Vagus Nerve Stimulator

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ahem....visit my site?

arrow.jpg

o_O so u like it? u hate it? There are alot of bad posts on there threads topics etc so im confused..its sounds really dangerous

Last edited:
When the battery reaches the End of Service (EOS) the unit must be replaced. The time can vary depending on the amount and frequency of stimulation. Also some of the 102 models had problems of sudden EOS without warning before it's expected time.

One of my Mods must have her unit replaced about every 18 months. But most go 2 to 5 years before replacement is needed.

I am on my 2nd VNS. The first one lasted for 4 years. This one has been working for me since 2002, so it could go out any time now. I'm certainly glad I had it done, although it is not a cure all and I have had a few problems initially. But it was a last resort for me. I had tried 10 meds, had brain surgery, nothing worked for me.

But it was a last resort for me. I had tried 10 meds, had brain surgery, nothing worked for me.

wow thats horribe O.O im glad you found something that worked for you!! I considering the VNS because brain surgery is too risky for me..but so far your the only one to say something good about it...everyone else says stay far farrrr away from it

I have a VNS and it cut down on my seizures by.
Before I got it I was having an average of 60 a month.
It works with my meds but it doesn't control my seizures by itself.
Belinda:twocents:

Chinchillachic,

Have you visited the cyberonics.com website? Perhaps you'll find answers pertaining to the VNS there.

lol... Not interested in diets/vitamins, eh? Too much work/hassle? epileric provided a link to a chart listing other options (including neurobehavioral therapy and EEG neurofeedback).

Ive tried it all and im on it all. But thank you for your snarky comment, its very helpful

I've had my VNS since 2000 and haven't had to have it replaced yet, which is amazing since mine stimulates ever 3 min for 30 sec at 30 amps.
I don't hate it but I don't love it so I guess you could say I'm somewhere in the middle.
My seizure patterns tend to change every 5-10 yrs and at the time that I got it, it did work but not so much now since my s. patterns have changed since then.

Vns

I wouldn't put a VNS in my dead dog if that tells u anything but then again I could be one of the 5% that it doesn't work on and has caused severe damage. I am schedule for surgery to get the VNS out and the leads. I HATE MY VNS!!!!!!! Since I've gotten it put in I've lost over half my body weight, it has caused more damage than good and thats coming from a neurosurgeon, just my point of view.
:e: Kim :e:

I am going to be getting the VNS for the first time in a couple months. How can you tell when the battery hits EOS? Or it needs replaced?

When the doctor evaluates the unit, estimated battery life is available. Also should the battery die without warning, the patient often has a change in seizure pattern. Epilepsy patients are recommended to swipe the magnet daily. The magnet is set higher than normal stimulation and can be felt at each swipe, so if you swipe it and don't feel it, you need to contact the doctor ASAP.

Why not pop into my site the VNS Message Board. Lots of caring and supporting folks. We have people who have experienced every kind of result with VNS Therapy from the very best to the very worst.

Back
Top Bottom