Questions About Video EEGs (or VEEGs)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I had to sleep on the bed with no covers - they like to capture your body motions without covers on and at home I like plenty of covers. I was lucky, I only had two nights - I'm one for pottering about and I found the whole experience physically and mentally restricting. Good luck with yours should you have one. :)
Nich,
That was the same reason why I had no covers. When I had mine it was end of Spring (a few weeks before Summer started) so it was starting to warm up.
The day time was warm but at night it was cooler so I wore flannelette Pajamas or tracksuit pants & zipped down jacket at night.
Each room was individually temperature controlled so you could set the temp to suit yourself. My Mum feels the cold more then me so she didnt have the air conditioner on much, when staff members would come in they'd say it's warm in here lol. I didn't notice it much as I was feeling hot one moment then cold the next which I'd say was a minor side effects from the meds being reduced.

I'm one for pottering about and I found the whole experience physically and mentally restricting. Good luck with yours should you have one. :)
I'm the same, I hate sitting around to much & am usually on the move.
I kept getting up to go to the toilet because I couldn't handle sitting down for so long, each time I got up I'd walk towards the window (which was near the ensuite) to see what the weather was like lol.

Last edited:
Hi BrandiBrat - You have certainly been a huge help for me, as well as Endless and CQ:). Thank you very very much for the information that you have given me. My Epilepsy Nurse will be visiting me at home in a little more than one week's time, so I will definitely mention the possibility of getting a Video EEG. If that's not possible, then another EEG or MRI which may be very useful to my new neurologist. If it is possible, then I will have a list of questions ready for when I ask the hospital that I will be at. Thank you again, BrandiBrat. I hope we can become good friends on this forum.

CQ:) - Thank you for answering my question about Halal meals. IF I do have to have a Video EEG, I will definitely ask the hospital about the meals they offer AND if they have a refrigerator (even better, either a refrigerator for my ward OR my own refrigerator). Yes, I will ask my epilepsy nurse everything she knows about a Video EEG. I don't think I would mind being in a EEG monitoring ward with other patients. Like I said in an earlier post, I would love to meet another Epilepsy patient - it would decrease my boredom.

I know that IF I have to do a VEEG, I would take with me to the hospital:
• My laptop and charger • Headphones • My mobile phone and charger
• Some of my books (I'm a Harry Potter and Twilight fan as well as a fan of Lorca's Blood Wedding) • My word search and crosswords books
• A writing pad (I love poetry and short stories and I hope that I can become a fiction writer and/or a poet someday!) • Urdu books for my mother to read
• Sugary snacks for my mother and me (she has frequent blood sugar dips even though she eats so much sugary stuff) • Digital camera (for pictures and maybe some videos)
• My own pillow with my own pillowcase (Endless suggested this in another thread) • Shampoo(s), Soap, Ointment, Lotion, Face Cream, Face Wash
• Two blankets (Mother and me) • My own slippers • Power extension cord for chargers
• Telephone numbers for Indian/Pakistani food delivery and Chinese food delivery • My mother's other personal items
If I have my VEEG during the school year (very likely), I would probably also bring my French and English books because I love both subjects.

Nicholas:) - Thank you very much for sharing your Video EEG experience. I appreciate other people sharing their experiences, but the experiences of Brits like yourself would give me a better idea of what to expect IF I have a Video EEG. Yes, I prefer covering myself with a blanket or duvet when asleep as well, even in hot weather, otherwise it feels uncomfortable. I hope that some of my friends would be able to visit me, otherwise I would have to persuade them by treating them to lunch or sweets from the local shops :D! I hope I get at least 100 metres of cable so that I can have frequent short walks and visit other patients and nurses as well.

My Epilepsy Nurse will be visiting me at home in a little more than one week's time, so I will definitely mention the possibility of getting a Video EEG. Yes, I will ask my epilepsy nurse everything she knows about a Video EEG.
Your epilepsy nurse should be able to answer most of your questions about a VEEG. My epilepsy nurse was the one who made all my appts that I had before my surgery so if I had any questions or any problems I used to ring my epilepsy nurse & she'd help me.

I know that IF I have to do a VEEG, I would take with me to the hospital:
• My laptop and charger • Headphones • My mobile phone and charger
• Some of my books (I'm a Harry Potter and Twilight fan as well as a fan of Lorca's Blood Wedding) • My word search and crosswords books
• A writing pad (I love poetry and short stories and I hope that I can become a fiction writer and/or a poet someday!) • Urdu books for my mother to read
• Sugary snacks for my mother and me (she has frequent blood sugar dips even though she eats so much sugary stuff) • Digital camera (for pictures and maybe some videos)
• My own pillow with my own pillowcase (Endless suggested this in another thread) • Shampoo(s), Soap, Ointment, Lotion, Face Cream, Face Wash
• Two blankets (Mother and me) • My own slippers • Power extension cord for chargers
• Telephone numbers for Indian/Pakistani food delivery and Chinese food delivery • My mother's other personal items
If I have my VEEG during the school year (very likely), I would probably also bring my French and English books because I love both subjects.

If you are able to have a VEEG it might be best to ask your epilepsy nurse what you can & can not take.

I don't have a laptop but when I had my VEEG I had my mobile phone, I was able to use the mobile phones to play games on & text friends but I wasn't able to talk on my mobile because it reacted with the electrodes. If my mobile rang my Mum had to answer it lol. Also when I wanted to recharge my phone I had to recharge it away from the machines so I'd give my mum the charger & the phone & she'd plug it into a outlet near the door (away from the machines).

Taking your own pillow is a good idea, I to took my own pillow for both my VEEG & my recovery after my surgery because I didn't really like the hospital pillows lol.

You will most likely not be able to have a shower during the VEEG as you will probably be wired up the whole time. When I had my VEEG I had to have sponge baths, when I was ready for a bath I just let the nurses know & they'd get me some warm water, a towel & face cloth. I had my own shower gel & soap that I used. The nurses covered the screen of their monitor while I had the bath then when I was finished we would let them know so they could take the water, towels away & uncover the screen.
I didn't really like the sponge bath much but at less I was still able to bathe lol. I had trouble washing my back so my Mum had to help me there.

The worse part of any EEG is getting the dam glue out of your hair. I couldn't wait for when my VEEG was finished & as soon as the technician came in to take the wires of I jumped straight in the shower to have a decent shower.

Last edited:
I was quite cold.. the second night I was allowed a sheet :)

I'm not sure whether I could keep my mobile phone on. I didn't have a laptop, either, so not sure about this.
:)

CQ:) - Thank you very much for the advice. Yes, I just realised that I won't be able to have a proper bath (not the soak kind, the rinse and soap kind). Sponge baths would be ok, but I would also have to put my ointment/lotion on afterwards because I have bad eczema. I hope that the nurses cover the camera and monitor when I have a sponge bath as well. I don't get many calls on my mobile phone, I text my family and friends. I would play games on both my phone and my laptop. I included the power extension cord in my list because I knew that my electronic devices would have to be charged away from me. Yes, I would prefer two of my own pillows anyway.

nicholas:) - That sounds horrible. I don't think my neurologist and nurse would make me experience that since it's not one of my triggers. They might make me sleep-deprived and/or miss certain meals (mostly lunch, I love breakfast and dinner), though. Those may be two major triggers.

On the whole, the experience was okay so don't worry! There was no cameras in the bathroom so don't worry about privacy. I'm sure you will be al-right. :)

Thank you, nicholas:). Yes, they wouldn't be so daft as to put cameras in the bathroom. If there is, I'd get my sister to sue them (she's a Law graduate).

Back
Top Bottom