QEEG and NEUROFEEDBACK

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Diary of Seizures

OVERVIEW: Below the history of my seizures, to the best of my recollection, is listed in chronological order below.

•At about 4-6 yrs of age the right side of my head struck a wall. It is not known if I had a concussion or lost conscious.
•Various time from childhood to 20’s had some head trauma, none required treatment.
•In my late 20’s I suffered 4 seizures in one day for no apparent reason. I was given Dilantin IV at the hospital and switched to Dilantin tablets upon leaving. Two weeks later I returned to work and did not have seizures. I am currently 62 yrs old.
•For many yrs no seizures occurred. During this time period I experienced stress and sleep deprivation on a regular basis, but no seizures occurred.
•At some point seizures returned. Various meds were tried. Eventually a combination of Dilantin, Keppra and Lamictal was used control seizures.
•At one point the Dilantin was reduced from 4 tabs/day to 2 tabs/day. A seizure occurred and the Dilantin was increased to 3 tabs/day and the Lamictal dose was also increased.
•On average a seizure occurs about once/yr.
•An MRI was performed in November 2012.
•A VEEG was performed in JAN 2013. A total 8 seizures occurred during the 5 day stay Meds were reduced to almost zero and I had sleep deprivation for 2 nights back to back. Partial epilepsy with impairment of consciousness was diagnosed. Also a radioactive substance was injected at the time of the seizure. A following scan will take place on 2/4.
•A psychological scan will be done in the near future.
•In Feb I will be getting a QEEG.

Any thoughts on the QEEG? Was it worth it? Have you had neurofeedback? Has it helped any?

THX

Hi underpressure, welcome!

I haven't tried neurofeedback, but I hope to at some point when I save up enough pennies. I think the technology is getting better all the time, but mainstream acceptance isn't there yet, at least not enough to have the process covered by insurance...

Hope it works for you.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi underpressure, welcome to the forum. :hello:

A QEEG just "takes a picture" of your brain activity. It's a diagnostic tool that helps neurofeedback practitioners define the protocol (set the goals) for the nfb training.

My wife has used neurofeedback training in the past (before the QEEG guided protocols that are popular today were being used) and it was very helpful. I think it's fantastic that you are considering it.

Hi underpressure, welcome!

I haven't tried neurofeedback, but I hope to at some point when I save up enough pennies. I think the technology is getting better all the time, but mainstream acceptance isn't there yet, at least not enough to have the process covered by insurance...

Hope it works for you.

Best,
Nakamova

you may want to check with your provider. I called mine and they stated a portion of it would be covered I will believe when it happens.

THX for the good wishes.

Hi underpressure, welcome to the forum. :hello:

A QEEG just "takes a picture" of your brain activity. It's a diagnostic tool that helps neurofeedback practitioners define the protocol (set the goals) for the nfb training.

My wife has used neurofeedback training in the past (before the QEEG guided protocols that are popular today were being used) and it was very helpful. I think it's fantastic that you are considering it.
I will go to my first consultation tomorrow. The price for the QEEG is steep, I am going to get details on the health insurance coverage. The sessions are not nearly as expensive as the QEEG? THX for the info.

On the other hand, they usually recommend at least 20 to 40 sessions, so those can add up in cost too. When I priced neurofeedback a few years ago, it was going to run something like $3500.

On the other hand, they usually recommend at least 20 to 40 sessions, so those can add up in cost too. When I priced neurofeedback a few years ago, it was going to run something like $3500.
The quote I got was $165 for initial eval, $700 QEEG and $140 for each session. Thanks for the price info, it gives me a ball park figure.:)

Welcome Underpressure!

I grew up on Dilantin and phenobarbitol. When I weaned off Dilantin and went on Tegretol I also had a seizure. I think making changes to any of these seizure meds put us at risk of another seizure.

My last seizure was in July while I on Tegretol. Doctors at the emergency said my sodium was so low that it could have triggered the seizure; then returned to say my sodium was probably low because of the Tegretol. They started me on Keppra, and once I was on a full dose we started to wean the Tegretol. It turned out that Keppra was not for me and by the end of November I had weaned off of Keppra too.

Since last fall when I started all of this weaning I've been doing neurofeedback. I'm happy to say that I've been drug free for the first time in my life and so far no seizures. The initial consultation including the QEEG ran up to $850, and my sessions are $90 a visit. I'll likely continue on a maintenance schedule until I get my driver's permit back, hopefully in July. It seems like a lot of money but after all these years on meds I now have osteoporosis and will do whatever I can to stay off of them.

Dottie -- it's great to hear the the NFB is working for you!

I'm saving up to try it again. It seemed to start to work but then I ran out of money to pay. Plus I will have to see if I can get someone to take me after work, due to I work nights.

Back
Top Bottom