Sauna - does it trigger seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
My family is of Finnish background and saunas are very important.
We have one at least once a month if not once a week.
The past two times it has triggered a seizure for me and I was just wondering if this was a coincidence?
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

I've never had trouble with steam or infrared saunas but I know that many of the public infrared saunas all have signs outside of them saying that diabetics & epileptics should not use them.

Warm water gives me the goose shivers (I like warm water) so I don't know. Maybe google it and see if it pops up with anything. that's how I found this site.

The last hot tub I went in for any length of time I had about 4 seizures. I'm convinced.

My mother does not have E. However it was her trips to the hot tub that caused a few seizures that led to the discovery of her aneurysm.

I can have seizures if I raise my core body temperature and their are fluorescent lights in the room (T3/T4). I can prevent these seizures from happening through the use of medical marijuana prior to raising my core body temperature. I usually use medical marijuana in the parking lot of my gym before I work out lol. If only they knew!

One time I forgot my medicine and managed to jump off the elliptical machine before I seized and fell off thanks to an aura. I still need to get a card or something for the gym employee who helped me and didn't bother me or give me a hard time since then.

Back
Top Bottom