Seborrheic Dermatitis Linked to Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tayray

New
Reaction score
Since I have been diagnosed with JME I have gotten a rash on my face around my nose and between my eyebrows and around my eyes and eyelids. It looks like seborrheic dermatitis(red, flakey) which has been linked to epilepsy and other neurological disorders. Has anyone experienced this? I've gotten this before, but it has gone away after a few weeks. I think maybe it could be stress related because after my recent diagnosis I've been very stressed, but I made a dermatologist appointment to make sure because it seems to be getting worse. What are you thoughts? Experiences?

Interesting. Yes. I get it around my mouth and in my hair.

I'd love a link to the study, if you have it handy.

People who suffer from immune system disorders and neurological disorders seem to be more susceptible to skin problems especially if they have a hormonal imbalance and oily skin.

This is all I can really find. I have not been able to find any scholarly articles which explain the link. Maybe someone else can help us out!

Ha! I had this rash on my elbows for a couple of years that I could not get rid of. 3 days after I was diagnosed with epilepsy, I got my biopsy back-gluten problem! In 3 days I found out that I could not drive or eat!!! Happy days!!!

What medications are you on?

Some can cause really owie rashes and skin issues. Some can even be signs of SJS, a rare but potentially fatal rash.

I'm on 500 Keppra twice a day. The rash doesn't hurt it is just red and flakey and burns when I put makeup on to try to cover it up.

What does your PCP (primary care physician) say the rash is?

Since I have been diagnosed with JME I have gotten a rash on my face around my nose and between my eyebrows and around my eyes and eyelids. It looks like seborrheic dermatitis(red, flakey) which has been linked to epilepsy and other neurological disorders. Has anyone experienced this? I've gotten this before, but it has gone away after a few weeks. I think maybe it could be stress related because after my recent diagnosis I've been very stressed, but I made a dermatologist appointment to make sure because it seems to be getting worse. What are you thoughts? Experiences?

Hi Tayray, wow your experiences are pretty much identical to mine. I was diagnosed with JME in 1991 (when I was 18 ) and I have the same probs of red dermatitis patches around my nose, occasionally eyebrows and bizarrely a small patch at the centre if my chest. I also take Keppra but have had the red patches for longer than I've taken it.

I find oilatum natural repair cream (although I use a French label for the same thing called Physiogel) tidies up the patches just fine. Basically avoid creams with alcohol in them, it irritates.

I've only just today discovered the link between epilepsy and dermatitis - nobody has mentioned it to me before. Sorry you're experiencing the same symptoms tho'. Hope the Keppra controls the JME well for you. I've tried a few others over the years, and it's definitely the best for me, with minimal side effects.

Hi tayray: Welcome to the CWE mansion. ;-) Now, is the rash also itchy & (excuse the grossness of this word...) oozy/weepy? If it is, it might be eczema. I have eczema & whenever I'm under stress or my Monthly Visitor (CWE women will know which Monthly Visitor I'm referring to) comes to visit my hands itch like CRAZY!!! Anyway, check with your dermatologist. FYI: to figure out what type of rash you have, the derm doctor will most likely have to take a small skin sample. They'll numb the skin site & it'll be painless. It was for me & I have a very low pain tolerance. Good luck & keep me posted as to what happens. Take care, tayray!

Ann, I've always called that visitor Aunt Flo. :roflmao:

I've had a problem with Seborrheic Dermatitis too (I thought it was itchy, dry scalp or dandruff), on the scalp, forehead and occassionally on my eyebrows. I went to the Dr and he fixed me right up. He told me to use shampoo with salenium sulfide. Basically the main ingredient in Selsun Blue. I buy generic and save $$. It really works! I use it everytime I shampoo, even tho the label says to use just a few times a week, as per my Drs suggestion. I saw him about this because I was getting outter infections due to the itchy flakes getting inside and irritating my ears. Works like a charm and I haven't had any problems since. Make sure it has salenium sulfide. There's many different dandruf shampoos out there, with diff active ingredients. I was quite surprised. It really worked for me.

Good luck to you.

ETA- it can be used on any problem area while in the shower, just close your eyes (if on the face) and apply, leave on for a min or 2, then gently rinse off.

Good call CathyAnn! I found (by trial and error) that the shampoo that works best for my dandruff is L'Oreal Elvive Anti-Dandruff Active Selenium Shampoo (available at normal prices in the UK) - which contains selenium sulphide in bucket loads! Good to have an active ingredient confirmed by others!

Back
Top Bottom