Thyroid and Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
If you have Thyroid issues, seizures can be a symptom of Hyperthyroidism & Hypothyroidism. Seizures is a SYMPTOM of Thyroid issues, not the cause of seizures. Anyone have their doctor tell them this is an issue?

No. I've had an underactive thyroid for 12 years and no doctor has ever mentioned this to me.

I read about it but it usually only occurs in severe cases.

Quote from Livestrong.com

"An enlarged thyroid can be a symptom of either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. Seizures can occur during episodes of severe hyperthyroidism. Also, if a patient has epilepsy, hyperthyroidism can exacerbate the seizures. Proper treatment will eliminate the problem. Hypothyroidism does not lead to seizures"

In the Library here, a member has posted about Thyroid dysfunction & seizures. Posted by Robin N in 2008 & says she's a moderator. Including several links to articles. I didn't see this or I would have replied there instead of starting this. lol Anyway, every link I go to connects thyroid to seizures. And it says anti seizure drugs are connected to low thyroid as well

Last edited:
There is

something to understand about the thyroid gland, though.

It is one of the master glands in your body, so if it is hypo or hyper, and you are taking AED's, yes the two will interact.

I've posted about the topic as well, I believe, or responded to RobinN's posts, as I have been dx'd as hypo for more than a decade--but then my body has done some odd things over the last few years, and the hypo has reset itself to normal for now.*rolls eyes* None of my doctors understand it, and I don't hope to, but my meds are staying in line, and that's what we all care about primarily.

Don't get me wrong the docs and I cared about my thyroid function as well, but my seizures were difficult to control for a while. Now they're not. I was undiagnosed with hypo probably for a number of years, and I suspect that that may have contributed to the problem. Once I was placed on meds, and my body righted itself, my seizures became easier to control. Now they're in complete control, and have been for quite some time.

Sorry if that was confusing.....I just typed as I thought.....

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

I have hypothyroid as it seems to run in my family. My mother, both sisters, an aunt and my daughter all have it also and I'm the only who has epilepsy. My daughter actually has Hashimoto's disease, which the thyroid gland basically eats away at itself, causing all sorts of problems. But she has never had seizures. No one but me has seizures in the family.

yeah my mom and my brother both have hashimotos. I dont, i just have garden variety hypo, which most likely resulted from whiplash.

I have low thyroid myself, not enough to be on meds yet my doctor says but he always keeps an eye on it and eventually I'll be on meds for it. However my doctor knows I'm on anti seizure drugs and has never mentioned the thyroid interacting with the meds. Hmm

I stopped at the hospital today to get the records of the day I had the seizure cause I don't remember what happened and wanted to see if I had more than one and what someone saw.

I did have a Grand Mal seizure or as the report says Tonic Clonic seizure. And it say I DO have Hypothyroidism. Doesn't say that the thyroid has anything to do with the seizure but perhaps my anti-seizure medicine is affecting my thryoid cause it says it's enlarged & levels are abnormal. Will have to show the report to my doctor, both my primary doctor and the Neurologist.

My doctor (Primary) has initially said my thyroid was normal but then when he first checked it was before the seizure, obviously things have changed and I need to talk to the doctor.

Back
Top Bottom