Seizures and...Solar and Geomagnetic Activity?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Interesting article (below)...

Humans really DO have a sixth sense... that lets us detect magnetic fields (and we're not aware we have it)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ets-detect-magnetic-fields.html#ixzz1QdYTRI1m

I don't doubt this type of thing for a second
I believe evolutionary processes are additive but that the brain isn't subtractive, i.e. that traits of "lower" species don't just disappear

for a simplistic example, primates eat mostly fruit... humans figured out how to cook a steak - but we can still open and eat a banana :banana:
...or, we evolved to be bipedal, but we can still become quadrupedal if we want to

but we can forget, or just simply not have time or need to utilize and keep "fresh" certain traits

I slept fairly good last night for the first time in a while. And as I mentioned before, I check Space Weather daily.

Last night there were no funky electron 'dips' on the Electron Flux graph for the first time in a while (scroll down)...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today2.html

And for 8 nights in a row we had 'electron fluxes' on the Space Weather Archives page...none last night though (July 1, 2011). We had a K4 geomagnetic storm yesterday, too...

Click on Currently in Effect:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive.html#2006

June 16, 2011 to June 30, 2011:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive/archive_16Jun2011.html

Wonder why I have so much trouble with electrons? Yet I seem to improve some after geomagnetic storms?

Last edited:
Last night was another horrific night for me (July 2, 2011), but the night before (July 1, 2011), I slept fairly good.

Check the Satellite Environment Plot 'Electron Flux' graph below. Notice the electron flux dips last night again? Keep in mind that there is a time difference. I believe it is in 'universal time'. So the electron flux 'dips' appear to have happened on July 3rd, when in fact they happened the night of July 2nd, early morning hours of July 3rd.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today2.html

Last edited:
This is going to sound crazy, but I'm hoping those having seizures will consider the possibility and give it some serious thought, especially those who keep 'seizure diaries'. Those of you who keep seizure diaries can actually go back in your records to see if certain solar and/or geomagnetic events may have served as 'seizure triggers'. (A couple of the websites I'm about to post allow you to search backwards in time.)

Hi -- Thanks for your posting & thanks for this message board. I found the board as a result of googling for "CME" and "epilepsy" because my dog has seizures.

His most recent seizure event was June 9, 2011, just one that morning; we'd had an M-class (medium) CME on June 7. It takes about 76 hours for the earth to feel the effects of the solar events, from what I've heard.

On February 15th the sun had an X-class CME, the "x-tra large" size, and on February 17th my dog started having seizures that went on for 3 days -- he'd have maybe 3 or 4 or 5 in one episode, then pause for a little while, an hour or two or three, then have another episode. There were about 20 episodes over the course of three days. I was exhausted, and so was he, by the time we were all through with that; and it took us both a good two weeks to recover.

Previous to that he had seizures over a 2-day time period in late October. I haven't looked it up to see if that correlates to any solar activity or not.

I give him two phenobarbital tablets a day; starting right after the February incident I started home-cooking all his meals, and only give him treats with no chemicals (BHT / BHA) and have added vitamins and minerals to his diet with a supplement called NuPro. When the seizures come, there's an herbal supplement I've bought called Calm & Relax; I used that in June, right after the seizure, and he had no more seizures that day.

Prior to February, I was noticing that he would have seizures whenever I would "tune in" to someone doing channeling. There was one day even when I started listening to music by Hildegard von Bingen, an 11th century nun who was quite the Renaissance woman of her time and an abbess, and within a few minutes he was seizing. Quite strange. It was *only* when I was "tuning in" like "to the spirit world" that that he'd start seizures...that started in November, '08; and now, I can listen to all the channeling in the world and it doesn't bother him.

I read online last night that there's another CME headed our way today, so I started wondering what might be up for us today. So far he's fine.

Thanks for the links; I'll keep track of those sites.

I have been checking several Space Weather sites daily for several years now and have definitely noticed that certain solar and geomagnetic 'events' or activity (or even lack of activity) can either improve or worsen my symptoms (which I now realize are seizure-related). This isn't a fluke either.

Hi Elizzza,

I found your thread today while browsing for data on SA & GMA. I got really excited when I began to read through it. Your posts are amazing. Fantastic advise. I was pretty amazed with IndianaSmith's post as well.

I'm glad that your thread is still active, and I hope it will remain that way. Like you, I believe the data is pertinent and relevant. I admire your courage for posting on this topic. Even though many of these studies have been around for a few decades, and continue to be published, most doctors and practitioners are not aware of these significant correlations. Like you, I 'know' when there's an arrival of a CME, or other related space weather disturbances. I may not always have a seizure, but I still feel the effects of the atmospheric disturbances. I try to make the necessary preparations, both mentally and physically, before it's arrival, which I've found to be quite beneficial.

Like you, I've spent the last several years studying this research extensively. I published my website in '07, and have posted a good bit of information regarding environmental effects on humans, although the website is not specifically about space weather and the GMA. Recently I started making very simple educational videos on youtube in hopes of spreading more awareness about this. I'm actively involved in my local community as well. I feel passionate about this subject, and I think there is significant, empirical data that leaves little question about the effects this phenomenon has on humans and animals.

