Smoking.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's to the point now where my girlfriend won't even let me quit for fear of a seizure. Although I may reinforce that thought when I try to quit and I become the incredible hulk...

This talk about quitting smoking, potentially causing a seizure, is pure rubbish.:rolleyes:

So that doesn't justify, continuing to smoke.:rolleyes:

When I start to come out of a seizure I'm dieing for a cigarette. My brain isn't all there yet but I am lighting up. My husband starts yelling at me because he's afraid that I'm going to burn the house down. I'm surprised that I never have yet.

I'm with MuayThai, was 15 and stupid. Didn't really care back then what the fallout may be, just bought em and smoked em (didn't get ID'd back then for some reason... maybe wasn't a good thing).
Because of the seizure unit, and now a mangled mouth, I haven't had a smoke for three weeks. Trying to decide before my tongue gets better... should I quit? It's a tough call, b/c by the time I'm better it will be at least a month without a smoke - wouldn't any sane person use that as a chance to quit? Hmmmm decisions decisions.

I'm with MuayThai, was 15 and stupid. Didn't really care back then what the fallout may be, just bought em and smoked em (didn't get ID'd back then for some reason... maybe wasn't a good thing).
Because of the seizure unit, and now a mangled mouth, I haven't had a smoke for three weeks. Trying to decide before my tongue gets better... should I quit? It's a tough call, b/c by the time I'm better it will be at least a month without a smoke - wouldn't any sane person use that as a chance to quit? Hmmmm decisions decisions.

Remember at this point it's mental. You're most of the way there!

When I start to come out of a seizure I'm dieing for a cigarette. My brain isn't all there yet but I am lighting up. My husband starts yelling at me because he's afraid that I'm going to burn the house down. I'm surprised that I never have yet.

I agree with your husband.

I never have smoked, and hate it with a passion!!!!

You sure act like you know about what these smoking members seem to go through. How about keeping your opinions to yourself since they're not helpful or supportive.

Havok - I can understand that not being understood would make you frustrated with car. We do have rules here at CWE. Dinner table manners are the expectations here. So please, even though you may think them, no curse words allowed.

I agree with you, that your connection to a habit, chemical, in your seizure threshold, might be something that you need to take into account. I certainly would, and also I would keep a journal of your use of cigarettes. I would also encourage you to find other ways to raise your threshold as well (sleep, nutrition, vitamins, etc)

CAR - I know how frustrating it is to see people here and in real life that continue with habits that they know are harmful, but they for whatever reason do not stop those harmful behaviors. I see it all the time, and witness it here at CWE, and watch my daughter continue to consume unhealthy "food" items that will only put her at risk.
However, just because they don't stop, doesn't mean they don't want the symptoms to go away. We don't always know why we continue these behaviors. Guess that is why they are called habits. It does no good to bully people, or tell them that they don't want to get better, or that they are doing the behavior on purpose. We have to learn to replace a bad habit with a good habit. It takes time and the desire to see the positive results.

Havok - I hope that you can eventually eliminate cigarettes from your life. That would be my wish for you since they are a #1 killer, but do so with the help of your medical team. Good luck.

I hope the air has cleared and we can go back to a more polite dialog here.

I'm sorry. I've had a bad couple of days and I just couldn't take being called a liar for something that affected me so badly.

Every one has different seizure triggers. Nicotine is a very powerful stimulant, and can be a seizure trigger for some. Stopping smoking abruptly can also be a stressor that could potentially lead to a seizure. Ideally, for both reasons, it would be great to quit smoking slowly and safely, but nicotine is one of the most addictive (if not the most addictive) substances out there. I wish the best of luck to anyone out there who is trying to quit.

You sure act like you know about what these smoking members seem to go through. How about keeping your opinions to yourself since they're not helpful or supportive.

Do I physically know what a smoker goes through, yes. My paternal grandmother died at 59yrs.-old(1973) from a stroke, as a result of her smoking. My paternal aunt picked the habit up from my grandmother, when she was in her teens. My aunt is 67 and had a stroke several years ago. Her health has dramatically declined since then. my two(there are three all younger than me) younger paternal cousins' picked it up from my aunt. Thankfully, The oldest of the three did not pick up the habit.

Back in early-1980's, my father dated a smoker, when I was barely a teen. I took her cigarettes, not for the purpose of lighting up. But for the purpose of encouraging her to quit. I don't know if she ever quit, because they broke up soon afterward.

I have seen what it has done to my immediate family.

My (ex)wife's father quit cold turkey, the year before the wedding, but I know that every smoker can't quit that way. How exactly he did it, I don't know. The previous five years(prior to the year he quit), he would always have the after meal cigarette. My (ex)wife's (late)step-father who recently died not much older than my paternal grandmother, not from a stroke, but from lung cancer.

What does all that have to do with Epilepsy, virtually nothing. Except that, those with Epilepsy already have the risk of death from a seizure hanging over their heads. Why add a deadly bad habit to it.

Every one has different seizure triggers. Nicotine is a very powerful stimulant, and can be a seizure trigger for some. Stopping smoking abruptly can also be a stressor that could potentially lead to a seizure. Ideally, for both reasons, it would be great to quit smoking slowly and safely, but nicotine is one of the most addictive (if not the most addictive) substances out there. I wish the best of luck to anyone out there who is trying to quit.

That is very true. That is why, commonly, a smoker that has quit, will gain weight. Not because of the loss of nicotine to the system, but because of the loss of something being in the hand(s) almost constantly. My (ex)wife's father did, when he quit cold turkey.

Yes, It is highly addictive. It also changes a person's personality. Once my (ex)wife's father quit, he mellowed out somewhat. He was still an idiot, when it came to my health.

Last edited:
I just don't feel there is a bonafide connection between smoking and seizures. Either before starting, or after quitting.

Here is why I feel that way: http://epilepsy.med.nyu.edu/living-with-epilepsy/epilepsy-and-lifestyle/smoking-and-epilepsy

:ponder: I found something that says there is a connection:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/713020
Smoking Increases Seizures

Physicians have new reasons to encourage patients to quit smoking. A new study has found that smokers are 2 times more likely to have seizures compared with nonsmokers.

"We observed a doubling in the risk of seizures and a modest nonsignificant increase in epilepsy in current compared with never smokers that appeared to be independent of stroke," report the investigators, led by Barbara Dworetzky, MD, from Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts.

Their work was published online November 18 in Epilepsia. Investigators used data from the Nurses' Health Study to evaluate 246 patients. The participants were women aged 25 to 42 years who had mailed in questionnaires about their lifestyle and medical history, including epilepsy and seizure activity.

After adjusting for stroke, brain tumor, hypertension, and other potential confounding factors, researchers observed a significant association between smoking and risk for seizure.

All in due time. Don't beat yourself up about failing, just try again when you can, and you'll make it. Just don't become negative, it'll take away any drive to quit in the future.

i quit again today had last one lunch time...i ok when someone with me but i pathetic on my own i creep off and buy them then lie to everyone

Start a new thread so we don't hijack this one. I'm sure lots of people have good advice :)

Back
Top Bottom