Question about AEDs and Birth Control

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Quick question. I saw the GYN today and he wants to put me on Sprintec to regulate my hormones and help with my catamenial seizures. I currently take Carbatrol, Keppra, and Topamax. Do any of you all take Sprintec with epileptic meds? And if so, how do you feel? If not what birth control do you use with your epileptic meds? Thanks

I was taking Depo-Provera before I was diagnosed with epilepsy. I asked my gyno and neuro if taking it would still be ok and they said it would.

I was taking it with a good bit of different meds while I'd been on it, 8 years, and the most current were Depakote, Tegretol, Keppra and Lamictal. I didn't have any problems with it or with any of the other meds I'd been taking through the years.

Thanks Valerie. My neurologist finally got back to me today and said that it would be okay to take but I'd need to monitor my AED levels. I also got some relief to hear that I'm not the only one that is on so many meds. Most people I know take 1 or max 2 anti-epileptic meds and hearing that you were on quite a bit and doing okay gives me some hope.

epilepsy drugs lower the effectiveness of the birth control pill.

Your more likely to get pregnant on aeds if you just use the pill as bc.

Last edited:
Thanks Belinda. That's one thing I'm aware of. Most of my OB/GYNs have tried to put me on birth control pills and I've left one of them because he was not even aware that my AEDs would lower the effectiveness. I trust this GYN and he's putting me on the Sprintec for catamenial seizures, not birth control. He wants to regulate my menses and believes this will help control my seizures. I've been on it for a couple days and so far so good. I'm praying and hoping this will help :)

Thanks Valerie. My neurologist finally got back to me today and said that it would be okay to take but I'd need to monitor my AED levels. I also got some relief to hear that I'm not the only one that is on so many meds. Most people I know take 1 or max 2 anti-epileptic meds and hearing that you were on quite a bit and doing okay gives me some hope.

Make sure you ask both your gyno and neuro about which birth control pill you are thinking about taking. One may know something that the other doesn't about how it would react with having epilepsy and any of the meds that you are taking. It's good that you are doing that.

You'd be surprised to find out that there are many people taking more than one or two epilepsy meds. So you and I are not alone out there when it comes to this.

Make sure you ask both your gyno and neuro about which birth control pill you are thinking about taking. One may know something that the other doesn't about how it would react with having epilepsy and any of the meds that you are taking. It's good that you are doing that.

You'd be surprised to find out that there are many people taking more than one or two epilepsy meds. So you and I are not alone out there when it comes to this.
I asked them both and the GYN says this will help control my seizures. My neurologist researched it and after a day he called me back saying it's ok to take but he needs to monitor my AED levels. I WAS surprised to find out there are more people taking multiple epilepsy meds. It feels good to know you're not alone in something so thank you.

Back
Top Bottom