Tomomax/topiromate - issues !!!!?????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been on topiromate for about 12 year and for years I have had trouble concentrating, always felt like I didn't do very well at school.
I always had twitches in my face which I still have to this day.
My eyes feel strange lately I always feel like they are blurry.
I have always said for the past 5 year I have just never really felt well in my self. I never go a full week without complaining of some thing
I am 90% sure that it could be these tablets and am close to changing them. I am only on 50mg at the moment so the nurse said it shouldn't cause problems but it is my body I know how I feel.
The only thing that is stopping me is these tablets do actually stop my seziures and I would have to stop driving if they change them
She offered to change them to lamaotrigine
What are people's thoughts ?? What are your experiences

My eyes feel strange lately I always feel like they are blurry.
I recommend that you see an optometrist or ophthalmologist right away. Topamax can cause problems with the eyes, including serious problems that can lead to vision loss.

I am 90% sure that it could be these tablets and am close to changing them. I am only on 50mg at the moment so the nurse said it shouldn't cause problems but it is my body I know how I feel.
Yes, I agree, even very low doses can affect us, that has been my experience.

She offered to change them to lamotrigine.
I've been on lamotrigine for over a decade and it works well for me. I don't have a history with Topamax, so hopefully others will weigh in on that. The fact that you've been seizure-free on Topamax bodes well for any other meds that you might try -- being "medication-responsive" on one drug tends to mean that you'll have the same success with another. If you decide to make the switch, go very slowly, over the course of a few months if possible. Even though you're on a low dose of the Topamax, the fact that you've been on it for 12 years means that you need to give your body a lot of time to adjust when you make the change.

Thanks for the replies
The epilepsy nurse reccomended switching to lamaotrigine if i decide to switch
I am just so upset about having to stop driving for upto a year
But I'm not sure I can put up with the side effects of these tablets any longer.
I just need to know that these side effects are actually from the tablets and not just a part of my anxiety or me just being a hypocondriact which I feel I'm being made to feel like
I hope I can get some feedback of what people have experienced with these tablets.

Back
Top Bottom