Radio over IP monitoring

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

grcg71

New
Reaction score
My adult son is moving out soon & will be living on his own most of the time.

He has grand mal seizures that occur mostly at night, but sometimes during the day as well.

We are looking for ways to monitor this without being intrusive.

Has anyone here been using "Radio over IP" for such an activity? If so, I would very much like to hear of your experience with it.

Thanks!

Is your goal to listen to audio over your computer? Reason I ask is because video is a possible option as well. If so, there could be a few ways to do so. Easiest way would be a security system. It may just come down to needing the interface. I've never done this, though.

You're probably not looking for opinion, but I'll give you mine anyway. I'd find that intrusive. Then again, I've got my wife to make sure everything is good and I can understand your worry and attempt to take every precaution.

I don't know about the mechanics of the monitoring, but since we all like to give our opinions here I agree with N Sperlo that that would be a very intrusive thing to do. If he is going to live on his own he needs to actually be on his own. I think you could find ways to check in with him for a while, but if you want to keep tabs on him 24/7 there is no reason he should move out. I don't know how old he is, but I'm assuming he is a man and capable of being on his own. You can't monitor him for the rest of his life. Maybe a Medic Alert system would be a good option for a while.

Best of luck with things.

Hey grcg71,

I agree with the above comments, monitoring him would seem very intrusive. Instead why don't you make a schedule time you two can talk, either on phone or by computer using something like Yahoo Instant messaging, which is quick an easy and unlike social media, it's private.

It could be a scheduled time like say 7:30pm to check in on each other, you on him and visa versa.

:piano: :pop:

Last edited:
A friend of mine with Parkinsons Disease has a button he wears around his neck. Should he fall & can't get up he pushes the button and tells the call centre what the problem is, who to call or what to do. Of course, for people with aphasia who can't talk after a seizure, I'm sure instructions can be given beforehand of how to react when the button is pushed.

While I was visiting a while ago he discovered that he could answer the phone with it if the phone was in the other room.

Sorry but I don't know what company he uses or what it's called but I'm sure there are similar services in the US. That would make sure your son is safe even if it isn't you he's calling (which gives him his independence) though if he agrees he can put you down as an emergency or contact number.

Last edited:
I certainly are with the intrusion aspect, although if he is comfortable with it that changes things a bit. I also agree on the Medic Alert system. As for actual monitoring via the internet, using a security system, or some other service, with video capability would probably be best. Just make sure he can block access for those, um, private moments. I know I would want that if I was single again and relying on family/parents to assist with monitoring of my current condition (sz or no sz).

As for radio over I for home monitoring, I can't say anything as I don't believe I have heard of it before and don't know much, if anything, about it.

Ultimately though, it does come down to what your son wants. We, as parents, have to let go of our child/children sometime no matter how easy or hard it may be.

Stay strong and never give up!

My brother-in-law monitored his parents home in a similar fashion that you are talking about. His dad had died and his mother was elderly but wanted to live in her home in Connecticut (my brother-in-law lived in Virginia). I believe it was both audio & video but I'm not sure. I remember this because my sister told me of a time when he had called because he hadn't heard or seen his mother.

If this is what you are interested in I can get more details from my sister. I think he had set times of the day when he would check in and was just watching for consistencies rather than hovering over his mom's every move.

At the very least it might do you both some good to have a set time to check in with each other until you are both used to the arrangement. I do understand the "intrusiveness" aspect but then again we are being watched and photographed everywhere we go without our permission. So if your son agrees then I would say set up some sort of arrangement that is comfortable for you both. I suspect that you will fall into a natural pattern.

I just heard back from my friend with Parkinsons Disease. He says that the button he wears around his neck is called "Lifeline" by Phillips. He's in Ontario, Canada so I don't know what/if Phillips has in the US.

He says it will automatically alert someone if he falls (hence good for T/C seizures) or if he pushes the button to call for help.

Back
Top Bottom