To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bracelet

Ive never worn one......I pick up mine next week.

I've always carried my card and had 2 ICE numbers in my phone, but given the increase in my seizures lately, and the fact that no-one ever looks at them, I think it might be time to go down that route. Does anyone know if you can get one cheaply in the UK, as the only ones I've seen are around £60 or more, and I don't have that sort of money. It's why I haven't got around to getting one yet.

Bracelets

I know it won't help you but in Ireland if you join "Brainwave" for 12.50 euro you get a free id bracelet.

Perhaps there is something similar in the UK.

I lost my this weekend and I didn't realize what a security blanket it was for me.

I kept

breaking out, badly, no matter what metal or material for that matter was used. No bracelet, no necklace. So, I carry an ICE number in my cell, and a sheet with all my current meds, and diagnoses on it, easily seen in my purse.

Cinnabar said:
...a bracelet (quite expensive) and broke out in the most terrible rash. I briefly considered a necklace but reasoned I'd have the same reaction. I carry a medical ID card in my wallet. For now that's the best I can do. Any other suggestions?
Always - Laurie

If you're allergic to the stainless steel, have you thought to ask for a present of a gold Medic Alert bracelet? I know they're much more expensive and my SIL is allergic to silver or wearing any other metal. Please understand: I'm NOT trying to make you spend money you don't have!!

As for me, I'm saving up to re-order a stainless steel necklet for this reason as well as other medical problems. They cost close to $100.Cdn!! :sad: I've already outlasted 2 other bracelets & necklets!! :!:

Coming into this post waaaaaaaaay late but for those here, like me,allergic to metals why not do what I do,and wear a nylon sports strap?

I like the ones at the sticky j .com

and you can choose almost any metal tags. They even have a page of metal id's just for us epileptics. But what I like is that you can put the metalID tag onto the nylon sportss strap and they donot touch the skin so cannot ever cause an allergic reacton.

Moonchild, I was referring primarily to dress watches & jewelry. Sorry for the confusion!

CJR, Great good heavens! This poll of yours certainly seems very one-sided. It looks like everyone on here but Joey wears one of those labels and seem proud to do it. OK, not me! No and never! I am not sticking some sort of label on me that can so deeply effect my life and cancel my driving, which would absolutely force me to loose my job with all that would do to my family. Those dependency-grinding blue pills are a driver's licence in a bottle and a deep source of anger to me. Every single day I have to force that angry dependency aside and take those blue things to please the gods of the DMV and you know what, there is a stark limit to how far I'll go to advertise this seizure thing. OK, I know it seems strange to all of you to see things that way having had this since I was a child but I do see it that strongly. Wear some sort of branding, labeling advertisement? No way!! Never went to an ER for a seizure but if I did, let them figure it out! That's what they get paid for! :twocents:

CJR, Great good heavens! This poll of yours certainly seems very one-sided. It looks like everyone on here but Joey wears one of those labels and seem proud to do it. OK, not me! No and never! I am not sticking some sort of label on me that can so deeply effect my life and cancel my driving, which would absolutely force me to loose my job with all that would do to my family. Those dependency-grinding blue pills are a driver's licence in a bottle and a deep source of anger to me. Every single day I have to force that angry dependency aside and take those blue things to please the gods of the DMV and you know what, there is a stark limit to how far I'll go to advertise this seizure thing. OK, I know it seems strange to all of you to see things that way having had this since I was a child but I do see it that strongly. Wear some sort of branding, labeling advertisement? No way!! Never went to an ER for a seizure but if I did, let them figure it out! That's what they get paid for! :twocents:

well we all have our own opinions about stuff:twocents: they found out i had epilepsy when i woke up in a smoking car and i said "did i have a seizure? and please whatever you do make sure my car is ok!" but she diddnt make it

Last edited:
I really prefer not to wear them, I dont like jewelry.

But I wear it now after being in the e.r. and teling them severeal times, "do not give me dilantin." and having a tech/nurse/doc what ever say opps. ended up spending a week in the hospital.

Wearing an identification is mainly for those who are helping you. I wear a necklace made of sterling silver and has the medical symbol on one side and my info on the other. It has my ID# and phone number to call that is linked to a file at Medic Alert that has a lot of info on it that is important. During or after a seizure, you may not know what meds you're on, what conditions you have or anything else that is vital. I have a staple in my heart PDA and if they were to use MRI or CT or Xray- they would see a metal thing in my heart- but its important for them to protect me from radiation and magnets due to a PDA repair staple/clamp. But I highly doubt I would understand enough to explain this to them after a seizure. I barely get my city I live in down- or the time and date/ month year etc.

CHATTER-BOX- I use hearing aids and a guide dog and those are strong symbols of my disabilities- so after a while you don't think the same about how others see you. If they think its kinda weird to wear a medical ID- well then its their problem. You are only protecting yourself. You can't always depend on someone to explain your situation or seizure disorder to medical staff.

Take care
Crystal

My sister bought me one at of all places Walmart. While its not my favorite place ( I strongly disagree with their business practices) Its quite cute. You can change the band to match your outfit.

My sister bought me one at of all places Walmart. While its not my favorite place ( I strongly disagree with their business practices) Its quite cute. You can change the band to match your outfit.

Interesting. I wonder if it's listed on their website. I avoid Walmart the best I can, but sometimes give in on rare occassions. :p

Wearing an identification is mainly for those who are helping you. I wear a necklace made of sterling silver and has the medical symbol on one side and my info on the other. It has my ID# and phone number to call that is linked to a file at Medic Alert that has a lot of info on it that is important. During or after a seizure, you may not know what meds you're on, what conditions you have or anything else that is vital. I have a staple in my heart PDA and if they were to use MRI or CT or Xray- they would see a metal thing in my heart- but its important for them to protect me from radiation and magnets due to a PDA repair staple/clamp. But I highly doubt I would understand enough to explain this to them after a seizure. I barely get my city I live in down- or the time and date/ month year etc.

Take care
Crystal

exactly! the last seizure i had, the paramedics asked me how old i was, and i gave them the wrong answer! the first i had, i didn't know who anyone in my family was. i couldn't recognize them.

I wear a brain injury dog tag, but it likes to flip over (And I tend to wear pullover fleeces a lot that hide it), so I got one of those kinds that looks like the Timex watch I used to wear when I was deployed in the Army.

As for suggestions, if you carry a cell phone, most newer models come with an I.C.E. field that includes at least 2 emergency contacts and room for 3 personal notes. In my notes, I have pertinent (brief) medical info, identifying information, and medications and dosages. These days, honestly, many first responders are likely to look for a cell phone to identify an unconscious person in an emergency, so that ICE info can be pretty valuable.

:e:

Hi All,

I wear a medical id bracelet. Mine is a SOS-Talisman Stainless Steel - with the Snake & Staff (also known as Caduceus - which is the medical symbol). Its great as its so easy to update - as it has a paper-strip inside. When I need to update it I just have to get a new paper strip and enter in the appropriate information. I wear all the time - even when swimming, showering, bathing and washing dishes. The reason why is because it is water-tight and heat-resistant. Also I always use a Indian ink and waterproof pen when updating the information.

I live in the UK, I don't know if you are able to get them in other parts of the world. Although I imagine you can as it does have a website. They have a great selection of bracelets and necklaces - made out of a various of metals and materials.

Miss Choccy

Susan

:e:

Back
Top Bottom