To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

*snicker*

(*points out that broken vacuums -don't- suck* teeheehee *ducks from incoming flying objects*)

Yesss!

I think a Med ID bracelet is an amazing idea!! Its a relief knowing that if I am ever in a setting with people unaware of my Epilepsy, I will have some kind of medical identification. Since you can list a phone # on the ID, people will also know the # of family and your dr. It costs money but I think it is well worth the investment. You can't be too prepared and I don't see any negatives in buying one. There may be sites that have better deals but I really love this one http://www.laurenshope.com/ - it has so many options and such cute ID's for children. I think a little girl would find these bands really cute and they are on sale http://www.laurenshope.com/products/184/engraved-leather-bracelets

Last edited:
traveling...

Well, I have been a bit lazy about wearing my bracelet...but in march, I'll be flying and have a layover in Denver. If it was just me, I prolly wouldn't be worried...but I had a seizure the other week, and I'll be traveling with my 7 month old daughter...no hubby ( he has to stay home and work)...so I'll definitely be wearing it...

My wife got me a nice necklace version for Christmas. I may eventually get a heavier chain, but I have worn it almost constantly. Good idea and a very thoughtful gift.

INAARA!!!! You rock!
I totally just got my new med ID bracelet in today. *that didnt take too long* and it is flipping amazing. totally exactly what I wanted. and more. OMG! thanks so much. I am uploading a video right now for youtube to show you guys. i'm going to post it here, and in my diary.

HUGS!!!!! :dance: :dance2: :yipee: :D

I have a medic alert bracelet and I wear it mostly everyday...I won't say it isn't a bit annoying sometimes but lots of things are annoying... and the bracelet gives me a bit of comfort knowing that if I am out alone and something does go wrong- that people can figure out what has happened!

I wear a basic bracelet (chain with faceplate), and I know that my 10 year old cousin really likes the sports band option instead as she hated the constant movement of the bracelet!

I have the sports band one - had to adjust it ridiculously small to get it to fit, though, rofl.

Then again, I'm kind of tiny. As in, womens extra small is often too big and I have to wear youth large. My friends get a good chuckle out of it.

HA HA Inaara, I do the same thing

It's quite hilarious. I had to go get gloves and a bike helmet last week and my friend took me over ot the bike shop. Her twin boys (9 year olds) were with us and the boys thought it was so funny (so did the bike shop guy) that I wear the same size gloves and helmet that they do. I'm not sure I'll ever live that down lol

lol me too. I used to work in a childrens store, and I was the only one allowed to wear jeans and flip flops, as long as they were the product we sold. it was great. Walkin g mannequin.

gloves I bought there, skirts, shoes *my feet are size 4* and my helmet I got at a specialty shop because I want a grown up looking helmet

To Wear or Not to Wear Medical Bracelets

I say Yes, please everybody, at all times - visibly. On plastic or whatever is comfortable. Please don't find out the hard way.

I don't wear one. All my seizures are nocturnal - currently, anyway. I keep details in my wallet.

This is not good but its the truth. I don't have one and I take a lot of meds. I will get one though. I promise you.By the time I'm working.

newbe

I'm new here, so forgive me if I don't follow etiquite. As for wearing a Medical bracelet, my son does wear one. First of all, he's just three. Second of all, he does not have the seizures that most people recognize. To some people, he may look real strange. (if he was older, someone might think he was on drugs, hallucinating or something, and get arrested or beat down by the cops. I know that's extreme, but I worry about that!) I would rather people know that what they are seeing is a seizure. :twocents:

he does not have the seizures that most people recognize. To some people, he may look real strange. (if he was older, someone might think he was on drugs, hallucinating or something, and get arrested or beat down by the cops. I know that's extreme, but I worry about that!) I would rather people know that what they are seeing is a seizure. :twocents:

That's precisely why I do wear one and why I carry a special card (usually in a plastic thing around my neck not unlike the way I used to carry my ID when I was in the military) that states that I have a brain injury. One or the other gets people's attention when I'm not able to communicate effectively and prevents the kind of miscommunication you've described (which does happen).

I just recently started to wear one after seizing at work, most of my coworkers scolded me for NOT having one so that's what made me start. I got mine at the local CVS pharmacy and it was about $20, so I'd vote yes.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom