Orthodontics increasing Seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Good morning all, has anyone investigated the relationship of metals and seizures....

A neuro years ago tested my son (not having seizures at that time) for heavy metals...we were looking for developmental delay causes at the time.

Although he didn't show an unusual amount of any ONE particular metal there was enough of SEVERAL that the neuro felt that could be a problem and we went through a series of chelation steps...I never really noticed a significant change/benefit.

But yesterday we removed his braces to facilitate an MRI this afternoon...

I looked up the dates of the seizure onset and the braces being applied....we put the braces on OCTOBER 2006 (I am calling today to find out exact dates)...and the seizures started OCTOBER 16TH, 2006! AND seizures have continued to increase over the last 1 1/2 years.

Is this just a coincidence or could this have contributed to onset? Note he had been seizure free for 9 years with no medication... and previous seizures had come after vaccines (many people have questioned the mercury content of the vaccines...but I have never been able to determine that).

Curious if anyone else out there has had issues with metals or done any kind of testing ...

Pam
Sam's mom

Hi Pam! Actually, the braces might have contributed to the onset. I have a friend whose son's migraines disappeared the day he got his braces put on. Another friend had braces put on to alleviate back pain. From what she said, there's ALOT of nerves that go near the place where your jaw hinges. So moving teeth can effect the rest of the body.

Stacy (my wife) has been tested for heavy metal toxicity (some was found) and had some chelation therapy many years ago. This was during the time that she was also starting a pseudo-LGIT diet and using EEG neurofeedback for the first time - enabling her to go 4 years completely seizure free without any AEDs.

okay now this is very interesting, because just this week I found someone that could finally read Rebecca's hair test (most doctors had no clue), and I am told that she is mercury toxic.

I also have been putting off the ortho bit due to seizure issues. Even worried about going to the dentist and wondering what changes in care we are going to see. I was actually going to investigate the removable type. I know that they are expensive but I was thinking it might help with the mouth sores if there is biting during a Tonic Clonic seizure. Now it might be necessary if there is an increase in seizures due to the metal factor.

She did have a root canal prior to her onset of seizures, and I know somewhere I read that there could be a connection to this as well.

May I ask what you both did for chelation. I am researching this to do it properly. My doctors would have a fit I am sure. Are you familiar with ALA and Andy Cutlers protocol?
I need to begin this ASAP.

Pam - your son is the one that is 17 correct? Rebecca was born in '91 and I am told that during that time ALL vaccines had mercury preservatives. The MMR never has, but they are saying lately that it is believed that the others compromised the immune system enough to allow the MMR and whatever else they give the same day, were far too much for the little bodies to fight against. Therefore back into the bloodstream and to the brain.

Robin, Yes my son, Sam is 17... what area of the country was Rebecca born.... Sam was born in San Francisco, April 30th 1991.

I have tried many times to get info on the DPT that was used (prior to the infantile Spasms)...but unsuccessfully. I have often wondered if other children experienced adverse reactions during that same time in the same area...possibly a "hot" shot batch of vaccines. Our Pediatrician reacted above and beyond when we came in saying our baby is doing this little "hickup" thing...

It was pedi's day off...she came into office towing 4 of her 5 boys (2 sets of twins under 10 years old) before we left the office... Don't get me wrong I am thrilled that she came in and we were able to get EEG that day and ACTH within the week... I truly think it made the difference for Sam. BUT I have always wondered if they knew to watch for adverse reactions for that particular batch... I have asked, but they say no....I'm sure they would never admit to it anyway.

As for the orthodontics...I will be watching closely to see if Sam has anymore seizures....we were on a 20+ day schedule since end of December.... We did just increase his Keppra, so we will probably never know if it is the keppra or braces removal IF WE DON'T HAVE MORE SEIZURES...a problem I would love to have!

Chelation...we did it through a neuro in Austin, Texas. I would not do it without a doctor.... I even did it along with my kids (typical daughter and Epileptic son)...we all showed higher than normal metals....

A couple weeks after taking the Pill...I broke out in hives all over my face and body...freaked me out as I had never had such before...evidently it was a reaction to getting the stuff out of my body!

My son's teeth are beautiful...but if it comes to pass that the braces had anything to do with it..Yikes...they looked fine before.

Pam

I was pregnant with Rebecca in Marin County. We moved south during my 6th month. Interesting coincidence.

I have found information on chelation, and it seems it is very easy to do it wrong. However, the info also says that many doctors don't have a clue as to how to do it correctly. I am remembering reading about some great doctors in TX. Is it the Friendly House? I want to do it myself too, and also one son if not both. They both have immune issues.

Did your son have difficulty with the metal braces during his seizures? Perhaps he doesn't have an issue with biting his tongue or sides of the mouth. Rebecca does from time to time, so I hesitated putting that type on. I know I bit myself many times and I am not even seizure prone.

Interesting discussion

I had been on, actually I was a
"lab rat" *laughs* - in the
Orthodontic field; because of
birth defects - I had everything.
Wore them for over 19+ years
once all my Adult Teeth grew in
and they had to pull some of my
Baby Teeth out manually due to
deformities.

I had those heavy metal bands
(Not the Heavy Metal ROCK bands,
Sorry Spencer! :pfft:) to retainers.

HOWEVER - I had to go to my
Orthodontist frequently because
the bands (all types) were tearing
up the insides of my mouth and
all the way up to the "new fangled
retainers" (they tasted worse than
.... ____(add the more horrible
word you can think of here)___!)

