(people with medical issues only) medical bracelets or necklaces

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DAVE1967

New
Reaction score
i have some people telling me if i wear one it's like putting a label on yourself. How many people feel thats true & it's not?

I never wore one for the longest time for that same reason. Now that I do, nobody seems to notice. Only once a classmate came up & asked if I was allergic to peanuts since she had a peanut butter sandwich. Now I feel like it was me who perceived being labeled.

I have worn one for over twenty years. It has saved my life several times.

medic alert

i feel they are very necessary and you are not labelling yourself. both of my kids have them. my daughter(8) has asthma and my son(13) has epilepsy and migraines. they have never had a any complaints from school kids or anyone.they dont feel that people are labelling them at all. ever so often someone will ask them about them and they just tell it like it is...no issues, they are quite styling nowadays anyhow.
i should have one my self and would wear it proudly but cant afford a third membership in the house to medic alert. haha.
in my opinion, not wearing them when needed says that you are ashamed to have what you have and you shouldnt be. just about every one in the whole world has some issue of some degee and they choose to hide it or show it. everyone i know that hides their medical issues, feelings, problems....suffer alone. those who tend to reach out and share their issues heal faster and feel better as it opens it up to discussion. that is when one feels they arent alone and most things we try to hide are very common to alot of people.
sorry to ramble on, just how i feel and hope it helps you !

I plan on getting one, I feel it is a great way to advocate for a cure, great conversation starter.

I agree with you jaysmom. No one needs to be ashamed to wear one. I know I'm ashamed to wear one.

Back
Top Bottom