving to another, then another. At least that's been cleared up for us.

Huh -- the jacksonian march seizures are abnormal movements of the body which don't affect awareness -- so some of the jerking that moves through his body, but also the weird neck thing, plus the tingling he used to get which moved from his feet to his hands, leaving the fingers painfully tingly/burning (that one went away with the reduced Effexor dose)

Here's a little info piece from MedicineNet

I guess the psych was a little confused by these because he has similar movements in his sleep sometimes, without consciousness.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lamotrigine 300 mg
Effexor XR 150 mg
Xanax --
taken ??

Partner's still asleep. He's doing the deep followed by shallow breathing that I associate with his night-time episodes, but he's not moving around. I had woken him for a moment earlier, and he said he felt terrible, so it's not sounding like a promising day -- we need to get him on the reduction schedule for Effexor ASAP. I've been wanting him off that crap for over a year, and now I'm happy that we have a doctor's endorsement.

I realized last night that his clean psych eval will allow him to become a client at the chronic pain clinic, and the psych is recommending a referral to that clinic, so, awesomesauce there. I'm composing a letter to lazydoc requesting a referral to the E clinic and not to the neuro... hopefully my letter will convince him to do that. Partner says it's not necessary, then I explained why it was necessary. He grudgingly agreed to it, and said he'll tell lazydoc that his girlfriend doesn't trust his memory and insisted on writing a letter. The thruth hurts.

Off to wake partner so we have a little time together before I go to work. Tomorrow is a holiday and I'm HAPPY about that.

Partner woke up with severe nausea which didn't go away in the half hour before I left, but did lessen. I saw him stare off three times this morning *sigh* Two steps forward, one step back... as always...

Last edited:
Things really really seem to be looking up. *knock on wood*

Thats great that he is getting into a pain clinic.

do you think its possible that he might have Fibromylagia? from the pain being there so often? I heard that fibro can show up after even the simplist of injuries

I hope tomorrow is a "Good Friday" all around.

Me too Nak!

I don't think it's fibro, although, I don't know for sure. Considering he had leg pain in highschool, which he attributed to walking too much makes me a little suspicious. FLE seizures are known to be very unusual and are easily attributed to some other illness (tam bam can tell you stories about that, and her FLE is documented on EEG!) That mystery pain seems to be common with the FLE sufferers here makes me think this is seizure activity, and not some other illness.

Also, I was thinking about it this morning -- his leg pain got significantly worse while he was on gabapentin (which was the med that he had a severe reaction to and worsened his seizure activtity) and disappeared for a while when we took him off of it. Also, he has had a scrip for codeine (without tylenol), which he's been taking, and not telling me about. I had told him to stop it, because, like the gabapentin, I think it worsens his leg pain. He's all out now for the next week (last taken on Monday, and Tuesday was a bad leg pain day), so we'll see how that goes for him. I'm betting the next week if he has leg pain, it will be more bearable.

He knows I pay attention to these things, and so far everything I've noted and speculated on has been SPOT ON, so why he doesn't listen to me is still a bit of a mystery...

No offense to all the men or to your partner but I can tell you why he doesn't listen to you because it is a man thing. My husband does it too. LOL! :roflmao:

tam bam

Back
Top Bottom