Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone ever heard of taking progesterone around your period? I read somewhere that some people take progesterone lozenges around their period to prevent having a seizure. Since that is usually when I have some little problems I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they do that and how it works for them. I also take birth control, can you take birth control and use the progesterone or is it one or the other? Because then I guess I would have to find out about coming off the birth control. Any feed back would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of progesterone lozenges. Most women with catamenial epilepsy use a prescribed progesterone cream AFAIK. If you don't have catamenial epilepsy, I don't think progesterone is going to help.

Most BC controls the estrogen levels which, yes, cause seizures. I chose to take Depo-Provera as my BC b/c it adds extra protection against seizures with the extra progestrone.

There are a lot of BCs out there that can help in this area. You may want to check around at them. Taking both BC and extra progesterone may be an issue.---LMT

The studies I found on Pub Med said that synthetic progesterone was not as beneficial as bio-identical progesterone.

Back
Top Bottom