Ten must-ask questions about joining a clinical trial

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Neurology Now said:
... What are the benefits for trial enrollees? Participants receive cutting-edge treatments, typically at no or reduced cost. “It gives them options beyond the regular standard of care,” says Joanne Lord, L.P.N., a certified clinical research coordinator at the University of Michigan.
But participating in clinical trials is not without risks, and there are a few questions every patient should ask before signing on. All prospective participants for a trial should receive an informed consent document. Read it carefully, as it spells out the details of the study in simple language.

The ten questions (read the article for more details about the questions):
  1. What is the end point of the trial?
  2. Who is running the trial, and what are their credentials?
  3. What are the risks and possible side effects of the experimental therapy?
  4. How long will I be participating, and can I stop if I change my mind?
  5. What are the chances I will receive the active treatment rather than a placebo or alternate treatment?
  6. What is required of me?
  7. Is there any cost to me?
  8. What happens if I encounter a problem during the study?
  9. How will my participation affect my current treatment?
  10. How will my medical data be handled?

Put to the Test (.PDF file)

Everyone should read this one
especially the PDF!

Back
Top Bottom