poll: what are your daily epilepsy struggles?

daily struggles

• depression

Votes: 68 54.0%
  • psychotic thinking

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • dealing with medical community / Rxs

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • stress / anxiety

Votes: 86 68.3%
  • feeling lost / helpless

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • feeling separate / loneliness

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • panic / fear

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • pain management / coping

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • not driving / other physical challenges

Votes: 74 58.7%
  • disbelief / rationalizing

Votes: 26 20.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So good to hear what you lot are goin through cos I am going thorough the lot, and when its bad its very very bad but when its good its awesome or something!! Dont always know correct words.

Not being able to drive. I'd love to be able to take my daughter to reading group at the library, visit grandparents, grocery shop, and heck go grab a smoothie whenever the mood struck. :(

How do I select none. I'm doing well. I'm just tired. I really can't complain. I've gone without driving and I've been depressed with the reality, but really, I'm in good shape. I'm able to make a living and live a normal life. I'm very happy with that. I wish everyone here could do the same. Not only can I drive, but I race. I have become a member of different racing communities and I get to talk about that on my radio show. I'll never give up on the things I want in life.

not being able to drive.

lonliness

frustration

depression gets me every now and than,I just get fed up and want a new life altogether.

It all depends upon my circumstances. In here, I am part of a community of people with a common purpose...to vent, understand and publish our frustrations, medications and side effects to others if they wish to know.
Outside of here, my true friends accept it. I just take this all one day at a time.

I seem to think now that almost everything is just more challenging (harder if you will)

Walking down the hall at the hospital complaining about my day, and rubbing my hands because I was cold and in pain. I open the door to a restroom I needed, only to see an old wrinkled man shaking pair a of tired knees sitting on the toilet, that I could have lived with out seeing honestly. I found myself a different restroom to be cold in, and complain .
Naked old man, I was quickly reminded, it could be so much worse and to quit complaining.

So headache and all,dripping blood, I am in a good mood. Early all week, I will be up early to give blood, but this is my last week.

my apartment always smells like urine, which says alot seeing as i have nearly no sense of smell. I hate to think of what it smells like to other people.

When I couldn't drive, I would say that was the worst... Now it's the fear of having another tonic-clonic when I start experiencing really strong partials that keep going... I REALLY don't want to lose my driving privileges again, and when I start getting those strong auras, I have to do everything I can to "stop" it.... I don't know if what I do helps, but nonetheless, it freaks me out... Speaking of which... I'm thinking I may need to take one of my Klonipins now... all of the stress from the past week is wearing on me, and today has been a day full of deja vus and butterfly in my stomach feelings :/

Thank you for making this thread. Lately I've been feeling extremely lonely. I've tried to thank God (I'm a Christian) for my blessings, tried to look on the bright-side, and yet I still have no friends and feel like a downright joke. And typing this embarrasses me, I feel ridiculous, humiliated, almost as though I'm not human, or having to learn to be human, a 'normal' human, but I feel like I have to put this, because I don't want to kill myself, and do what my brother did in 2012. I've been to all kinds of churches and I just don't fit in. Well, I certainly feel like I don't. Because meds don't help my Epilepsy I'm not allowed to drive, and that would be ok if I didn't live in an isolated area with my parents. I love them, but I would like to be less dependent on them. I would move out if I had a higher-payed job, if I wasn't discriminated for a condition that I didn't ask to be born with, or had a boyfriend/married someone who loves me, and who I love in return. Furthermore I get very down when I see my younger siblings with their husbands. My youngest sister is on her honeymoon. They both have successful careers, men who love them (which I'm happy for them) have many friends, and look like supermodels. That is wonderful for them, and I'm glad that they don't have my life, but as they're big sister, I feel anyway, that I have been a very bad role-model, that I'm not a woman they can look up to, and I feel like a third-wheel. The pain and disconnectedness that I feel is nearly indescribable. Of course naturally as a sinner I have been jealous, but I don't feel jealous of them, I feel left out, lonely. Society has conditioned us to believe that the oldest child has to be married first, and I know that there's more to life, that I have to put Jesus first, but this feeling remains. This torment engulfs my spirit, and I'm so confused. Also I know that this is a self-centred post. There are people in worse situations. But I feel so trapped, so tormented.

Last edited:
Jessica, for past number, in fact last few years I have been extremely depressed, especially as I am not allowed to drive. The past few months I have been practicing my yoga and 'Sip and Om' which appears on my computer which gives some advice on how to meditate tells us the 'answer lies within' and this is what I believe. When I now get stressed I try and relax ad look for the answer with myself. And miracoulsy it appears to work and I find the answer comes for me. The depression has disappeared, I am amazed, my family are amazed, I am the old person who used be, the happy free person who used be, so I advise you please, look for that yoga, and learn to relax and you will lear the answer and we both learn to drive again. We will once more be the free persons we once were.

I have set the alarm on my phone to go off and it reminds me to take my meds...I must set the alarm for important dates and times
:clap:

Medicine alarm going off this morning, and dialing a girl who told me she liked me last night, while still groggy half dead and trying to find my glasses to turn off my phone.

Back
Top Bottom