Sleep Paralysis

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does having Epilepsy or maybe the meds increase the chance of having Sleep Paralysis? I think I spelled it right. I hate when it occurs at night. I'm not scared of much, but SP is a very creepy feeling. Hallucinations, sounds, can't talk or move, but you're awake. Must admit, better than a grand mal seizure but nonetheless was just wondering if Epilepsy increased your chances of it occurring.

sorry

Sorry. I typed "S P" and it automatically made it simple partial. I meant Sleep Paralysis

Sleep paralysis occurs harmlessly in about 15-20% of the normal population. But if you have epilepsy it's more likely to be a form of your epilepsy.

I have temporal lobe seizures and I get sleep paralysis too sometimes. It almost feels like that movie "Inception" (A dream within a dream). The last time I had one my husband and kids were getting ready to leave to a relative's house. I was going to stay home and catch up on some rest. I kept waking up from time to time hearing them get ready to leave. Finally I got sleep paralysis and I was hearing them getting ready to leave but I couldn't move a muscle or tell them that I can't sleep and I'll go with them. I was so worried that I wasn't really hearing them and that it was just a dream. That happens to me sometimes to where it sounds like people are here when they really aren't. Thankfully my husband and kids were really home and I was able to get out of the house. Once I have sleep paralysis I can't go back to sleep because it just keeps on happening and it's scary. As far as whether it's from the seizures or meds I have no clue.

I have sleep paralysis and I do not have Epilepsy. It is a very strange and scary thing to experience. My brother also experiences it too. The last one I remember I woke up could not move anything, my heart was racing and it felt like someone was standing over me. I felt like I was going to die. I read online a while back that if you concentrate on moving just one part like your thumb you will come out of it and make your brain realize that you are awake. I have tried this but I think I fall back asleep before I accomplish it.

Back
Top Bottom