Think I have epilepsy - EEG tomorrow!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mandala

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

I think I have been having Partial Seizures for about 10 years. I'm having an EEG tomorrow, and then I have an appointment with a neurologist. I only just went to the doctor about this a few months ago as a result of pushing by my worried partner. I have these roughly once per month, and I think they may once have been Simple and have progressed to become Complex. Memory loss is a big issue so I am not sure.

Symptoms: Strong De ja vu - like everything that people say is exactly what they were meant to say - like a script, nausea, forgetting names (even my partner's!), Apparently I look a bit blank for up to a minute, I don't recall any funny smells... When I eventually remember that I'm supposed to be writing down the experience I do so in very simple language.

I once called my SIMS2 screen a "watching my computer game page" and that was a strain to get out. I have also written these two sentences (separate events, exactly a calendar month apart): "Up my head/tummy"; "mind over head/body". My last one happened under great stress, while I was chatting on facebook, on the night my boyfriend was thinking about breaking up with me. It felt strangely entangled with this - like destiny. Lol.

Another one I had 3 months ago was when I had my first appointment to see a doctor and finally tell them about my "attacks", and they tried to charge me the full fee despite me being a student - and I flipped out and refused to go in because I couldn't afford it. I then left and walked up the street where I had a seizure brought on by reading a street sign. Something a random person on the street said was profoundly significant at the time. God knows what it was! Ha ha.... Anyway that one took me ages to recover from. About half an hour after this, I missed a bus because I didn't recognise the sign on the front of the bus as being my bus. That freaked me out and made me realise I actually NEEDED to go to the doctor.

So here I am about to have an EEG.

Good luck tomorrow Mandala, I hope the EEG provides information that will confirm a diagnosis for you and your docs. Let us know how it goes.

Update!

So yes, the neurologist thinks I do have mild epilepsy. The EEG was mildly abnormal but not enough to confirm/deny anything. Based on my symptoms however he is pretty sure. I'm now being lined up for an MRI.

At this stage I've chosen not to go on any medication.

Thanks for welcoming me :)

:brain:

It's good that you know what's going on, and it's good that it's mild! Since you're not going on medication, you might want to keep a seizure diary to track your symptoms and look for triggers. Hopefully you can identify and avoid factors that may make you more vulnerable (things like fatigue, low blood sugar, stress, etc.)

Thank you for that advice. That is a good idea. I already carry a notebook with me, so it won't be too much trouble to whip it out more often and record more details.

Back
Top Bottom