Research on music and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Music36

Stalwart
Reaction score
I came across some interesting information and thought I would share it. The brains of people with epilepsy appear to react differently to music than brains of those who don't have epilepsy. Brainwaves of people who have epilepsy synchronize with music. Their research findings suggest that music may be therapeutic in reducing seizures in conjunction with medication (not as a replacement for medication).

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2015/08/music-epilepsy.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
I've put together a playlist called"brain food" that contains songs and sounds I find particularly soothing. It includes the Mozart composition that has been found to have a neuroprotective effect on some people with epilepsy. It also includes a long recording of what sounds like a babbling brook, something that seems to keep my brain in focus without being distracting.

You might be interested in these CWE threads:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/mozart-classical-music-738/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/brainwaves-music-25510/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/music-auditory-stimulus-epileptic-brain-1386/

This is also kinda cool:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/turning-seizures-into-music-23949/

I saw intresting documentary on this subject it key A that surpose have this effect.
This guy who been using cannabis he had a trip and saw colour not in human eye spectrum.THEN YEARS LATER when he long stopped messing around with cannabis he went see Aida opera in dessert EGYPT and incrediable resonant amazed he saw colour again was so intense and beautiful he had to walk out for few moments he said was music that did it..
They done experiments on cats observed cats react to note A not sure flat or sharp..If got frisky cat and have piano handy put cat on knee and cat will react to note A sometimes trying find that note with paw.Watched it on tv not sure I was convinced cat was deliberately trying play piano but it serious programme.
My daughter had music therapy when at school it well documented music can do this

Music makes all the difference for me, it kind of wakes me up and gets me moving and thinking, TV is like an energy sucking device leaving you drained and dull.

Nakamova,

Thank you for the info. I love music and it is a great stress release for me. It also helps when I'm having auras. My aura is intense fear which can greatly effect my state of mind; especially, if they come in clusters. Listening to music can change my state of mind.

A musical note defines a moment in time.I put lot of Mozart on when really bad it true do help..Also if got noises obnoxious neighbours who blare music out put Mozart on loud as them and they turn their music down quick and fast not happen to me but a friend..Known fact Mozart has positive input in brain
If someone dies who I like or love I always put music on and often rock and roll people feel it disrespectful but it helps my brain to cope with things

Hi Music36,
My Epileptologist told me to do music therapy and listen to music every day and I have found it does relax me. I have temporal lobe seizures. I have also found that when I work with students in special education and the student will turn music on it will calm them down especially when they are ADD or ADHD. It's interesting how the brain works.
Wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Calming Effect of Music

I know I was very happy to find out that my satellite TV carrier had SIRIUS radio as some of it's channels. I listen to these different stations(mostly classic country) like a stereo anytime that I am doing something. Having this background music playing can make anything that I do seem easier!:clap:

ACsHuman

ACsHuman,

I like to listen to music when cleaning, sometimes. But, I greatly enjoy listening to music when I'm doing nothing else. I put in my ear plugs and close my eyes. Then, I can really feel the music.

Listening To Music

Music36,
I know what you mean about just absorbing the feeling of the music!
In the last 6 months I have found out how meaningful the lyrics to many songs are. Before, all I was listening to was the sound not the words!:bigsmile:

ACsHuman

ACsHuman,

I enjoy both lyrics and instrumental. I love to listen to guitar solos. I'm into heavy metal and classic rock, but I do listen to some other types of music as well. Some blues rock artists (Joe Satriani, Joe Bonamassa) can play great guitar solos. Well, Satriani is also hard rock.

I don't know if I have been here long enough to post this; nope haven't. I think the ILAE link above referred to something similar but it is broken.

If you try looking up scientific american and search the headline 'musicophobia: when your favourite song gives you seizures'

The lady's name is Stacey Gayle and the song was "Temperature".

When can you post links and put photos into your album someone wanted to see my animals?

I don't know if I have been here long enough to post this; nope haven't. I think the ILAE link above referred to something similar but it is broken.

If you try looking up scientific american and search the headline 'musicophobia: when your favourite song gives you seizures'

The lady's name is Stacey Gayle and the song was "Temperature".

When can you post links and put photos into your album someone wanted to see my animals?
I always thought you could

It's the best. If I can't play my violin I will dance or sing. I love Opera, Oh and the Voice! My fave show! I am a musician and the day I die Then I will be singing to God!

stilldancing,

I watch the Voice, too. I'm not into opera, but I do like Andrea Bocelli.

Music will always be my passion. I wish I could get this VNS out so I could sing again. But my son has perfect pitch and is not afraid of the stage. He demands it. My brother Greg has a beautiful high tenor voice. I had a friend I dated in high school ... remember that song by Milly Vanilli? Blame it on the rain? The one really singing it was my boyfriend in high school , He wrote a song for me and won the voice in Germany, and I think Russia Now I am Daring him to come back to America and try out there. Rayland Horton Lets see if we can get him out here! Ha! If its the last thing I do_Oh. He really is a nice person. Epilepsy informed.

I wish I was musically talented, but unfortunately I am not so I just enjoy listening. I did play the clarinet in 4th-6th grade, though. I performed in my elementary school band and sang in my elementary school chorus, but that's it. 6th grade was middle school so I was just in band class. I had a boyfriend when I was a teenager who played guitar (heavy metal). He would practice several hours everyday. I wish I could play guitar. Maybe I should try again b/c it's been many, many years since I picked up a guitar.

Porkette,

My 24-year old daughter has ADD. She has always enjoyed dancing to music. She says it helps relax her. I have a 6-year old nephew who has ADHD and he also enjoys dancing to music.

That happens after you've made a certain number of posts. In the meantime, if you want to direct someone to a link you can put it in asterisks or spell it out.

Back
Top Bottom