Pharmacists may be switching your meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My most recent Lamictal Rx had the generic substituted because the doctor forgot to specify "no substitutions". I thought I'd go ahead and try it, since the generic would save me $420/year. I've felt a little funny on it -- no seizures, but one moment of brain fog that may be a warning. If it happens again, I'll go back to the brand despite the cost.

The same thing happened to me this past spring with Keppra. The thing is, they look so similar, it is hard to distinguish between generic and brand name unless one reads the labels. Anyway, I did feel different, more brain fog, and had several CP seizures, one where I was burned again. I finally realized it was the generic medicine and told my epileptologist about it. She wrote a new prescription and personally called my pharmacy telling them NO generic. For me, paying that extra $$ is worth my life. It is a matter of life and death, as many accidents I have suffered from seizures.

I didn't have any problems, but the last Lamictal I received had three different kinds of generic in the same 90 day supply. That was not impressive to me and I told my pharmacist about it.

Slightly different note. I am never comfortable needing to ask these kind of things at the pharmacy. Alomost always other people around and you have to talk about your E.

I think I'm lucky. I go to a small neighborhood pharmacy and over time have built a relationship with the pharmacist there. Whenever the supplier makes changes for any of my generic meds, she tells me ahead of time. That's why I don't get my seizure meds mail-order from a nameless, faceless pharmacist. I get them from people I know and that know me.

On another note, I've noticed at online pharmacies that brand-name lamictal is cheaper than generic. I wonder why that is? My insurance company won't pay for the brand-name, which is crazy. They'd save money if they did. And it would give me a more reliable drug.

That's why I don't get my seizure meds mail-order from a nameless, faceless pharmacist. I get them from people I know and that know me.

On another note, I've noticed at online pharmacies that brand-name lamictal is cheaper than generic. I wonder why that is? My insurance company won't pay for the brand-name, which is crazy. They'd save money if they did. And it would give me a more reliable drug.

That is why I, too, get all my meds, not just seizure meds, from a real pharmacist, not a nameless, faceless pharmacist. If one of my doctors prescribes another new medication (I have more problems than just epilepsy), I can talk to my pharmacist face-to-face about any drug interactions.
The one time I did have a problem with my pharmacy, the pharmacist who does know me was out on vacation.

Fortunately, my insurance does pay for the name brand AED that my epileptologist prescribes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom