Sleep Paralysis

Reaction score
Does having Epilepsy or maybe the meds increase the chance of having Sleep Paralysis? I think I spelled it right. I hate when it occurs at night. I'm not scared of much, but SP is a very creepy feeling. Hallucinations, sounds, can't talk or move, but you're awake. Must admit, better than a grand mal seizure but nonetheless was just wondering if Epilepsy increased your chances of it occurring.

Reaction score
sorry

Sorry. I typed "S P" and it automatically made it simple partial. I meant Sleep Paralysis

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Sleep paralysis occurs harmlessly in about 15-20% of the normal population. But if you have epilepsy it's more likely to be a form of your epilepsy.

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
I have temporal lobe seizures and I get sleep paralysis too sometimes. It almost feels like that movie "Inception" (A dream within a dream). The last time I had one my husband and kids were getting ready to leave to a relative's house. I was going to stay home and catch up on some rest. I kept waking up from time to time hearing them get ready to leave. Finally I got sleep paralysis and I was hearing them getting ready to leave but I couldn't move a muscle or tell them that I can't sleep and I'll go with them. I was so worried that I wasn't really hearing them and that it was just a dream. That happens to me sometimes to where it sounds like people are here when they really aren't. Thankfully my husband and kids were really home and I was able to get out of the house. Once I have sleep paralysis I can't go back to sleep because it just keeps on happening and it's scary. As far as whether it's from the seizures or meds I have no clue.

mlbandura

New
Reaction score
I have sleep paralysis and I do not have Epilepsy. It is a very strange and scary thing to experience. My brother also experiences it too. The last one I remember I woke up could not move anything, my heart was racing and it felt like someone was standing over me. I felt like I was going to die. I read online a while back that if you concentrate on moving just one part like your thumb you will come out of it and make your brain realize that you are awake. I have tried this but I think I fall back asleep before I accomplish it.