seizure response dogs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a seizure dog? My doctor told me i should apply for one and im just curious about it. If you have one, tell me alittle bit about it..ya know..life with a seizure response dog. That would make a good documentary! lol

I don't have one, but I researched it a while back. Basically, a seizure response dog is a dog that is trained to help you if you have a seizure. For example, going and getting help or rolling you onto your side. They have to be obedience trained.

Actually, there's a couple of places online that offer them......and there's a company that will license a person's personal pet if they can show that it has the correct obedience training.

Hello-
I have a guide dog named Umbro from Guiding Eyes for the Blind in NY. He is also trained for seizure work as well by the instructors that trained him for guide dog work. A seizure responce dog can pull two-way radio wires to page someone, bark to get someone's attention within a specific distance of you, go and get someone within a certin distance of you, be with you calmly or keep you from going to far from one place. Dogs that sense seizures usually tell be the smell as in chemical change or your behavior change since a seizure usualy creats some sort of behavior change even in complex partials which I have. Umbro usually gets adgitated and tends to not obey guide dog commands as if he is worried or scared but not frantic. If I am walking he will actually stop and turn into me which is not normal in guiding. The guide dog is to your left and you use the harness of course on the left side- they walk one and a half feet infront of you giving you time to respond to down or up curbs or stairs etc.. Anyways the dogs that are trained in a service dog center have to be matched with the owner after the owner has had seizures while in training- they obviously can watch the dog and find out if the dog either response to you or sences the seizures before they happen. Then the trainer will train the dog to do a job of some sort like i listen above.. it takes a while and they are usualy expensive. But some schools provide assistance with that.
Umbro's training and raising cost $70,000 and of course GEB has foundations that help with the costs etc.

Back
Top Bottom