Pill box questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CJR

New
Reaction score
My father in law lived with us for 3 years as he battled with Pancreatic Cancer. Eventually he lost his life to the disease. During his life however, his medications were numerous and I still have all of his pill organizers. However, I hesitate to use them for my daughter's pills for several reasons. 1) They are huge as he took over 20 pills a day! 2) It might just be me but I don't want my daughter to associate the pill boxes with being sick (even with his death) and then HAVE to use them for her. 3) They're UGLY and my daughter is a tween.

Does anyone have any suggestions on small pill box/organizer that might be more child friendly? :ponder: She is currently taking meds 2x daily. Also, maybe something that might be easy to carry as she is bound to spend the night somewhere...eventually...

Thanks for your help...Again.

pill boxes

you could have her decorate one with stickers, puffy paint, etc to make it hers and seem less likely to look like a pill box. I use a am/pm pill box for my 9 year old and she didn't really react to it. I just told her we needed to use it because it was the best way to see if we remembered to take her pills that day. And she travels between her moms house and our house and it is very handy to transfer her medicine. I also just explained to her that a lot of people take medicine every day and it doesn't make her sick. I used myself as an example because I have to take daily thyroid pills because my thyroid stopped working. Lucky for us, she has not had any more seizures since taking the medicine, so she thinks her medicine really helps her.

That is a good idea. Try to help her associate the medicines with health. If she sees the pill box as a reminder of her grandfather's passing, she will probably do the same with the pills themselves. So try to make the pills a path to health and the pill box a link to that path.

However, I would get her her own. I have seen many different styles and if she has the chance to decorate it herself, that would be even better.

I think pumpkin stickers would be cool (see avatar).

:e:

I had a pill box that looked like a pocket watch. I've since traded it for one that is water proof though.

I think it best to look for one with your daughter so she can decide what she likes

I was thinking of the AM/PM pill boxes myself but hadn't thought about buying an inexpensive one and letting her decorate it herself. Being a very crafty girl I bet she'd love that.

At first she was real upset about having to take the pills but she has noticed an improvement in her seizure activity so she has quickly changed her opinion on the meds.

You can get an altoid box and create compartments that will hold an individual pill. That way she could decorate the box.
Film canisters also would work, and the top could be decorated with a day of the week.

I think we need a design contest...

We had one for a while that was a circle with Mon-Sun on the top. Not very large.
Now because we are just using vitamins and minerals, we use baggies and I slip a note in each one that reads AM or PM.

How do you handle the whole no-pills in school thing? I really feel like right now she doesn't need to carry her pills with her (unless she plans ahead to go to a friends house right after school ~ and quite frankly until we get this under control thats kinda out) but if they switch her meds to more than twice a day or give her a secondary one to treat "clusters" then I will need to get pills together for her school, right?

Right now she's on Phenobarbital 60 mg. And I have learned that it's considered a second line drug. Why is that? It's cut down the seizures but she still has 2-3 a day (eye rolling). She loves the drug because she feels like she can focus much better but she is also complaining about dizziness. Do you think that it's likely the Neurologist will take her off this drug to try a "first line drug"?

You get a special form from the school and have your doctor sign it. It explains how much the child is to take and when. The school nurse or office manager typically has these locked up and when the child comes in to take one, it is noted on a chart. So you can go in and make sure that she is getting the correct dose.

Just remember to get a new form with each change of med.
Also make sure this is changed on her emergency card. This is very important information that is given to the EMTs in case of emergency.

Back
Top Bottom