Sleep Apnea/upcoming surgeries and sleep study

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am 99% sure I have sleep apnea. In a month I am having a Turbinite Reduction and a Deviated Septum corrected. 3 weeks after the surgeries, I am having a sleep study done. I am hoping the surgeries help my sleep enough that I won't need a CPAP Machine.

Now that would be awesome! Write a note on your cheek telling those doctors what outcome you are expecting.

I just got my Turbinite Reduction and a Deviated Septum surgery done yesterday. It is bleeding a lot but that's what it is expected to do for a few days. I already can breathe through my nose pretty well even with the packing still in the nose.

Surgery is always a scary proposition. I'm glad yours went well. I hope you have a swift recovery!

I went and got a sleep study done last week and the Dr. said I have "mild sleep apnea". He wants me to have another sleep study done this week in which they use the CPAP machine. I am actually looking forward to it because I have a feeling I will have the best sleep I have had in over a year. I have lost 20 pounds because I read that in half of the sleep apnea patients weight is one of the factors. I didn't think I was that overweight (I am 5'10 and went from 200 pounds to 180 pounds). According to the BMI scale I need to get down to 173 pounds to not be considered overweight. To be honest I haven't noticed that much of a difference in the quality of my sleep since losing 20 pounds. Looking back on it the sleep apnea probably played a role in the increase in my number of seizures in the last several years (less quality sleep).

Well, I

for one am glad that the surgery has helped you. I do know that when I lost all that weight years ago, it DEFINITELY helped my sleep apnea, which I now no longer have. Perhaps you'll find that the machine will make you feel the best you have, and I hope that is the case. Everyone deserves to feel the best that they possibly can....

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom