To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well its not from diabetes, but I don't know if they are caused by epilepsy yet.

I wasn't implying you have diabetes.:eek: I was saying that seizures can be caused by either one. If you do have Epilepsy, and are put on an anti-convulsant med, yet EMS doesn't know that you are on the med, it could impact your 'quality of care'(or lack thereof).

I wear one, its with silicone straps so i can change it to 8 different colours.
Im way too attached to it now. Was up looking for it at 2:30 am last night because i realized i didn't put it back on after I took it off for a wash!

I wear one, it's a little metal plate thing with a medical symbol on it and then on the back it says seizure disorder. It has holes on each side so can be changed out with other designs to just look like a bracelet

stilldancing_98, did I read your right? Your boy was raped? On my good Lord...

ALL for for it IDs....My Son wears army like tag, look cool and great conversation peice and lots of room for info.....critical if seizure happens when out there alone in world...

I have wore a necklace off and on for many years. Never liked the bracelet idea because it is so noticable, plus I don't care for jewelery.

Now I am traveling to Mexico a lot for work. I wear one now when ever away from the office or hotel. My wife bought it for me and it has both English and Spanish on it.

From my years as an EMT, I can tell you that a necklace is not as good as the bracelet.

i think they are a good idea, i am allergic to Dilatin and keppra, and keppra and they are the two most common responses. plus I prefer people not to call emt's unless i am bleeding.

but even that being the case, I tend not to wear one. they tend to break the skin during incidents. or leave rashes on me.

I wanted to respond to this again and thank the person who gave me those links. they were really helpful. I was able to get my medical ID. It's a USB so they have all information on hand at the ready. :)

I am in the process of looking for a medical bracelet that opens so that I can update details as things change. I have not yet found one even on the internet. If any of you can help me I would appreciate it. I am in Australia but I am not worried about where I get it from. Cheers.

I am in the process of looking for a medical bracelet that opens so that I can update details as things change. I have not yet found one even on the internet. If any of you can help me I would appreciate it. I am in Australia but I am not worried about where I get it from. Cheers.

I have the phone number of MedicAlert that is an International phone number:
International call collect 1-209-634-4917 US

There website is: http://www.medicalert.org

I said yes. I don't have a firm diagnosis yet and so don't wear one yet, but if and when I get a firm diagnosis and start medication I will wear one. I don't want to attract the stigma, but I currently live alone in a different country to my whole family/friends (student) and would feel safer knowing if anything happened people are more likely to figure out that it's a seizure.

Hi albie,

Having a MedicAlert bracelet will not attract any stigma. There are sports bands that do not look like MedicAlert bracelets.

Maybe, you should just look them up and see if there are some you like. You can call up MedicAlert and tell them that you want a bracelet that does not look like one. Tell them about the stigma. They understand what you are going through.

I gave you the International phone number. That is the number that you will want to call.

Seizures are caused by different things going on in the brain. I agree, wait for a firm diagnosis. I am glad that you are here at CWE. It is a great place to be. Have you introduced yourself in the Foyer Room. You will get a lot of help there.

Thanks Ruth,

I've looked at a few already, and there are some nice ones, and ones I would be willing to wear. I think it's more the stigma of having any medical condition, I would worry that people see it and come up with their own idea of "what's wrong with me" and assume it's something else, or worse, ask me about it. I'm very shy so I'd not want anyone to ask me about my medical condition.

I have introduced myself :) And everyone's been very nice and helpful, so thanks. I'm still waiting on an EEG and the results from my MRI.

Hi Albie,

What I have on my MedicAlert bracelet is: epilepsy, diabetes. I am very specific about what I put down. That way there is no mistake about what is wrong with me. Especially if I have seizures, the Emergency Ambulance and the doctors know exactly what is wrong with me. If they do not know you, they will look at your bracelet and call MedicAlert. They will find out who your doctor is and what meds you are allergic too. You will also give MedicAlert who to contact in your family. That way, they will not worry about you. They will know what hospital you are at and what happened.

I have never had anyone 'ask me about it." MedicAlert bracelets are very common nowadays. People are use to seeing them.

I have found that most people just look at it as a piece of jewelry. I have never had anyone ask me about it. You can look at it as a piece of jewelry, too.

Let me know what the EEG and the MRI say.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I think there would be a stigma and I would be very conscious of it. If you disagree that's okay. I'm very new to the condition and probably view it very differently from those who have become accustomed to it, and that is also okay. I'm sure I will view it differently over time.

Hi albie,

I am not disagreeing with you at all. Everyone is different and reacts differently. No one that I know of becomes accustomed to having seizures. It is no fun.

You are in the best forum for epilepsy. You can ask one of the others, who have been here longer. I know that there is a thread about epilepsy and stigma. You can ask Bernard. He is the owner of the forum and very friendly to everyone.

Many in this forum have never gotten use to having seizures. I myself have not!! The falls are no fun and nobody gets use to them.

Many have never gotten over the stigma and that is all right.

I do because mine are not yet controlled. But, I have a pink leather bracelet with a pink emblem so I made it "stylish". :)

Back
Top Bottom