This Week in Blues History

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Irma Thomas - The Soul Queen of New Orleans

One of her best cds is called Simply The Best. It's live.

Jun 11th
On this day in 1928, King Oliver and his band recorded "Tin Roof Blues" for Vocalion records.

Jun 12th
On this day in 1938, The Night Owls recorded "Memphis Blues" in Dallas, Texas for Vocalion (4312-B)

Jun 14th
On this day in 1939, a variety special called "The Ethel Waters Show", appeared on NBC. It was the first time an African American appeared on television. Commercial television broadcasts debuted that year at the 1939 World's Fair in New York.

Jun 15th
On this day in 1939, Lillie Mae Kirkman recorded "He's Just My Size" for Columbia Records.

Jun 16th
On this day in 1931, Duke Ellington recorded "Limehouse Blues", and "Echos of The Jungle" in Camden, NJ, for Brunswick Records.
On this day in 1933, Clarence William's Jug Band recorded "Mississippi Basin" in New York City, for Vocalian.
On this day in 1940, Fat's Waller and his Rhythm recorded "Original E-Flat Blues" in New York City, for Victor Records.

Jun 17th
On this day in 1957, "Young Blood" by The Coasters peaked at #8 on the pop singles chart.
On this day in 1966, Peter Green joined John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Jun 18th
On this day in 1923, Edna Hicks recorded "Down-Hearted Blues" and "Gulf Coast Blues" in New York City for the Brunswick label.
On this day in 1966, "Hold On! I'm Coming" by Sam & Dave began it's week long stay at the top of the R&B chart.

Jun 19th
On this day in 1937, Robert Johnson recorded "Stones In My Passway", "I'm A Steady Rollin' Man", and "From Four 'Till Late", in Dallas, Texas for Vocalion.
On this day in 1952, Eddie Boyd recorded his classic song "Five Long Years" as Job single #1007

Jun 20th
On this day in 1793, Eli Whitney applied for a patent on his cotton gin.
On this day in 1924, Bix Beiderbecke and the Wolverines recorded "Royal Garden Blues" for Gennett.

Jun 21st
On this day in 1923, Bessie Smith recorded "If You Don't, I Know Who Will".

Jun 22nd
On this day in 1923, Bessie Smith recorded "Nobody In Town Can Bake A Sweet Jelly Roll Like Mine".
On this day in 1963, 13 year old Little Stevie Wonder's "Fingertips Parts One and Two" became the first live single to top the US chart and sell a million copies, while his album, "Recorded Live -- The 12 Year Old Genius," also reached No. 1 in the US.

Jun 23rd
On this day in 1923, King Oliver's Jazz Band recorded "Jazzin' Babies' Blues", and "Dippermouth Blues" in Chicago for Okeh.

Jun 20th
On this day in 1937, Robert Johnson recorded "Hellhound On My Trail", "Little Queen Of Spades", "Malted Milk", "Drunken Hearted Man", "Me And The Devil Blues", "Travelling Riverside Blues", "Honeymoon Blues", "Milkcow's Calf Blues", and "Love In Vain" in Dallas, Texas for Vocalion.

Jun 21st
On this day in 1926, Dewy Jackson's Peacock Orchestra recorded "Capitol Blues" in St. Louis, Missouri for Vocalion. The song was named after the Mississippi riverboat "S.S. Capitol" upon which they played during the 1925-26 season.

Jun 22nd
On this day in 1959, Chuck Berry's "Memphis" was released.

On this day in 1966, Muddy Waters recorded "Making Friends" Chess single 2107

Jun 23rd
On this day in 1846, Adolphe Sax (born Antoine Joseph Sax) patented the Saxophone.

On this day in 1927, Clarence Williams And His Orchestra recorded "Lazy Mama", and "Mountain City Blues" in New York City for Okeh.

On this day in 1933, Frankie "Half Pint" Johnson recorded "Mama Don't Allow It", and "The Mortgage Blues Part 1 & 2" in Chicago for Vocalion.

On this day in 1941, Lena Horne, at age 23, recorded St. Louis Blues for Victor records.

On this day in 1967, Aretha Franklin recorded "Chain Of Fools", and "Baby I Love You" for Atlantic Records.

Jun 24th
On this day in 1949, "Billboard Magazine" replaced the term 'Race Record' on its record charts with 'Rhythm & Blues'.

On this day in 1959, The film version of "Porgy and Bess" starring Sidney Poiter, Dorothy Dandridge, Brock Peters, and Sammy Davis Jr. premiered at the Warner Theater.

On this day in 1972, Albert King recorded "Breaking Up Somebody's Home" for Stax (#0147)

On this day in 1973, The Blues Project staged a reunion concert in Central Park, New York.

Jun 25th
On this day in 1938, Ella Fitzgerald's "A Tisket, A Tasket" reached #1 on the Pop Singles chart.

Jun 27th
On this day in 1940, Memphis Minnie recorded "Ma Rainey" in Chicago for OKeh (05811)

On this day in 1968, Albert King recorded the classic "Blues Power" live at the Fillmore in San Francisco.

Jun 28th
On this day in 1968, Aretha Franklin was featured on the cover of "Time" magazine.

Back
Top Bottom