The Problem? I was tearing them
up or it was tearing ME up (It was
actually Nocturnal Seizures) and
later, my Orthodontist realized I
had Epilepsy because I was grinding
those retainer plates down to nothing
in less than a week and a half or two
weeks and when he consulted with
the School, it was already confirmed.
That's how he knew. He had "sworn"
at several times I had Petite Mals in
his office but wasn't sure; HE is still
very much active but soon will be
retiring. We do touch bases now and
then ... Same with his buddy who is
an Oral Surgeon who pulled my wisdom
teeth only under my Ortho's assurance
that I wasn't going to chomp his hand
off. And while yes he was nervous,
but he only did my wisdom teeth and
no more. He wasn't a high risk Oral
Surgeon. I didn't get my first cavity
until I was 22 or 23, because of the
Grand Mal (Tonic-clonic) that cracked
the tooth, and my Dentist not only filled
it with a little Mercury for support and
topped it all off with Silver (still have
the Silver I think in my jewelry box,
I lost my entire tooth at another time
in another Tonic-clonic); it was solid.

-------------------------------------

Metal in mouth causing seizures?

Naw! I had seizures before that.

Metal in mouth increasing seizures?

Naw! Seizures stayed the same.

Mercury fillings causing seizures?

Naw! You're most likely to get into
trouble with Mercury from playing
with a broken thermometer, eating
shellfish or fish that's been exposed
to Mercury waters than what's in your
mouth.

Lead fillings causing seizures?

Naw! Your jaw would be triggering off
all the store alarms, airport alarms,
metal detectors, and you wouldn't
be able to use MRI, MRA, or specific
scanners .... and worse, your jaw
would be sagging ... and your WORST
nightmare would be .. someone would
be breaking in your house to kill you
for your lead in your mouth, and not
just for the copper pipes in your house
too!

:agree:

Last edited:
Stacy did chelation via IV drip at her doctor's office.

Did you do any research on the Cutler protocol?
I have been reading negatives on the drip.

Stacy did chelation via IV drip at her doctor's office.

Dr. Cutler says on page 89: "Therapeutic approaches currently offered by some practitioners but which should NEVER be used include: DMPS by injection except when oral administration is contraindicated and dosage is low, DMPS or DMSA on any schedule not involving frequent administration of equal doses for at least several days in a row, EDTA chelation, or penicillamine in any form. Supplementary cysteine, glutathione, or a "high sulfur" diet, or chlorella should NOT be used. All of these "therapies" will be VERY HARMFUL to you."

Dr. Cutler says in page 90: "For most people the proper chelation protocol using DMSA and LA (Lipoic Acid) is: . Starting 4 days after the last filling is replaced, 50-100 mg DMSA every 4 hours (including getting up at night to take a dose) for 2-6 months, until urine mercury is reduced 80%. . Then DMSA 50-100 mg + LA (Lipoic Acid) 50-200 mg every 3-4 hours (including getting up at night to take a dose) for about 3 days per week. When you feel all better, keep going for a few months. You may need to do this anywhere from 6 to 36 months depending on how sick you were to start and how hard your body holds on to the mercury. . It is important to keep taking your supplements and medicines during the whole time you are chelating."

http://www.noamalgam.com/#people

Last edited:
I found this paragraph interesting in:
Amalgam Illness: diagnosis and treatment
by Andrew H. Cutler

If dissimilar metals touch in your mouth they make a battery and one of them dissolves. If amalgam touches another metal it is the amalgam that dissolves. Very rapidly. This releases vast quantities of highly toxic mercury ions. This may occur if a crown touches an adjacent filling, if a crown is placed over a filling (which is hard to tell, though an amalgam tattoo around the base of the tooth is a giveaway), if a root canal is done through a crown and an amalgam filling is used to close it, if a bridge is placed over or next to amalgam fillings, et. If health problems start to happen rapidly after a crown, bridge, etc, is placed this is most likely the problem The work has to be re-done immediately, removing all amalgam from contact with a dissimilar metal. This is a very dangerous situation if you let it go! On the other hand, you will get well pretty quickly if you do correct this problem right away.

Update on Sam's braces and seizures

Hi everyone. I have been offline for awhile, we moved to San Antonio from Chicago back in late May. But I just wanted to update you all on Sam.

We have had no seizures since the braces were removed. YEAH!!!! I looked back and they started the week we got the braces on!

Is there a connection, I don't think we will ever know. Because the week we took the braces off, we also increased his Keppra by 500 mg. (to 1500 mg. 2X/day).

thanks again for all your support.

Pam

Bernard, Thank you for the citation, it was really clear. Doesn't look like Sam will ever be off the meds. So I guess I should start checking the long term side effects of Keppra. When he was younger he was on Tegretol...really took its toll (permanently). Hopefully we won't see the same from the Keppra. So far I see little or no side effects.

Thanks. Pam

My daughter started having seizures about 6 weeks after getting her braces on. She wore for about 6 years. In 2008, when she she was approaching the time she would get her braces off, she would go in for adjustments about every two weeks and she was having seizures about every two weeks. Prior to this, she only experienced TC seizures 3-4 times a year. Then in 2009, as they were doing the finishing touches, she would go in for adjustments once a week, and was having seizures once a week. During the Fall, I question both her Neurologist and her Ortho because a friend's friend thought there had been a connection and had taken her daughter's seizures off. Both looked at me like I was crazy. I asked for records and I could relate many of her seizures to brace adjustments. We really felt there was a connection and could not wait to get those braces off. My daughter's braces came off in February and she did not have another seizure until April 2009, which was her first night-time seizure and, sadly, her last. We lost her through the night to SUDEP. We did not immunize our daughter.

My daughter's braces came off in February and she did not have another seizure until April 2009, which was her first night-time seizure and, sadly, her last. We lost her through the night to SUDEP. We did not immunize our daughter.

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of Chelsea due to SUDEP. Since her loss, you are doing wonderful work here in Colorado to enlighten the world of SUDEP.

Back
Top Bottom