Technology isn't the only thing that can be profoundly affected by solar and geophysical activity, for sure. One does not have to have a seizure disorder to be affected by this activity. There are literally hundreds of studies that not only document an increase in seizure activity, but also an increase in monthly death numbers, psychiatric admissions, heart attacks, strokes, dizziness, hallucinations, sleep paralysis, aggression, depression, suicides, traffic accidents, insomnia, premature births, etc. You can find many on pubmed.gov using specific search words. I've posted several of those studies on my website as well as in the featured video.

Note: I was unable to post the URL due to being a newbie. To see the studies, please go to CoreRejuvenation.com. In the navigation panel to the left, click on 'Humans Affected by Space'. Maybe someone here can post the link.

Everyone should be aware of this information, but especially those with epilepsy. As the Dana Foundation states on their website, at present, most people with epilepsy, or members of their family, have to become their own advocates.

Thank you for reading my ramblings, and for starting this thread. It was certainly an unexpected, yet pleasant surprise. =)

~V

Thank you both for your replies!...I will reply more later when I get a chance, as I don't have time right now.

I did want to post this update though regarding electron fluxes and my sleep patterns...whether I toss and turn or sleep fairly soundly:

I've noticed that 'electron fluxes' affect the quality of my sleep IF they come EARLY in the early morning hours - I toss and turn and sweat a lot, and this relentless jaw clenching increases substantially. In fact, I can remember staring at the insides of my eyelids all night when this happens. IF they come LATER in the early morning hours, however, I sleep fairly well.

For example, I slept good last night (the night of July 15th, 2011 into the morning hours of the 16th) and also the night of July 13th (into the morning hours of the 14th). This site utilizes 'universal time' (so keep that in mind), and I live on the east coast, but the electron fluxes that are recorded on the 14th and 16th came 'later' in the morning hours.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html

Thank you both for your replies!...I will reply more later when I get a chance, as I don't have time right now.

My pleasure, and thank you for the 'thank you' vote regarding my post. =D I plan to return the gesture. I have really enjoyed our PM dialog, and look forward to participating more on CWE. I've been a lurker/member here for a couple of years, but forgot my password, and the email account I registered under is no longer active, so I rejoined after running into your thread. I've had a couple of dialogs via email, with Bernard, a while back, but he may not remember. Anyways, seeing your thread was the highlight of my week, as was evident from my first post, lol. ;D Btw, I apologize in advance for length of these posts at present. Because I'm not able, just yet, to post links (understandable), I've collected some studies from a few of my files. They will follow after this post.

Elizzza, I'm not sharing anything you aren't already aware of, with regard to NOAA, and SWPC, but I thought I'd mention this for the sake of other readers who may not be aware. The U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA,, Space Weather Prediction Center, and the U.S. Air Force, jointly prepare and report solar and geophysical activity, daily. Activity is monitored 24/7, and alerts and advisory bulletins are sent out when deemed necessary. There has been little focus or public awareness on the significant correlations, and potential negative impact these disturbances can have on humans. I hope to see that change. As more empirical date comes in, it is my hope that there will be space weather alerts for humans, just like we have with weather and ozone alerts.

As was mentioned in the previous post, an increasing amount of evidence links biological effects to solar and geomagnetic disturbances. The brain contains magnetite and has about five million magnetite crystals per gram, averaging to around 1400 grams. Magnetite is a black mineral form of iron oxide and it is one of the major ores of iron that is strongly magnetic. The brain uses magnetic signals. The earth produces geomagnetic signals. The parts of the brain that are the most sensitive to geomagnetic signals are the parts with the lowest electrical thresholds, i.e., the temporal lobes.

There exists no definite boarder between the electromagnetic fields maintained by the body's metabolism and those that exist in the environment. Cells are electrical systems sensitive to their electromagnetic milieus, cell membranes are capacitors. Cell tissue are transversed by alternating and direct currents. Our brains and cells use oscillating ion currents for the control and release of neurotransmitters and in the cell to cell communication systems,(EEG). They use frequency encoders and decoders and phase-locked loop circuits to tune into external signals of a slightly different frequency. Biological Systems detect and respond to external ULF/ELF signals or other frequencies using their built-in receiving and decoding systems (cell-to-cell communication).

ELF signals induce alterations in the calcium ion signals that in turn send signals to the pineal that alters the melatonin/serotonin balance. This is transferred to the body organs through the CNS (central nervous system) and hormone/enzyme/ion cellular signaling system. In addition, the ELF signal systems in cells, also involve calcium ions, can be directly interfered with by external ELF signals of extremely low intensity through non-equilibrium resonant absorption processes at the cell membrane. This is a resonant phenomenon that only operates in the normal mammal temperature range. It is dependent on the earth's geomagnetic field strength and orientation and therefore varies from place to place and time to time.

