The sound of a seizure in music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone- I have been writing music since I was 9 along with my twin sister. We have been recording and performing professionally since age 11 and are self taught with several CDs out and even some music on youtube. Our band name is Jumelle meaning "Twins" in French. Our family is from France.
Anyways - I was recording studio a few weeks ago (using the Motif 6 16 track synthesizer/sequencer as well as a A-90 88 key controller MIDI'd to the Motif.) and was starting my work on track 1-5 and I got 100 measures of that done just fine and started on track 6 for the drum track and ended up recording a seizure (complex partial) as I say.. I was playing as the song was running/recording and I still kept doing what I was doing but since it was on record I was able to "hear" my seizure hehehe. I didn't realize anything happened until i was just sitting there not knowing what I was doing or what I wanted to do- so I turned the sequencer back on and heard a big mess!
I had to redo that track but it was interesting to hear the drum track go way off tempo, drag and slow down and fall apart till I played nothing and just left my hands on the keys I guess. The keyboard recorded the data and value of key pressure and velocity which had to be erased which told me that I had my hands just sitting on the keys doing nothing. But what an odd experience to have as a musician-
Any other musicians out there that have ever had a seizure during a performance or recording in the studio?

Another time I was sitting on the computer talking to my friend Rachel through video conference where she could see/hear me and I can see her/hear her. I started to have a seizure and my twin came in along with two other friends finding out what was going on, and I had been picking at my Braille labels on my Motif 6 keyboard that was next to me on it's stand. Rachel noticed that under my eyes turned a purple-blue color which I have no idea what that even means. But anyways I was sitting there for a few minutes picking and being unresponsive and then just kinda came around after a little bit to hear "what are you doing?" "whats going on?" and "what is your name?" and all the usual awareness questions. LOL I was embarassed to do something without knowing it. Anyways, I had to make a new label in Braille and I put it back on and laughed because it seemed so silly to do but I guess seizures happen and you don't know what exactly you might do during a complex partial seizure.

Everyone, play on!
Take care and be safe.
-Crystal of the band "Jumelle".
:e:

Did you happen to keep the tracks or record over them?...

I'm curious what you were hearing when you launched into your seizure!

Speber
:ponder:

When I recorded..

I'm curious what you were hearing when you launched into your seizure!

Speber
:ponder:

When I was recording I assume I heard somethings in the begining but probably lost awareness where I was no longer able to hear till it was over. Usually when a seizure starts up, the sounds around me break apart or sometimes they condense into one place usually the center of the room then I loose all of my hearing and awareness. I do think I have a track on data card, smart-media card that the Motif uses. I will try to find it- I thought it was so strange to hear such a mistake without knowing or realizing it was me playing it.
Anyways- I'm glad you like "Together" from our channel. That was an older piece written in middle school but recorded a little later. Danielle and I have performed all over the Austin and Dallas area and plan on doing some more now that we are graduated from college- it will give us some more free time to find venues to play in.

Take care and play on!
Do you have a place where I can hear some of your work?
-CM from Jumelle

Hi Crystal :hello: Welcome to CWE. It must have been interesting to capture the sound of your seizure. I'm sure very few people have ever captured their seizures in such a way.

Back
Top Bottom