[News] University of Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill has seizure on TV

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota coach Jerry Kill is showing signs of improvement and resting comfortably at a hospital after suffering a seizure late in the Gophers' home opener against New Mexico State.
Kill collapsed on the sidelines with seconds to go in Saturday night's game at TCF Bank Stadium, which New Mexico State won 28-21. It was the third time in his coaching career that Kill has had a seizure on game day. He was taken from the stadium by ambulance, a scene that silenced the stadium and had players and coaches from both teams kneeling on the field in prayer.

Smith said Saturday night that the 88-degree temperature coupled with dehydration might have played a role in the seizure. Smith said the Gophers were fully aware of Kill's history of seizures and gave the coach medication to sedate him.

Kill twice had seizures late in games while coaching at Southern Illinois, once in 2001 and again in 2005. He also collapsed and had a seizure while taping a television show in 2006. Each time, he returned to work without missing a game.

Kill has been taking medication to control the seizures for years, some of which doctors say stem from his treatment for kidney cancer.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...en-gophers-coach-jerry-kill-improving-seizure

Seems like a great teachable moment.

Wooboy! His seizures look like real dooseys too. So when will someone actually say the big "E" word? All the news reports I've seen just say "he has a history of seizures that have been under control with medicine."

Should have thrown that thermos of Gatorade on him about 5 minutes prior. He would have been cool and hydrated!

display_image.jpg

Coaches in college football are under tremendous stress and have very hectic schedules. They do not get enough sleep for the most part. I wish Mr. Kill all the best.

Coaches in college football are under tremendous stress and have very hectic schedules.

And aren't young mothers whose husbands are pilots and gone a good deal of the time under tremendous stress? :ponder:

I saw this article online yesterday morning and heard them say that the public may have trouble viewing the video. Well, well......... welcome to the world my kids viewed growing up.

This is good news for the public knowledge of seizures.
I'm glad there was at least a little bit of video.
I'm not sure what those people astride him were trying to do by appearing to restrain him.
"hit in the head" sounds mild
I'm glad he's ok.

Sorry, this is my cynical side. I noticed that they had to mention that his seizures are "under control," like if they weren't he'd be out of a job, or as a type of apology. Also that the whole place felt compelled to kneel and pray, like he had a concussion or heart attack, instead of just saying "Ouch! Hope he's okay" and getting on with the game.

...the public may have trouble viewing the video. Well, well......... welcome to the world my kids viewed growing up.

indeed

the public would have an even harder time having one

>insert quip>
I guess he didn't pay attention to the game clock
4-20 ...(4th quarter, 0:20)
>/quip>

... Also that the whole place felt compelled to kneel and pray, like he had a concussion or heart attack, instead of just saying "Ouch! Hope he's okay" and getting on with the game.

Any time a player or coach gets medical attention and carted off the field in a stretcher/ambulance, players take a knee out of respect. It's a pretty universal show of good sportsmanship.

I would have been nice to put more information that is overall seizure related but in the end it is a sports story to the reporter.

I would say it is better than this.
"Amy Winehouse's father Mitch has told how his daughter, found dead at her north London flat, suffered seizures as a result of her battle with alcohol."
I wonder how many people after reading that will assume all seizures are alcohol related?

I would have been nice to put more information that is overall seizure related but in the end it is a sports story to the reporter.

"Amy Winehouse's father Mitch has told how his daughter, found dead at her north London flat, suffered seizures as a result of her battle with alcohol."
I wonder how many people after reading that will assume all seizures are alcohol related?

probably the same number of people who are ignorant @ssholes

isn't it great fun to get blamed for something we weren't "there" to experience?

how about "Amy Winehouse battled with alcohol because of stresses and challenges dealing with undiagnosed epilepsy while living in a world chock-full of ignorant assholes."
we don't see those stories do we?

And remember the Casey Anthony murder trial?! Watch "Dr. Phil" today because the parents claim that Casey had seizures and maybe she had a "grand mal" seizure and doesn't remember killing her daughter. Dr. Phil does explain epilepsy to some degree, but doesn't think it is the cause in her case. I say let's all write in to Dr. Phil now and give him OUR PERSPECTIVE of EPILEPSY!

I've had TC seizures where I attacked my father, and didn't remember, but give me a break. And my epileptologist told me once she had to call the police into her office because her patient once attacked her during a seizure, so weird things can/do happen. The public does need to be educated! We are not the A**HOLES! They are.

I think of it (to help calm myself at times I think I might be having auras or petite seizures or whatever, when I'm still maintaining a conscious state) in terms of the brain equivalent to a tv remote
depending on what channels you have, and how intense the seizure, my brain might flip slowly between, or flip to, some other channel without my stream of consciousness being quite aware of it
or if it's a more severe seizure it'll flip through all of the channels rapidly, up through to the muscle channels, to the World Weightlifting Championships of my brain, for some reason
kindof a simple analogy but it helps me at times to try to identify what I may be going through (like now for instance, having a bit of woozy)
but if your brain subscribes to the guns-n-ammo channel already, then that could amplify

just an amplification of what preexists - mentally, physically

I don't know much about the Casey Anthony thing, but I do know there are a lot of subscribers in the world to the Scumbag Channel
maybe your epileptologist's patient does. maybe your epileptologist does, and the patient picked it up
maybe they both do

I don't trust doctors much anymore

well sports are based in the 'warrior' psyche type thing... adrenaline etc
I was stretching for some sort of an analogy

There were some other articles that said the seizures were due to alcohol withdrawal. Which is definitely a cause of seizures.

There were some other articles that said the seizures were due to alcohol withdrawal. Which is definitely a cause of seizures.

when I was in rehab they put us on, like, 1000 mg of Trazidone a day or something for several days, KO'd for several days straight, basically, to stop the withdraw issues

8+ years recovering alcoholic

Petox, Congrats on 8 years alcohol free! :woot:

I didn't know Trazodone prevented seizures. Interesting. Ooops. I spoke too soon. Trazodone is considered an antidepressant. I wonder why they chose to use that? Those don't prevent seizures, but may cause them in people who have a history of seizures.

The use of most antidepressants is associated with a risk of seizures. There have been only rare reports of convulsions, including grand mal seizures, following the administration of nefazodone or trazodone. Although a causal relationship has not been established, therapy with these agents should be administered cautiously in patients with a history of seizures.
http://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/trazodone.html

Trazodone has been reported to cause seizures in a small number of patients who took it concurrently with other anti seizure medications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trazodone

Antidepressants Seizure Incidence (%)

TCAs and tetracyclic antidepressants

Amitriptyline <0.1-0.3
Amoxapine 24.5-36.4
Clomipramine 0.7-3.0
Desipramine <0.1
Doxepin <0.1
Imipramine <0.1-0.9
Maprotiline 0.4-15.6
Nortriptyline <0.1
Protriptyline <0.1