There are well established and observationally confirmed mechanisms for external ELF signals to be resonantly absorbed in human tissue, especially the brain and heart, and cause reduced melatonin.

Data from the 19th century on hallucinations and magnetic disturbances were found to exhibit a direct and statistically significant correlation. The aa magnetic index over the period 1868-89 and concurrent visual hallucinatory activity were found to co-vary. Magnetic influences on the pineal hormone, melatonin, are suggested as a source of variation. Delta sleep-deprivation:

Prolonged sleep deprivation (+48 hours) results in severe mental disturbance, attention deficit, withdrawing, visual complaints, hallucinations and time distortion. After 5 days you may even end up in a mental institution. Robert Whitaker, author of Mad in America interviewed recovered schizophrenics and he said that absolutely every single case admits to a period of sleeplessness prior to a psychic break. This is a clear indication of melatonin deficiency due to GMA/electromagnetic influences.

Sources:

Cross Currents and The Body Electric, Robert O. Becker, M. D.
esdjournal.com/techpapr/elfhealth.pdf Dr. Neil Cherry
shaktitechnology.com/earthfee.htm
Bureau d'Études 2006
PubMed: 2012623

"Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident" - Schopenhauer

I've noticed that 'electron fluxes' affect the quality of my sleep.

You are certainly not alone. Elizzza, I correspond with people world wide, and they give me the same feedback once they become aware of space weather. Sleep disturbances are ofter their main complaints. Everybody's brain signature is different of course, and some may not be affected. That's why a process of elimination is beneficial. People with seizure disorders have a lower sensitivity threshold. Those who don't have a lower threshold can still be affected, but often happens without their awareness.

Sunspots are huge solar eruptions. Ultra-violet radiation, electromagnetic waves, and electrically charged particles are ejected out into the solar system, and if it is geoeffective (earth directed), can reach the earth within a day or two. When the earth is targeted, (especially worse on a global scale), it causes a disturbance in the geomagnetic fields in the form of magnetic storms, aura borealis, fluctuations in atmospheric pressure and electricity. It also increases the number of thunderstorms, cyclones, earthquakes & volcanoes.

According to SWPC & NOAA, Geomagnetic storms are a natural hazard, like hurricanes and tsunamis, which the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration & Space Weather Prediction Center forecasts for the public's benefit. Severe geomagnetic storms cause communications problems, abruptly increase drag on spacecraft, and can cause electric utility blackouts over a wide area.

"Hard” X-rays highly energetic ones with very short wavelengths, cause enhanced electrical conductivity in the upper atmosphere and related changes in the Earth’s magnetic field. Reports received at NOAA’s Boulder laboratories indicated that, at certain times during the storms, large percentages of homing pigeons failed to return home; those that did make it back were often frightened and disoriented.

Some studies:

Admissions of patients with epileptic seizures (E) and dizziness (D) related to geomagnetic and solar activity levels: differences in female and male patients.

Admissions of 762 patients for epileptic seizures and 1553 for dizziness were studied for the connection with the level of monthly and yearly solar activity in the 11-year solar cycle and with four levels of daily geomagnetic activity levels (400 epileptic patients and 802 patients suffering with dizziness). The most significant differences of the studied groups were in the male/female ratio in different conditions of solar and geomagnetic activity. Changes in the group of epileptic patients were accompanied by similar, but adverse changes in the group suffering from dizziness. Different conditions of responses of females and males to environmental changes can explain the demonstrated results.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sudden cardiac death and geomagnetic activity: links to age, gender and agony time.

The daily number of SCD was significantly different for most of the compared groups at lowest and higher GMA levels. For all SCD, both at age <65 and at >65, the frequency was significantly higher on days of IIo-IVo GMA than on days of Io GMA (p=0.00067-0.03). A strong trend for more SCD on days of Io GMA was seen in males aged <65 who died within 1 h (p=0.06); females aged <65 who died within >1 h to 24 h (p=0.06), and females >65 who died within 1 h (p=0.0267). Females below the age of 65 who died in less than 1 h showed a trend toward higher SCD frequency at IIo-IVo GMA that did not achieve significance (p=0.057).

CONCLUSIONS:

The distribution of SCD, with short (< or =1h) and longer (1-24 h) time of death, on days of lowest (Io) GMA differs from that on days of unsettled, active, or stormy (IIo-IVo) GMA. Despite the general trend to higher SCD frequency at IIo-IVo GMA, certain rapidly dying groups (< 65 y males, > 65 y females) showed a strong trend toward higher numbers of SCD at the lowest GMA.

PMID:

Elevations of complex partial epileptic-like experiences during increased geomagnetic activity for women reporting "premenstrual syndrome".
Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.

Responses to the frequency of complex partial epileptic-like experiences were recorded every second day by 12 women for at least two months per individual. Five (41%) of the women displayed significant increases (effect sizes between 6% and 17%) in the numbers of these experiences when the daily geomagnetic activity exceeded 40 nT. The results were consistent with the hypothesis that a spectrum of experiences and behaviors, associated with limbic lability, can be enhanced by environmental stimuli correlated with perturbations of the geomagnetic field.

