[Research] Vitamin D

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It is worth a try Elaine. I hope that you see something positive from the vitamin.
I hope they allow you to take an amount that is useful.

We live in sunny CA, but if you do not take the time to be outdoors in the sun,with a good amount of skin exposed, it does little good. Many of our lives are spent in doors during the best times of the day to get sun exposure. Taking Vit D has eliminated any viral illnesses for Rebecca and myself for the past 2 years.

I too was taking D and Calcium to fend off osteoporosis from AED's but haven't been taking them lately and well have been very moody and sad just thought it was the holiday stuff getting overwhelming. I will get right back on them.

Oh and Yea Robin I've often wondered what effect sunscreen really has on us, it seems skin cancer rates have actually gone up since I was a kid and no one wore it.

I agree with you on the sunscreen. I think Dr Mercola speaks about this. A bit of a scam I think. Not sure what to do if you are prone to skin cancer though. But that begins at the cellular level. Cells need oxygen and good nutrition to remain healthy. I don't believe God would have given hunter and gatherers the sun if it was intrinsically bad for them. Though we can't remain inside for weeks and then go into intense sun for the day without consequences.

Dr Mercola and Dr Blaylock both recommend Vit D. Not sure they still recommend Calcium. Many alternatives think we have played that one too far.

Nicely put Robin and as we know cancer feeds off sugar also at the cellular level. I don't know if I ever told you my son was diagnosed with a brain tumor two years ago. At that time his vision was 20/400 in one eye and 20/80 in the other. As we were waiting to get an accurate diagnoses and trying to get into St. Jude's we made two changes to his life. He stopped weight lifting and went to an organic diet which of course included no more school hot lunches. In that 3 month period his vision had improved causing St. Jude to be very impressed. As of his last visit his vision is 20/30 in both eyes.

WOW what a great story.
It makes me wonder why people are so against trying something within their control.

Just found this

Most of us already get enough vitamin D and calcium from our diet and the sun and don't need to take supplements, conclude the authors of a long-awaited report on the hot-button health topic.

The report, from the trusted Institute of Medicine, warns against taking high doses of vitamin D in the hopes of warding off chronic diseases, noting that there are still too many unknowns about the risks of doing so.

The report comes amid a flurry of interest in vitamin D in particular. A number of studies in recent years have linked the vitamin to lower rates of all kinds of chronic diseases, from multiple sclerosis to cancer to heart disease.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101130/institute-of-medicine-vitamin-d-recommendations-101130/20101130/?hub=OttawaHome

I think the jury's still out on this one. I noticed that the report still recommended a modest increase in the RDA of Vitamin D.

I am quite the sun-bunny -- and yet my Vitamin D levels were still subpar when they were last tested...

Back
Top Bottom