Regaining consiousness during a tonic-clonic.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My worst seizure to date, aside from the one I had last year (it's still a toss up which one was more traumatizing), was in 2006 if i recall correctly. My sister and I were on a plane trip to Alaska, all the way from Texas. The whole day had been really stressful because we'd missed the check in time for our original flight and had to book a new one for the same day and wait on it, I didn't eat well, and I'd had to get up early to begin with, so I hadn't much sleep, both my worst triggers. And once we got in the air, being at such a high altitude for six hours might have affected me too.

About 20 minutes from touch down I felt my the aura coming on, looked around for the flight attendant not knowing what to even tell her if I saw her, and to make it worse my sister wasn't even sitting next to me so she couldn't do anything. Next thing I knew, I felt like I was being resurrected and heard all this grunting and moaning, it was very confusing, and then I realized it was me, and I was still seizing. The guy who had been sitting behind me was a doctor, so he was looking after me and I could hear him explaining what was happening to everyone else. The strangest thing, and still proof to me that this actually happened and I didn't just dream it up as my neurologist thinks I did, is I got control back of one arm enough to pull out my epilepsy medical alert tag from under my shirt, and I watched him pick it up and look at it before dropping it again.

From the moment I came to, even though I was still seizing, there was no break in my awareness until I went to sleep later on when we reached the place we were staying. My neurologist had nothing to offer on it except that I must have dreamed it, as if I could ever just dream up something as horrible as what I went through during that. I want to know if this has ever happened to anyone else.

TL;DR
One time I had a classic tonic clonic and regained consciousness while I was still convulsing. Doctor says I dreamed it, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Anyone else ever heard of or experienced this?

Yes, I have had TC and did not lose total consciousness... it is very strange and confusing. Makes it scrarer too because you know what is happenning back can't control what is happenning.

I too am conscious during my seizures. My neurologist accepts my recollections as seizures :)

i have had a few were i was still awake,
one of my worse, I was awake for. I sat on the curb and bash in my front teeth, i was there for.

I've always had grand mals, but recently I believe I've had a few 'Petite mals'. I remember a couple of times having my wife stand over me while I was in the recliner and say, "Bill, you've had a seizure." I said, "When?" and she said, "Right now. You are having one right now.", Frankly, I refused at first to accept it. I've had a few that way now, and I can tell you, they're much better that TCs!

Yes,i also have had one tonic whilst still been aware off my surroundings.I could see and i could also hear everyone around me although i was still convulsing.Once it was over i was told i fell asleep in the chair for around two minutes then woke up,aware that i had a seizure.

When i told my doctor about the incident he put it down to the fact that they have my tablets at a pretty good dose,hence why i never went into full tonic.Guess i will really ever find out the reason for it,but it was sure weird.

I've had tonic clonic and have still been conscious more time I care to remember.

Back
Top Bottom