PMID:

Geomagnetic activity and enhanced mortality in rats with acute (epileptic) limbic lability.

Presumably unrelated behaviors (e.g. psychiatric admissions, seizures, heart failures) have been correlated with increased global geomagnetic activity. We have suggested that all of these behaviors share a common source of variance. They are evoked by transient, dopamine-mediated paroxysmal electrical patterns that are generated within the amygdala and the hippocampus of the temporal lobes. Both the probability and the propagation of these discharges to distal brain regions are facilitated when nocturnal melatonin levels are suppressed by increased geomagnetic activity. In support of this hypothesis, the present study demonstrated a significant correlation of Pearson r = 0.60 between mortality during the critical 4-day period that followed induction of limbic seizures in rats and the ambient geomagnetic activity during the 3 to 4 days that preceded death; the risk increased when the 24 h geomagnetic indices exceeded 20 nT for more than 1 to 2 days.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLIN

Convulsive threshold in humans and rats and magnetic field changes: observations during total solar eclipse.

Convulsive thresholds were measured in 26 psychiatric patients who were receiving electroconvulsive treatment, and in 8 rats subjects to electroconvulsive shocks, during the recent the recent total solar eclipse day (February 16th, 1980) and on control days. Our results showed that there was a significant reduction in the convulsive thresholds of both humans and rats at the time of solar eclipse, probably occurring due to the observed geomagnetic field variation of 19 Gammas.
PMID:

Correlation between convulsive seizure and geomagnetic activity.

The annual percentage of patients with convulsive seizure in the Neurological Department of the Bangur Institute of Neurology, Calcutta, is found to be significantly correlated with the annual values of sunspot numbers and geomagnetic activity indices for the period 1955--1971. For a particular geomagnetic activity index the correlation coefficient is significant at a 99% confidence level. The study shows that a proper choice of elements in the series is important in studies undertaken to establish the biological effects of solar activity.

PMID:

Sources:
swpc.noaa.gov/ace/
vaildaily.com/article/20070714/LETTER/70713019
pubmed.gov

Cont:

SEIZURES, HEART FAILURE, PSYCHIATRIC ADMISSIONS:
Presumably unrelated behaviors (e.g. psychiatric admissions, seizures, heart failures) have been correlated with increased global geomagnetic activity. We have suggested that all of these behaviors share a common source of variance. They are evoked by transient, dopamine-mediated paroxysmal electrical patterns that are generated within the amygdala and the hippocampus of the temporal lobes. Both the probability and the propagation of these discharges to distal brain regions are facilitated when nocturnal melatonin levels are suppressed by increased geomagnetic activity.

DEATHS, SUICIDES, TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS:
Cosmic rays activity revealed significant negative correlation with solar/geomagnetic activity indices and related physical phenomena levels. This activity strongly correlated with flux of protons with the energies >90 MeV proton flux and did not exhibit significant correlation with 60 MeV proton fluxes. Cosmic rays intensity strongly correlated with monthly numbers of deaths was strong for non-cardiovascular deaths, suicides, and traffic accidents.

CARDIOVASCULAR, CELLULAR DAMAGE:
During the past decades, many studies were published considering cosmo-terrestrial influences on different sites of human homeostasis.

Conclusion: Cosmic Ray Activity is predominant in plaque disruption, cellular damage and electrical instability; the GMA (Geomagnetic Activity) in the activation of coagulation and inflammation.

"Ambient electromagnetic field activity impact behavior in a clinically meaningful manner. The studies furthermore raises issues regarding other sources of stray electromagnetic fields and their effect on mental health."

Sources:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12653184
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17998801
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1428225
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1809861
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17715570
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7601551

There's much more, and I'll post as time permits. It's time consuming to go through my files, as I have collected quite a bit of research over the years. I'll share more data via links when I've build up my post count.

Thanks for taking the time to read. =)

~V

I lost a very long post last night, but I did want to reply some this morning. I think we must have been sisters in a previous life though because you think like me. I am extremely interested in the subject of solar/geomagnetic activity and the subject of human-generated EMFs/microwaves and their affects on humans, both on behavior and health.

I lost two cats (about a year apart) several years back, both to sudden heart attacks. They were doing just fine, and then one day I heard a piercing wail (more like a howl), one I'd never heard before in my life, let alone coming from a cat. I ran into the room each time and found each one lying on the floor in obvious distress. The female died in 2006 (I believe), and the male died in 2007. His cremation certificate reads November 21, 2007. Now I'm not sure if this would indicate the day of death or the day of cremation (anybody know?), but look at Space Weather around that time...there was a sudden impulse on the 19th, so I have to wonder if he died on the 19th at the moment of this 'sudden impulse'? Or perhaps during one of the K-storms? And 2006 (when my female died) was a pretty active year, too. But look at November 21, 2007, when the male cat died...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive/archive_16Nov2007.html

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=21&month=11&year=2007

A solar wind stream hit Earth on Nov. 20th sparking auroras over Scandinavia and Iceland. The display has subsided, but perhaps only temporarily. Solar wind is still buffeting Earth's magnetic field and more geomagnetic storms are possible. People at high latitudes should remain alert for auroras.

