Seizures are nocturnal but had one in the day

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

masterjen

New
Reaction score
My seizures have only been at night, until yesterday when for the first time I had one in the day. It's possible it was heat-related since it had been very hot for the past few days leading up to and including yesterday. With this in mind, should I be phoning my doctor's nurse, or just note it in my diary along with the possible cause/trigger and move on?

Have you changed your sleeping schedule? From Wikipedia it says that if you change, there is a possibility that you can end up with a seizure even if you're awake.

wiki / Nocturnal_epilepsy

"Epilepsy can be nocturnal if the form of epilepsy one has only triggers seizures while one is asleep, or if one normally has seizures that occur at the same time. In the latter example, if one stays awake at a time when s/he is usually asleep, s/he can have the seizure while awake. Noting this, it is important for s/he to maintain a proper sleeping cycle or structure. Diverting away from proper sleep can trigger more frequent epileptic symptoms in people who are diagnosed with nocturnal epilepsy and as mentioned before, even while they are awake.[2]"

You should force yourself to stick to a regular schudule, and try to get at least a minimum of 7hr sleep if possible. Usually if you don't get a full sleep that could trigger a seizure, perhaps stress.

Just tell your neurologist or epileptologist about it, and they should have better advice than what I can offer. (I am not a doctor)

Thanks for the tip about sleeping, but my sleep schedule is very regular, and I get 8-9 hours per night. The seizure wasn't even remotely close to a time I might normally be asleep. So lack of sleep isn't an obvious trigger. (If you're thinking of my comment about the heat here, it cools down sufficiently for sleep at night).

I have had tonic clonic seizures resulting from a brain injury. These seizures have resulted in static epilepticus, hospitalizations, waking up with no awareness of what happened, a reduction in IQ, short and long term memory loss among others. I found a level 4 neurologist who changed my medications resulting in improvement. With further investigation, stress was identified as a factor. The doctor added sertaline (25mg/once per day mornings). Now I have an occasional mild seizure during sleep. My knowledgeable husband during the last 2 nocturnals pressed my vagal nerve ending those quickly. My next question for my doctor is "Should I take sertaline before bedtime?" Everyone is different. Investigate your doctors credentials, try to identify triggers, share them with your doctor and perhaps you, too, can drive and have an occasional non-alcoholic ale or glass of wine. The best to you.

I have had tonic clonic seizures resulting from a brain injury. These seizures have resulted in static epilepticus, hospitalizations, waking up with no awareness of what happened, a reduction in IQ, short and long term memory loss among others. I found a level 4 neurologist who changed my medications resulting in improvement.
I have TC's also day and night and also have gone status several times. I also go to a level 4 neurology clinic and have the VNS.

My next question for my doctor is "Should I take sertaline before bedtime?" Everyone is different. Investigate your doctors credentials, try to identify triggers, share them with your doctor

My question to you is, do you know that sertraline is an SSRI anti-depressant that is also used for anxiety AND depression? Do you see a neuropsychiatrist that prescribes the setraline? I take 200 mgs. of it a day myself due to depression. Some folks with E cannot tolerate an SSRI along with AED's. A tricyclic anti-depressant would be better for them, according to this report:

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/thera_antidepress.html

My question to you is, do you know that sertraline is an SSRI anti-depressant that is also used for anxiety AND depression? Do you see a neuropsychiatrist that prescribes the setraline? I take 200 mgs. of it a day myself due to depression. Some folks with E cannot tolerate an SSRI along with AED's. A tricyclic anti-depressant would be better for them, according to this report:

Yes, I am aware of sertaline and its effects and uses. Under stress, I can go into grand mal, tonic clonic. Like others I am subject to depression and anxiety. The amount of sertaline that I am prescribed is 25mg, a minimal amount. It helps me reduce stress etc., seems to have reduced the severity of my seizures and does not affect the positive effect of my epileptic medications, but again, check with your doctor.

Back
Top Bottom