To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hello

As most of you know my 10 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Epilepsy. I was going to ask her Neurologist if she should wear a medical bracelet but we are STILL waiting to meet her Neurologist! So I thought I'd pose the question to those of you who have experience with E. Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID or do you choose not to? And Why? Did age play a role in your decision? Thanks!

i wear one that you hook up to the computer and if the peramdics are called they can hook it up to theyre computer and get her medical history right there. its very easy and very safe. the bracleti wear is even water proof. i would totally recommend getting her one

Hi Kassi. I have a son with epilepsy and I have it to. Sometimes my son is embarrassed about it. So I decided to make it cool. You can make it a really pretty necklace. Or a couple of different bracelets. My son is 13 and he wants to fit into anything. Maybe she could help pick it out.

I saw jelly bracelets someplace. Now if I could only remember where.....

I'd think first responders wouldn't bother to look at that for a medic alert number, though.

well because im 24 i jus thought that it would be safer for me to wear 1 and when i have my seziures its easy for the paramedics to see

my parents bought a necklace for me when i was 12 and went mental when i lost it a couple of weeks later lol but i have never been the type that wears jewelry although in the past few months i have aquired a download for my blackberry that does the same thing although who would look at your mobile programs while you were having a siezure is beyond me as anyone who knew enough to look there would know you well enough not to need to bother looking

These solutions aren't useful for a helpful stranger or passerby, but...

A cellphone solution is to use ICE (In case of emergency) entries in your phonebook. First responders often look for ICE if you are unconscious. Put:

ICE - Seizures
ICE - Medic Alert (and put in your medic alert # and phone)

Then put

ICE (name of your emergency contact)

I was also told at the hospital a good thing to do is to put a medical ID card in your wallet, taped to your driver's license. (back to back in case you need to show your license). Hospitals and first responders look in your wallet for ID (but in some states they don't).

daft question i know but what happens if you cant get a drivers liscence because you are an epileptic what do you tape it to then lol

Your state government ID card. It looks like a drivers license but isn't. You go to the same place as where you get driver's licenses to get one It's a good idea to have one because if you don't have a drivers license the ID card is needed for using credit cards, flying, etc. And there is no age requirement to get one. You can be 9 or 90.

Last edited:
this is the uk id cards are only just coming out over here just proves this country is still in the stone age

my sons has been wearing his since he was diagnosed and he doesn't realize he has it on at times

I'm just wondering what would stop an epileptic from wearing medical alert jewelry.

Last edited by a moderator:
what stops me from wearing jewelry of any kind is the fact i can never find any that will last long enough e.g a few years ago i was given a silver ring that was smashed then i got married 5 years ago and so far i have had 3 wedding rings of which the one i wear at present has been straightened twice in the past 6 months, not to mention the sos talisman my parents bought me at the age of 12 that lasted 2 weeks before disapearing into the sunset never to be seen again even my watches dont last long the last one was binned after i was mig welding with it on and it got a lump of molten steel passed through it, as you can see im not a lover of jewelry

Okay, that makes sense - but that is "pretty" jewelry. I am more concerned with something that can save your life. So whether it's a basic bracelet that lists medical conditions, or a watch/button that can summon help (what I would think many epileptics should have, an what my aunts have) - I would think it would be a necessity....?

Randy... I think lureswingers point is that if he can't wear "pretty" jewellery without bending, breaking or losing it then medical jewellery wouldn't have much chance either.

I can not believe these results. It is totally incomprehensible to me why so many people are taking such a dangerous chance with their health & life. You never know when or where or what type seizure may hit next. Good luck to all who choose to go down that treacherous unprotected road.

Money is tight these days but MedicAlert offers free memberships and ID tags/bracelets to people on disability and other type of benefits.

MedicAlert "UK"
MedicAlert "AU"
MedicAlert "USA"

Last edited:
!!!!
I'm cheap. I made my own because I don't have that kind of money to spend on IDs. But it still hold all my information.

I can not believe these results. It is totally incomprehensible to me why so many people are taking such a dangerous chance with their health & life. You never know when or where or what type seizure may hit next. Good luck to all who choose to go down that treacherous unprotected road.

Money is tight these days but MedicAlert offers free memberships and ID tags/bracelets to people on disability and other type of benefits.

MedicAlert "UK"
MedicAlert "AU"
MedicAlert "USA"
I can not find any free membership... where on the site (USA) is it?

Back
Top Bottom