I also had a cat (the female above who died in 2006 of a heart attack) who could 'sense' thunderstorms hours in advance. I always knew if a storm was coming because she'd hide behind the toilet like clockwork. The sun could be shining outside, and she still somehow 'knew'. I think I even have a book here about dogs that can detect earthquakes.

I lost another cat last year on August 22, 2010 to kidney failure. He was in kidney failure by the age of 3 (which I found odd), pulled through two near fatal bouts (the vet had told me both times he would die within 3 months), but the third 'bout' killed him. He actually seized while he was dying, bared his teeth at the ceiling, and he was the most gentle cat you could ever know. He went downhill rapidly about a week or so before he died, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink.

Here is what was going on from August 1st to August 15th, 2010, when he first began to spiral downhill (a lot, as you can see, including radio and proton events)...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive/archive_01Aug2010.html

And the week he died (August 16th to August 31st, 2010)...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive/archive_16Aug2010.html

The day before he died...

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=21&month=08&year=2010

A coronal hole on the sun is turning to face Earth. Coronal holes are places in the sun's atmosphere where the magnetic field opens up and allows solar wind to escape. A stream of solar wind flowing from this coronal hole is expected to reach Earth on August 24th or 25th.
Also, the day he died...

The day he died it reiterates...

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=22&month=08&year=2010

A solar wind stream is heading for Earth and it could spark a new round of geomagnetic activity when it arrives on August 25th. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras.

I'm especially concerned though because in recent years, my cats seem to have been getting sick and dying much younger...some by the age of 2, others by the age of maybe 7? Could it be human-generated EMFs? Solar activity? My first two cats lived to be at least 10 or 11.

Last edited:
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences Barwon Health,
University of Melbourne, Geelong, Australia

Do Ambient Electromagnetic Fields Affect Behavior? A Demonstration of theRelationship Between Geomagnetic Storm Activity and Suicide

The relationship between ambient electromagnetic fields and human mood and behavior is of great public health interest. Both Males and females were included. A geomagnetic storm event was defined as a day in which the Ap index was equal to or exceeded 100 nT. Suicide data was a national tally of daily male and female death figures where suicide had been documented as the cause of death. A total of 51 845 males and 16 327 females were included.

The average number of suicides was greatest in spring for males and females, and lowest in autumn for males and summer for females. Suicide amongst females increased significantly in autumn during concurrent periods of geomagnetic storm activity (P¼.01). This pattern was not observed in males (P¼.16).

This suggests that perturbations in ambient electromagnetic field activity impact behaviour in a clinically meaningful manner. The study furthermore raises issues regarding other sources of stray electromagnetic fields and their effect on mental health. Bioelectromagnetics 27, 2006.

Source: avaate.org/IMG/pdf/suicide_geomagnetic_pdf_early_view.pdf

------------------------------------

I posted a little on this already...but the above source contains the full study. The reason I posted this particular study is to show that people are affected differently, and at different times...gender included. I think it helps to explain why this disorder can sometimes be so difficult to diagnose. Someone goes to the clinic to have an EEG, sometimes multiple times, and nothing shows up. They go home, and soon have a seizure. It's more than likely triggered by environmental conditions, imo.

I was sorry to read about your kitties. =/ Elizzza, I believe there is a combination of causes, but certainly the GMA should not be excluded as a possible contributor to the sudden death. If the GMA can wreak havoc on technology and fry power grids, etc., then certainly the combination would/could affect electrical activity in the brain and heart, as well as power surges inside your home too? Yes. That's what surge protectors are for...to protect sensitive electrical equipment. We need surge protectors for our brains, especially in this day and time.

Chemical reactions were thought to be the primary mechanism for cellular communication. Recent studies show that an electromagnetic (EM) frequency is transmitted just prior to the chemical interaction. Have you had your house tested for leaky EMF's? It's much more common than people may realize, especially if you live in older homes. I'm just curious, because it does seem odd that your kitties died so young. Also, some pet foods contain high concentrations of afflatoxins, which can lead to heart and kidney damage. Corn that is rejected for human consumption is sent to pet food companies.

I've had cats die young in both this home (a mobile home), and in my last home (a regular home). I wasn't really aware of the EMF problem back when I was living there though. I did return to the neighborhood shortly after I'd moved here out of curiosity (after I had become aware of environmental EMFs and the health issues they can cause), and noticed that there was a cell phone antenna on top of a water tower overlooking my home, probably less than a half block up the street from my home. My sister has two cell phone towers pretty much in her backyard. She's on thyroid meds now. Also, two of her cats died young (and suddenly), one after the other...something neurological in nature. Apparently they could not use their hind legs to walk...they had to drag their hind legs behind them, both of them. The vet was puzzled and never figured it out.

