To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am actually surprised the number of people who don't wear them

I dont because I can't find one that is a little more edgy/punk and i can't find a pretty elegant one either. the ones with the beads, to me, look childish. I like the twisty bangles and bold colours etc, but can't find one. also cant find one without that horrible red symbol. I want black or silver etching. :(

I think that's only because its more eye catching. like how emergency vehicles always have red in them. I have seen black, white and pink coloured tags, as well as just the solid etched, but the bands are never sometrhin I would wear

gotcha, i think if i were not so seizure prone. and could talk while post tictal I wouldnt wear one.

Red is also the "Emergency" color. Did you ever look at the emergency vehicles' flashing lights for a second when they're not flashing? It's also the color of blood!

Yeah, But watching them flash gives me extreme headaches, but when I was watching them at night once, down a highway with no street light, it made me have a TC right there in the car.

Blood makes me faint

I didn't say to look at the blood; I was being descriptive! Please don't tell me that you can't look at a red car and you'll faint!!

lol no. but I sonetimes cant eat a raspberry sunday because the syrup looks like blood to me. then I either feel queasy and need to leave or wnat to barf, and need to leave. I can actually faint at alot of things. Needles, Blood, Heights, small spaces, anything that makes me panic. also sometimes laughing or coughing too long can do it, as I dont realy have a great breathe reflex. I used to be a breathe holder when I was younger, and it usually made me pass out before I resumed breathing.

So because of that I can usually stay under water for about 2 minutes minimum without feeling the burning in my lungs. but a few times after a bad TC chad or someone needs to give me a few taps on the face, or keep tilting my head or shake me a bit to kick my body back into knowing it can breathe again.

Rae- I would guess that a more fashion friendly one would go unnoticed. You don't want something that completely blends in with what you're already wearing.

I think its crucial for these bracelets to have a noticable, world-wide symbol thats easily recognizable by anyone. Not just medical personnal, but by the average joe as well.

But what do I know.

While true, but I know that paramedics are trained (at least here) to check necks, wrists and ankles for ID tags. Some dont usually do it, even though that could hold some very important information. like allergies to morphine. which can kill some people if its given

my parents bought me one when i was 12 yrs old and i had it about a week before i lost it since that i have only managed to wear my watch and my wedding ring i find anything else just gets in the way of talons lol

I dont because I can't find one that is a little more edgy/punk (

Define edgy/punk. My google-fu is strong today (this is the women's version, I believe):

black&Blueband2.JPG

The symbol colors come in green, blue, pink, black, pink, purple and orange with this company. I'm sure there are other companies out there who make stuff along these lines, this was just the first one my lazy butt came across ;)

Last edited:
I currently dont wear a medic alert bracelet. Its been 15 or more years since I have had one on my wrist on a regular basis. I found it very annoying and uncomfortable. Plus they did there job too well. I didnt like how mine just jumped right out at you. But at the same time Im lucky enough that I dont have my seizures on a regular basis any more. Or at least for the last 4 years. I use to have a seizure every month or so growing up and since I had my surgery in 2006 everything has been peachy :)

Define edgy/punk. My google-fu Ha Ha, Like Kug-fu! but better. is strong today (this is the women's version, I believe):

black&Blueband2.JPG

The symbol colors come in green, blue, pink, black, pink, purple and orange with this company. I'm sure there are other companies out there who make stuff along these lines, this was just the first one my lazy butt came across ;)

Thats exactly what I mean. I have looked up a few, but they always seemed to be those beaded things, then one has a skull or something and it black beads... not so hard core in my opinion

Okay, totally just put an order in! thanks Inaara!

I will post a photo when it comes in! Im so excited!

Last edited:
I didn't know you were a broken vacuum cleaner, Rae!! :roflmao: (Kidding, as usual!)

Back
Top Bottom