Pain relief from medication?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heavy Kevy

Stalwart
Reaction score
I noticed after my last seizure that left me with scrapes, bruises, a swollen knee (old injury) and even stitches above my eye. There’s been minimal physical pain. These would have been injuries that I’d normally be reaching for ibuprofen or aspirin. I’m curious if all the seizure medication I’m on is also working as a pain reliever.

I think some seizure meds can dampen peripheral pain, though that’s not necessarily a good thing (Dilantin can make your toes go numb).

Maybe you're just getting tougher. :)

I know that I've SEVERELY burned myself--second & third degree at least 7 or 8 times during complex partials & never had any recollection of doing it. I would only feel the pain once fully back to normal after the seizure ended. Family often can't understand how a person can injure themselves so severely without feeling the pain while it's happening.

With the black eye and stitches I joked “You should see the other guy” as if I got in a fight.
My daughter says “The other guy was a flight of stairs!” At least I know where she gets her sarcasm from. 😄

The one drug that I took for several years that I know has anti-pain properties is carbamazepine. It was about 10 years ago when, after weaning off that drug, I started having frequent headaches, approx. once every three weeks, which sometimes would linger for days. I’m sure it was a rebound effect from the tapering since I had taken that drug for so many years. Luckily, the frequent headaches stopped after about a year after I tapered. I don’t know what med you take, but I’ve certainly known that carbamazepine can have anti-pain properties.

That’s one of the few meds I haven’t tried. Thanks for the sharing.

I’m feeling numb more than tough. 🥱

I know that I've SEVERELY burned myself--second & third degree at least 7 or 8 times during complex partials & never had any recollection of doing it. I would only feel the pain once fully back to normal after the seizure ended. Family often can't understand how a person can injure themselves so severely without feeling the pain while it's happening.

I few years ago during a seizure I walked around the house with a hot curling iron in my hand. I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns and even had to have a skin graft. Never felt a thing. It was someone else that saw the huge burn bubble that was as big as half the palm of my hand and three fingers. Everyone, even myself, can't believe that I didn't feel anything during or after.

911 hates when you call and you aren't panicked. Had second degree burns on my foot from dropping boiling water on it. But shock and several other things I was to calm for 911 to take me seriously. They said drug seeking behavior till the got out their and looked at it. Looking back have been accused of drug seeking behavior several times till they looked at it and it may have been because of lack of panic. But shit 200 some odd stitches later you get used to stuff falling off. My favorite is still a friction burn on the side of the road that permanently damaged my thumb. But the emt just gave me sissors and let me cut the dead skin off and dress it myself

Last edited:
I have a 24/7 headache that I've finally named 'Howard', no offense meant to anyone who actually owns that name.
I've taken Ibuprofen for him, for years. Never really worked though, and now that I'm in kidney failure I cannot take it at all. So I switched to Tylenol. So, NOW my Docs are blaming that for my liver issues. Well, fine, then HELP ME. Nope. As many have put it in this thread, "Drug Seeking Behavior". (rolling my eyes)
Hasn't anyone in the Medical Profession before -when, six years ago? Less?- heard of "PAIN RELIEF SEEKING BEHAVIOR"?
And what are we PAYING them for, anyway? WHO WORKS FOR WHOM, IN THIS FIELD?

My 2 favorites were going in with bleeding skin cancer and being accused. The other was after the doctor accused me in the hallway. Pulled me to the side and told me how to make the drug I needed

I'd pay real money for that recipe. Kidding, of course. I cannot get this Forum in Dutch and lose the first Forum that hasn't bullied me in -well, forever.

You were insulted by a Doctor that was trying to help you? Whyever for?

A doctor assuming i wanted pain meds for one. That is just running from a problem not fixing it.

I always assume that it's because they don't want to lose their license, nor have their 'malpractice insurance' (whatever it's called today) rates increased, so we shake hands on that. For certain.
The thing that irritates me, is that I *AM* wanting pain relief. Just something non-narcotic and not addictive... but they still won't help. I mean, like I'd said, don't WE pay THEM for help??

Well after slipping and falling on my hand I must have torn something. I can still move it so I don’t think anything is broken. Super painful when it happened. It’s awfully swollen but doesn’t really hurt.
Meanwhile I carried a heavy chair down some stairs and my knee is swollen. Not really painful but enough to bother my sleeping.
So I am still feeling some physical pain. I guess that’s a good thing???

Well after slipping and falling on my hand I must have torn something. I can still move it so I don’t think anything is broken. Super painful when it happened. It’s awfully swollen but doesn’t really hurt.
Meanwhile I carried a heavy chair down some stairs and my knee is swollen. Not really painful but enough to bother my sleeping.
So I am still feeling some physical pain. I guess that’s a good thing???
First suggestion is to put ice on your knee for 20-minutes as ice will bring the swelling down. 20-minutes on then 20-minutes off. Second thing is for the pain Tylenol is what you're wanting can obtain this at any pharmacy and speak with any pharmacist on dosage if unsure how to take it. I go with 500 mg every 6-hours. This is Acetaminophen and it can be gotten over the counter at any local pharmacy as I said lastly this item is one of the safest on the stomach. Another thing you can do is drink water to stay hydrated as that should help with the healing. Oh, when you are sitting back and relaxing, elevate your leg as that will help. I wouldn't be so quick on wrapping it with anything just yet, leave it be on that matter. Go through the next few days with the above and you should be okay. If you're still having issues, contact your primary doctor and let them know. Hope all works out and you get the feeling better soon!

My pain free streak ended 😔
Toothache last night that kept me up most of the night!! I saw the dentist this morning. Getting it removed next week. Probably should have done it years ago, but it rarely bothered me.
Surprisingly Tylenol and ibuprofen didn’t work at all. A little concerning to be honest.
The dentist prescribed me some amoxicillin Hopefully it elevates the pain. It feels like sinus pressure is causing the tooth to ache. The change of seasons always gets me somehow.

Last edited:
My pain free streak ended 😔
Toothache last night that kept me up most of the night!! I saw the dentist this morning. Getting it removed next week. Probably should have done it years ago, but it rarely bothered me.
Surprisingly Tylenol and ibuprofen didn’t work at all. A little concerning to be honest.
The dentist prescribed me some amoxicillin Hopefully it elevates the pain. It feels like sinus pressure is causing the tooth to ache. The change of seasons always gets me somehow.

if not mistaken amoxicillin is an antibiotic and with that being said, it will take approximately 2-3 days for the medication to begin working with your system. I say the timeframe as every person is different and also as I'm recalling the information I was given when I had taken the antibiotic for another reason at another time. Hopefully as the amoxicillin begins working you will start to feel an improvement. I'm far from being a doctor but have to wonder if there's some type of infection that has taken place with the tooth itself which is reasoning for the medication? Just a thought. I do hope you get the feeling better soon and this issue is no longer a worry.

Yes it is an antibiotic. From what I read it’s the first thing dentist prescribes. Hopefully I get relief sooner rather than later.
It’s frustrating that if my health was better it’s something I might have taken care of earlier. (nice excuse) 😉
We had a couple nice days this week. I took full advantage and was outside doing all sorts of fun things. The pain has only been at night. The additional seasonal sinus pressure may be something.

Back
Top Bottom