I do have an instrument that measures EMFs, and my home measures 3 or 4 milligauss or higher everywhere in my home, 24/7. My neighbor's is worse yet...10 milligauss or higher. Her mobile home is one house closer to the main road though...right on the main road, because she lives on the corner - so that might explain it.

I have an instrument that measures microwaves, too, and if I remember correctly, that device just gives off a sound when it detects microwaves. I used that to test my microwave oven in my kitchen and discovered that when I'm using it, I'm being nuked unless I stand probably 10 feet away from it in my living room. Obviously, it leaks (it's brand new, too), but it's a wall model, and maybe whoever installed it messed it up. I no longer use it.

I do agree that suicide and seizures could be related to solar activity. I know I definitely get worse in the spring...that's always a difficult time for me. And late last summer/early fall, my seizures began to increase exponentially. And auroras are more common in the fall in the north.

This is interesting...I was going through some old medical records today, and I found the medical log/report from when they had me wear a heart monitor back in 2006 for an extended period of time due to palpitations and dizzy spells. This was one of those tests in which you press the button whenever you're feeling weird, kind of like an ambulatory EEG, but it measures heart rate instead of brain waves. At the time I was unaware of the fact that these dizzy spells were seizure-related.

On 6/27/2006, it reads "dizziness, funny taste in mouth" - I always have this symptom with my seizures - and Space Weather for that day...

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?month=06&day=27&year=2006&view=view

...This enormous punctuation mark (actually a magnetic filament) stretches 150,000 miles from end-to-end.
...A solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole should reach Earth on June 28th.

A storm is about to hit:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive/archive_16Jun2006.html

On 6/28/2006, it reads "dizziness, pain on the left side of my head, palpitation" - and Space Weather for that day...

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?month=06&day=28&year=2006&view=view

...Earth is inside a solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole.
..."Two stunningly beautiful sunspots have exploded into view," says amateur astronomer Greg Piepol who photographed the active regions earlier today. Sunspot 897, in particular, is growing with wild abandon, changing visibly as onlookers watch. Unstable magnetic fields could snap, resulting in solar flares, although so far no explosions have been observed.

K-4 and K-5 geomagnetic storm:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive/archive_16Jun2006.html

I should also add that their diagnosis on the report reads "benign fast heart rate"...they put me on Metoprolol. Is it common for heart rate to increase during seizures?

Last edited:
That is interesting, Elizzza. Correlation doesn't equate to causation, certainly, but becoming aware of these correlations actually contributed to a much better quality of life for me. I have created, to the best of my ability, a Faraday environment in my bedroom. I have nothing plugged in the wall sockets while I'm sleeping. I don't sleep with my head close to any metal, i.e., metal headboard. I don't have any metal in my room. Studies have been done in 'haunted' castles in England, and they have shown that when the GMA begins to flux during the middle of the night, and when all the environmental conditions are right, the frequencies created by the GMA can change, become distorted, when the flux encounters objects, i.e., metal, in the environment. Infrasound frequencies were registered during these studies (very low frequencies 19hz and below) that can and often does affect brainwave activity. A frequency following response can take place 'brainwave entrainment'. The GMA, when quite active, can also cause power surges in homes. I don't sleep on metal springs within a mattress or box spring. I turn off the light switch on the wall that connect the lights plugged into specific sockets. I especially don't sleep next to an electric radio alarm clock. They emit a magnetic field ( example: youtu.be/wZbcivuUklc ) and this field has been strongly correlated to sleep disturbances as well as night terrors, especially in children. Those with limbic libility (lower electrical threshold), tend to be the most affected, according to the studies.

Regarding your question about seizure activity and increase heart rate; on a personal note, I do experience heart arrhythmia, heart palpitations, and sometimes an extremely low heart rate. During this time, I can also experience GI problems, including spasms in my abdominal area as well as my legs and face. I get buzzing in my ears, and tingling sensations can run up and down my body. I can get negative memory flashes. Those are symptoms (microseizures) for me, warning signs I take seriously.

Here's a question asked on epilepsy.com, also regarding your question:

Q. Anyone know if a seizure can cause your heart to have an irregular rhythm?

A. Yes a seizure can cause your heart to beat either faster or slower than normal. Many people don't realize the change because they lose awareness as to what is going so quickly that they don't feel their heart racing.
I have temporal lobe epilepsy and don't lose awareness quickly. My heart races so fast and I feel like I can't breath and then all the sudden a few minutes past that I can't remember. I thought for many years that the rapid heart beats caused my seizures because I was so "with it" but I had a video EEG and I actually went into the seizure a few seconds before my heartbeat changed.

----> My doctor told me that it is more common for people to have changes in their heart who have complex partial seizures. I hope this helps.

epilepsy.com/node/966959

Not too long ago, it was discovered that the heart has its own independent nervous system. It's also been discovered that the hearts neurons are identical to neurons in the brain. They operate with the same type of axonal and dendritic conections, and they use the same neurotransmitters. There also seems to be at least as many neurons in the heart as are found in various subcortical sections of the brain.

