To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Some People - What a Shame!

I used to wear one but it was of no use to me. I had a couple of incidents and noone even cared to look. I had a necklace one for a while and then one on my wrist for a while. Nobody even cared to look. No use to me.
I carry a medical ID card in my wallet and the only thing I can think of, if I'm semi-conscious, is to point to the bag and say "Med ID". I feel very insecure about going out in the world never knowing if I'll have an episode and no one would know how to help me.
Always - Laurie

Same here....But then, I understand where Texas is coming from too....the last time paramedics were called for me, they didn't even bother to check my bracelet. Which was a bit frustrating.

Hi Skillifer- If you go online you will be able to "see" some very attractive ID bracelets or necklaces. Not like the old days. I heard a woman, here, has one with incorporated information into a watch. Or an ID bracelet which looks like one. When my beautiful bracelet arrived I discovered quickly that my wrist broke out with some kind of allergy. Go figures...I sometimes feel allergic to myself. So, this is what I've done... I keep a medical ID card in my wallet listing E and all the medications I take. I figure in Postictal state I might have the sense (though foggy) to point to my wallet. I've also heard of velcro bands. I hope I've been helpful.
Always Laurie

I wear a Medic Alert bracelet and keep a Medic ID card in my wallet listing my conditions and my meds. I do this because I also have Type 1 diabetes along with epilepsy, so if I anything happens, at least they can retrieve my card with all the info, including my neuro and my endo. I also keep a list of my conditions, meds, surgeries, etc. on my refrigerator in case 911 is ever called to my home.
This may sound extreme to some of you, but I've been through enough hell and 911 has been called too many times.

Cindy

Good Idea - Fridge

I wear a Medic Alert bracelet and keep a Medic ID card in my wallet listing my conditions and my meds. I do this because I also have Type 1 diabetes along with epilepsy, so if I anything happens, at least they can retrieve my card with all the info, including my neuro and my endo. I also keep a list of my conditions, meds, surgeries, etc. on my refrigerator in case 911 is ever called to my home.
This may sound extreme to some of you, but I've been through enough hell and 911 has been called too many times.

Cindy
Cindy - think I'll follow your lead -Laurie

i wear one but it is not a bracelet it is dog tags, i settled on those because on one i have my med info and on the other i have emerg cont info which has changed some over the years. they are easy for the medics to find and read and they seem to always know what the info means and how to use it to care for me properly

I agree and am looking into a new idea suggested by Homemom because I' allergic to the one I ordered!
Always Laurie

Dog Jewelry!

i wear one but it is not a bracelet it is dog tags, i settled on those because on one i have my med info and on the other i have emerg cont info which has changed some over the years. they are easy for the medics to find and read and they seem to always know what the info means and how to use it to care for me properly
What a "cool" idea and I'm going for it. I spent alot of money on a very attractive bracelet (I would have bought one like it a Macy's!) Usually, I go into "Feats for Beasts" for my cats and dog. Will be interested in seeing the reaction when I ask them to emboss Lamictal, Clonopin etc......! Who cares! I don't.
Always Laurie

i got mine at a military supply store, you know the kind that sells everything from boots to rem's. i was even able to get it printed there and i think in total it cost 15 or 20 dollars and has been worth every penny. it not only helps the emts that help me but it helps the strangers that find me so that if i am alone family can be contacted without someone invading my private space and going through my purse, with i don't even let my family do.

i got mine at a military supply store, you know the kind that sells everything from boots to rem's. i was even able to get it printed there and i think in total it cost 15 or 20 dollars and has been worth every penny. it not only helps the emts that help me but it helps the strangers that find me so that if i am alone family can be contacted without someone invading my private space and going through my purse, with i don't even let my family do.

That is a really good point. I may have to do that too. I really don't like to wear jewellry of any kind. I wear a watch when I need it for work. I have been wearing dog tags in the military for many years. I'd rather not wear anything that would draw attention. But I find myself thinking about this often. I have always carried a card in my wallet with the info, but I'd rather not have folks in my space either.

That is a really good point. I may have to do that too. I really don't like to wear jewellry of any kind. I wear a watch when I need it for work. I have been wearing dog tags in the military for many years. I'd rather not wear anything that would draw attention. But I find myself thinking about this often. I have always carried a card in my wallet with the info, but I'd rather not have folks in my space either.

I don't like wearing jewellery either, that's why my watch hangs from a metal clip off of my belt loop & is upside down so that I can read it without having to turn it the other way.

As far as the bracelet goes, I was against wearing them for years because I was scared of it attracting attention & now that I have one I'm surprised at how little attention it draws. Only once did someone ask me what I was allergic to because she had a peanut butter sandwich. I told her nothing & that wasn't what the bracelet was for & the end of it.

I don't wear

them either..........I've never found one that I like well enough, that will hold all my infomation or even remotely close to half of it, and, I'm allergic to almost every metal. I've tried painted each bracelet that I've had with anil polish, and had to do it every day.....which got OLD, FAST.

I've put a MEDICAL, I.C.E number in my cell phone, and I carry a list of info in my wallet........which takes up 3/4 of a full page.....

forgive my bad attitude but if you ask me i would tell you that id rather die than wear a medic bracelet. i know my friends would not think different of me but its something that i want to keep to myself.i know im dumb but whatever.

loco.gif

No, you're not dumb....

you're entitled to your feelings. I'm concerned that you feel so strongly about it though. What if you found one that you thought was actually attractive? Would you wear it then?

forgive my bad attitude but if you ask me i would tell you that id rather die than wear a medic bracelet. i know my friends would not think different of me but its something that i want to keep to myself.i know im dumb but whatever.

loco.gif

I wouldn't say that's dumb (or whatever) since I used to feel like that. Actually I liked the idea of having the control over who & when I tell someone. I really only got it because of a huge scare (when I came out of seizure in the middle of the intersection). Interestingly enough I find I still have that same control as before.

Hey Joey - I carry an "Emergency Medical ID "Card" in my wallet. It lists my doctor's name and person to notify in emegency. On the back you can list what meds you're on. I tried the bracelet ID but was allergic to it. I figure (hope) when post-ictal I can point to my wallet, at least. Sounds like you're pretty "set" about the ID paraphanalia, so maybe this is a good option. I'm sure you could call your GP, neurolgist and they could provide you with the card. Always Laurie

I use to have a bracelet I wore but it got busted when I was running for the subway and broke my foot.
I now have a necklace it tells of allergies to drugs epilepsy,bronchitis.
mine is sterling silver.
paramedics said they wouldn't check for medic alert.
Belinda

Last edited:
Necklace

I use to have a bracelet I wore but it got busted when I was running for the subway and broke my foot.
I now have a necklace it tells of allergies to drugs epilepsy,bronchitis.
mine is sterling silver.
paramedics said they wouldn't check for medic alert.
Belinda
I was thinking of ordering the necklace but figured I'd have the same allergic reaction from the bracelet. I've worn coated silver before and never had this problem. To expensive to give the necklace a try. Have to find a better solution that the med card, I think. Always Laurie

Look, I just take my chances that medical personnel are going to notice it..... it's better than them assuming I'm having a seizure because I'm on a truckload of pills/drugs/alcohol..... because let's face it, nowadays, a lot of seizures are caused by drugs.... I'd just like to differentiate myself from them and inform the medical world that I'm already on medication......

Back
Top Bottom