Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Everyone

I have to avoid frutose just on the fact that my triglycerides and my LDL are really high. I never thought about it before. I am a diabetic as well as an epileptic. This is interesting. I did not know that mercury is found in foods. The fact that it is a natural element, how much is our body to consume? Or is mercury created for another purpose?

Mercury is added to the chemical "high fructose corn syrup". This is not something that is natural.

Do a Google search and see how this stuff is made and I think it will keep you away without any problem.

Hi Robin

It does not sound natural to me, either. I need to keep away from it anyway, since I am a diabetic. I will have to look at labels again. After so many years of checking, I quit checking. I will start again.

another consideration:

Women who drink as few as two cans of sugary soda each day increase their risk of kidney disease. A study by Loyola University Health System found that two or more cans daily almost doubled a woman’s risk of showing early signs of kidney disease.

Researchers took urine samples from over 9,300 adults and questioned their dietary habits. Women who reported drinking two or more sodas in the previous twenty-four hours were almost twice as likely to have albuminuria, an excess of a protein called albumin in the urine. Albumin is normally filtered out by healthy kidneys, so an excess of albuminuria is a marker for kidney damage.

Researchers did not find an elevated risk for men. Lead researcher David Shoham of Loyola University Health System says it’s unclear why men don’t share the same risk.

Diabetes, obesity and kidney disease have all been increasing at record pace in step with the ingestion of large amounts of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is used in most sodas. Shoham said more research is needed to determine whether the increased risk is due to an excess of HFCS, too much overall sugar, or other lifestyle factors.

In addition, a recent study found mercury in nine out of 20 commercial samples of HFCS. “This adds the intriguing possibility that it is not just the sugar itself in high fructose corn syrup that is harmful, because mercury is harmful to kidneys as well,” Shoman said.

“People are consuming too much sugar,” Shoham said. “The problem with high fructose corn syrup is that it contributes to over consumption. It’s cheap, it has a long shelf life and it allows you to buy a case of soda for less than $10.”

What about diet sodas? Researchers did not find an elevated risk in either men or women who drank diet sodas.
About 26 million American adults suffer from chronic kidney disease.

from Newsmax.com Health Alerts 2.19.07

That's some good information to have available! Interesting about the albumin, though. It was extremely low levels of albumin that caused me to develop severe edema of the legs and put me in the hospital last fall. The low albumin level led to fluid leaking into the tissues, causing the edema.

Last edited:
mercury removal?

Take the following links under advisement, that these may very well be quack sites. Hopefully, you can glean some useful info from them.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA348544

http://www.bodyecology.com/07/08/09/femented_foods_and_mercury.php

http://www.cybernation.com/livingston/meltdown/headache.php headaches in general.

What I did was to google 'how to rid mercury from you body" and got a lot of hits. Please be advised that some of them do have flashing sequences, (the dentist one) so be extremely careful if you intend to search this for yourself.

Hi Robin,

I have to have my kidneys checked. They are not working well. That is real bad for diabetes.

Hi Shelley,

I will read your links and get back to you.

nightmares

MAn i don't know if i wanna read anything in the "kitchen forum" anymore it makes me afraid to eat and i already don't eat much as is.:paperbag:

it really isn't as hard as it seems. Think about what was eaten 100 years ago and try to stick to fresh and natural.

It really is worth it because it improves the quality of your life.

i dont know

I was going to look into weight training again cause i was going to start lifting weights and all around weight training to bulk up my arms and legs again and get a lil definition in my abs like when i was in high school. I was going to use a hi-protein diet and eat more so i could build muscle while training. So what should i avoid ?:paperbag:

MAn i don't know if i wanna read anything in the "kitchen forum" anymore it makes me afraid to eat and i already don't eat much as is.:paperbag:

Evol,
I too was afraid to eat at first. Remember, I'm not on any meds. But I learned my way around my diet that I use, the GARD. I learned to eat in moderation, basically anything I want. Although I make it a point not to eat a lot of grain products, I can still eat a hamburger every now and then, and yes, I fix my hubby's favorite blueberry pancakes and eat them. Soy is my major problem. I buy lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in a wide variety and eat a lot of chicken. At first I felt like I was evaluating every bite of food that I ate, bite by bite. It's been over a year now that I've become knowledgeable about my food triggers and I'm relaxed now in my eating. I don't obsess about my diet; wherever I am, I simply make the best choice possible. It is not a nightmare in any sense of the word.

Would this be the stuff that is on our food labels as 'glucose-fructose syrup' in the UK? Or is it not in UK foods? Can't find any info on t'internet to see if we call it something else over here or if it's just not used in UK.

I am sure that probably is the same thing. There is no doubt in my mind that this ingredient is in your foods, and drinks.

Have gone through all the labels and nothing in my house appears to have this in. Maybe it's not used as frequently in the UK, most things just seem to have either sugar or sweeteners in, and I don't buy things with sweeteners in. Thank you for the link so I know what to look for though.

HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) - called isoglucose in the UK and glucose-fructose in Canada - comprises any of a group of corn syrups that has undergone enzymatic processing to convert its glucose into fructose and has then been mixed with pure corn syrup (100% glucose) to produce a desired sweetness.

Therefore, you do have it in the UK.

post number 4

Crazy Monkey discovered the name for it. Check post number 4. Also, check out Ruths' and Epilerics' post.
It seems they will market this poison under anything and not care what it does.
I think this dude is a whack job paranoid, but nonetheless:

Back
Top Bottom