From Scientific America:

The enteric nervous system uses more than 30 neurotransmitters, just like the brain, and in fact 95 percent of the body's serotonin is found in the bowels. Because antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) increase serotonin levels, it's little wonder that meds meant to cause chemical changes in the mind often provoke GI issues as a side effect. Irritable bowel syndrome—which afflicts more than two million Americans—also arises in part from too much serotonin in our entrails, and could perhaps be regarded as a "mental illness" of the second brain.
scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=gut-second-brain

More related studies to follow. Thanks for reading. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppressed circadian heart rate dynamics in temporal lobe epilepsy.

Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
To measure interictal circadian rhythm of heart rate (HR) variability in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) using a 24 hour ECG recording.

METHODS:
Various conventional and dynamic fractal measures of HR variability were analysed in 17 patients with refractory TLE, 20 patients with well controlled TLE, and 37 healthy age and sex matched control subjects.

RESULTS:

The SD of all RR intervals (p < 0.01), the measured power spectral components of HR variability (low frequency power (p < 0.01), high frequency power (p < 0.05)), and the SD1 (p < 0.05) and SD2 (p < 0.01) Poincaré two dimensional vector analysis measurements were suppressed in the patients. This suppression was observed during both day and night time; however, it was more pronounced at night, and nocturnal increase in HR variability usually seen in the normal population could not be detected in the patients. The HR variability measures did not correlate with the duration of epilepsy, the age of the patients, or with the anti-epileptic drugs used.

CONCLUSION:
TLE was associated with reduced HR variability, which was more pronounced during night than day, and the nocturnal increase in HR variability was abolished in patients with TLE. The alteration in autonomic regulation of HR variability was similar in patients with both refractory and well controlled TLE.

Source: J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005 Oct;76(10):1382-6.
Department of Neurology, P.O.Box 5000, FIN-90014 University of Oulu, Finland

----------------------------------------

Heart rate dynamics in refractory and well controlled temporal lobe epilepsy.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:

Disorders of cardiovascular and other autonomic nervous system functions are often found in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE). Cardiovascular dysregulation in TLE has previously been quantified assessing traditional time and frequency domain measures of heart rate (HR) variability from short term ECG recordings. However, new complexity and fractal measures of HR variability based on non-linear dynamics and fractals ("chaos theory") may disclose certain patterns of HR dynamics that cannot be detected using only conventional measures.
METHODS:

In addition to the traditional spectral and non-spectral components of HR variability, fractal correlation properties, approximate entropy (ApEn) of RR interval dynamics, and the slope of the power law relation were measured from 24 hour ambulatory ECG recordings to evaluate interictal autonomic cardiovascular regulatory function in 19 patients with refractory TLE, 25 patients with well controlled TLE, and in 34 healthy age and sex matched control subjects.
RESULTS:

The traditional time and frequency domain measures were lower in patients with TLE than in controls (p<0.05). In addition, the power law slope (p<0.005) and ApEn (p<0.05) were also reduced in TLE patients. Furthermore, ApEn was smaller in patients with refractory TLE than in patients with well-controlled TLE ( p<0.01), whereas the long term fractal correlation value alpha2 was lower in patients with well controlled TLE (p<0.05). An altered HR variation was not associated with any particular AED regimen.

CONCLUSIONS:
In addition to reduced overall HR variability, the long term fractal organization and complexity of HR dynamics seem to be altered in TLE. These abnormalities in HR behaviour may partly contribute to the occurrence of adverse cardiovascular events, such as life threatening arrhythmias in patients with TLE.

PMID:

PMCID: PMC1737701

Sudden unexpected deaths in epileptics--a literature review

Abstract

In summary, SUDEP accounts for death in approximately 8% of the young epileptic population. It is commoner in young male epileptics with a long history of generalised seizures, who have a history of head trauma and alcohol excess, and who are taking more than one antiepileptic drug. Most deaths are unwitnessed and occur at home, usually in bed and presumably overnight. Subtherapeutic AED levels do not necessarily imply non compliance, and may simply reflect drug degradation in the plasma after death. Many victims have pulmonary oedema on postmortem examination, and some show ischaemic damage of the heart despite normal coronary arteries. This possibly arises as a result of repeated episodes of vasoconstriction from seizure related catecholamine bursts. Animal studies have demonstrated the occurrence of central apnoea and also support the theory of acute fatal cardiac failure. Possible association with the daily level of geomagnetic activity is reported. The precise reason for a particular seizure being fatal in an otherwise healthy individual is as yet undetermined.

