Smoking.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Oh come on (lol)....do tell? : )

:ponder: I smoked for a year when I was young, but was cured when I ended up in the ICU because of burns due to a bad seizure. Did other stuff (not anything like heroine, cocaine) before seizures started, mainly drinking.

And my father starting smoking when he was a teenager. Smoked at least two packs a day when I was growing up. He must have smoked for 45 years or more. When he was 68 years old, he had a debilitating stroke and had kidney failure. Now he's on oxygen 24/7 and does dialysis 3 days a week. Just seeing him in dialysis along with others makes me not want to go there. Having E is enough for me!

Out of curiosity, I have one question for all smokers. Why did you start smoking in the first place?

I was probably around 17 (I'm 35 now) when I started because all my friends were smoking. I smoked pot twice, again because all my friends were doing it, but it never did anything for me so thankfully I never got into that.

I need to quit smoking, I'm up to about a pack a day. My husband and I are both afraid that if I do stop I might have a seizure out break. I've been trying to wean myself off but next thing I know I'm having one about ever 1/2 hour with out even realizing it.

i know i look total prat with one stuck in mouth i know i smell i got yellow fingers(i just listing may help)bad chest i smell and expence plus i had few near misses with e and fags.think i put my head in bucket and cry now....oh so feeble

I watched my father's lungs be sucked right out of his chest when he was in the hospital due to pancreas and liver cancer. He was a very heavy smoker and drinker. I should know better....but? but? but? You see, that's my problem. I can't get pass that one but. The first time I quit was because I saw my best friends dad die within 2 months after being diagnosed with stomach cancer. He went from 180lbs to 80lbs in a matter of weeks. Needless to say, I saw my dad's face and remembered... and i quit cold turkey, no patch, no help, just cold turkey (hold the mayo please) ... But? But? But? Life got hard and cold a few years later, the dr's took away my hormone therapy and.....need I say more? The sad part, I think of both of them often, remembering how horribly they died.... and again, but, but, but. I know one day I will stop, hopefully soon, and if it's on my terms and not because of peer pressure or dr's, perhaps, just perhaps, I will never light up again, but there's always that one butt!

The worse yet, I had just gotten myself down to 3 to 5 cigs a day. I was using this non-smoke, nicotine like cigs called "endit". I got really upset at work and decided to have the real thing. On January 18, 2011, I lit a cig and my head litterally exploded. I never even got the chance to exhale. I didn't know what had happened. Thank God, there was someone outside with me that morning. She was talking too me, and I could see concern on her face. I knew something was wrong because everything was distorted, vision, sound all strange. A few seconds later, it felt like someone had taken a sawed-off-shotgun and blown the back of my head off. I dropped to my knees in pain beyond my own comprehension. I crawled to the wall, because I didn't want to fall down. I heard sirens in the background, but it was warped and sounded like it was racing around me. I woke 2 days later with 18 staples in my head. I was surprised.......I thought, I really thought, I had died. Then I go and lite up.....again? I'll admit, I got issues, lots of them : ( I gotta face em : (. One-by-one!

I dont know about anyone else, but, again, this topic has been so theraputic for me. It's opened my eyes to how I view smoking and even perhaps why I do ( which requires a session with my psyc dr.) Im so glad you brought this subject up. I can't get this kind of therapy from my pysc dr. As a matter of fact he just cancelled my next appt. This issue has been weighing very heavy on my heart, I guess more than I realized. I'm going to try, I mean really try hard to stop. Pray 4 me?

Last edited:
I've been trying to wean myself off but next thing I know I'm having one about ever 1/2 hour with out even realizing it.

That's exactly what was happening with me! I had my appointment today and have picked my quit smoking day for the first of october (monday)

My cigs are upto £7 a packet now ($11?) and thats a whole lot of money in a month which could be way better used for something else. Thats close to £200 a month.

The nurse was very nice, she went through all the options with me, and we're going to meet up or talk on the phone every week and she'll refill my prescriptions then.

I really hope i can do it this time. If it wasn't for the cost to be honest i'd probably just carry on smoking.

Oh come on, no one wants to try out my method? :p

Tried it twice this week since i saw it lol. It's kind of similar to what i did years ago which was cut down to one an hour, then every two hours, then 3 etc til i quit.

I asked the nurse today why i can't stick to that now and apparently i smoke way too much and need the nicotine replacement lol.

The more u light and relight a cig, the worse it begins to taste...and smell. GROSS!

I've smoked for 7 years or so. I tried to quit last Christmas, and I had a very, very bad tonic-clonic. I'm positive it was quitting that triggered it, as well as some other factors combined. I'm terrified if I have to go somewhere all day where I can't smoke. I want to quit, but it's like choosing between stabbing myself in the leg now, or when I'm 60.

I'm a smoker as well. It's my "release/relaxation" especially after an episode and just a plain ol habit. after reading these posts, even though I should stop, makes me worried to stop because I don't want that additional stress of feigning for smokes and the anxiety and triggering worse episodes.

If you really want to stop, I would suggest tapering down slowly over a long period of time. Then you wouldn't have the major disruption. I just can't do that. I'll smoke em if I got em! :)

I tried to taper down awhile back with my girlfriend rationing out so many at a time. I smoked all of the ones I had, then spent a few hours destroying the house trying to find the pack lol.

Back
Top Bottom