PMID:

----------------------------------------

Experimental simulation of the effects of increased geomagnetic activity upon nocturnal seizures in epileptic rats
Behavioral Neuroscience Laboratory, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, P3E 2C6, Canada
Abstract

This experiment was designed to simulate experimentally the specific parameters of geomagnetic activity that evoke epileptic seizures. The numbers of overt limbic seizures (rearing, paroxysmal forelimb clonus and falling) in a population of epileptic rats were recorded nightly for 65 successive days between 0200 and 0400 h during red light conditions. On some nights an experimental 7 Hz magnetic field whose magnitudes shifted in successive steps from zero to approximately 50 nT every 3 min was presented. The partial regression coefficients from the analysis indicated that either the presence of the ‘synthetic' geomagnetic activity or increased magnitudes of the daily, natural geomagnetic activity (regional range approximately 10–70 nT) during the observational period significantly (P<0.05) increased the proportion of nightly seizures. The effect sizes (6–8%) for both magnetic sources were comparable and additive. Concerted efforts to experimentally simulate the temporal profiles of geomagnetic activity may help reveal the neuromechanisms by which biobehavioral changes during geomagnetic perturbations occur within susceptible populations.

Source: Behavioral Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, P3E 2C6, Canada
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394097134462

Last edited:
Vestibular experiences of humans during brief periods of partial sensory deprivation are enhanced when daily geomagnetic activity exceeds 15–20 nT

Abstract

The intensity of reported vestibular experiences by normal volunteers (n = 127, over a 4-year period) increased significantly in a step-like manner during partial sensory deprivation when the daily geomagnetic activity exceeded about 15 nT; the effect size was equivalent to a correlation of about 0.33. Post hoc analyses indicated that the geomagnetic activity during the 3-h period at the beginning of the previous sleep cycle was the single greatest contributor. The enhanced occurrences of experiences that are similar to those associated with complex partial epileptic seizures suggests that specific stimuli associated with geomagnetic activity above about 15 nT affects specific regions of the human brain; the vulnerability occurs during the subsequent 24 h. However, in non-epileptic individuals these experiences must be amplified neurocognitively by removing input from auditory and visual modalities.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16170081

----------------------------------

Quantitative increases in temporal lobe symptoms in human males are proportional to postnatal geomagnetic activity

Abstract

Enhanced geomagnetic activity during episodes of biochemical stress has been correlated with inferences of increased lability within deep temporal lobe structures. Because adult limbic epilepsy is frequently associated with perinatal hypoxia or metabolic disruption within this region, a weak positive correlation was expected between possible signs of mesiobasal temporal lobe lability in normal adults and perinatal geomagnetic activity. Canonical correlation demonstrated that young adult males (n = 243) displayed a positive (r = 0.31) relationship between the intensity of geomagnetic disturbance the day after birth only and a history of subjective depersonalization, anomalous visual and olfactory experiences. The effect was very clear when aa values exceeded 30 nT (gamma). Temporal lobe signs for these males were similar to those reported by normal young adult females (n = 313) who did not display any consistent correlation between these measures and perinatal geomagnetic disturbance. The results suggest that interactions between perinatal neurochemistry and the correlates of geomagnetic activity might permanently alter portions of the male limbic system.

Source: Behavioral Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ont.Canada
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/030439409190029S

Geomagnetic disturbances are associated with reduced nocturnal excretion of a melatonin metabolite in humans

Abstract

The effects of geomagnetic disturbances on urinary excretion of the melatonin metabolite, 6-hydroxymelatonin sulfate (6-OHMS), were studied in conjunction with 60 Hz magnetic field (MF) and ambient light exposure in 132 electric utility workers. Geomagnetic activity was assessed using a local (equivalent amplitude or AK, Boulder, CO) and global (average antipodal or aa) index. Personal exposures to 60 Hz MFs and light were obtained using data-logging meters. The relationship between geomagnetic activity and 6-OHMS was assessed with adjustment for age, light exposure, and month of participation. Mean overnight 6-OHMS excretion was lower on days when the 36-h AK or aa values exceeded 30 nT. A greater reduction in 6-OHMS excretion was observed when increased geomagnetic activity was combined with elevated 60 Hz MF or reduced ambient light exposures.

Source:sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394099003080

----------------------------------

Effects of geomagnetic activity variations on the physiological and psychological state of functionally healthy humans

Abstract

There are collaborative and cross-disciplinary space weather studies in the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences conducted with purposes of revealing possible effects of solar, geomagnetic and cosmic ray variability on certain technological, biological and ecological systems. This paper describes some results of the experimental studies of influence of the periodical and aperiodical changes of geomagnetic activity upon human brain, human health and psycho-emotional state. It also covers the conclusions of studies on influence of violent solar events and severe geomagnetic storms of the solar cycle 23 on the mentioned systems in middle-latitude location. It is experimentally established that weak and moderate geomagnetic storms do not cause significant changes in the brain’s bioelectrical activity and exert only stimulating influence while severe disturbances of geomagnetic conditions cause negative influence, seriously disintegrate brain’s functionality, activate braking processes and amplify the negative emotional background of an individual.

Institute of Physiology named after academician A.I.Garayev, Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, 2, Sharif-zadeh Street, Baku AZ-1100, The Republic of Azerbaijan - September 2007.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273117707009404

Back
Top Bottom