Vitamins and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever thought that multi-vitamins or mega-vitamins helped decrease the number of seizures that they had? I once had a friend who had epilepsy who took mega-vitamins that she thought cut her number of seizures in half. The only problem was that they cost $40 a month! It wasn't GNC but it was one of those nationally sold brands. They had three different strengths to choose from. The highest strength had 36 mg of iron which is obviously more than would be recommended for men to take. The B vitamins alone were 5000% the recommended dose. I wish I could remember the brand name.

Well, from what I've read - and what I keep reading....it's the B vitamins which are they way to go.

researchers at the University of Toronto ... found that the frequency of seizures was reduced by more than 60 percent in 10 of 12 children taking vitamin E supplements. (They took 400 international units a day for three months in addition to their regular medication.) Six of them had a 90 to 100 percent reduction in seizures. By comparison, none of the 12 children who took placebos (inactive substances) along with their medication improved significantly.

What’s more, when the children who were taking placebos were switched to vitamin E, seizure frequency was reduced 70 to 100 percent in all of them. The researchers noted that there were no adverse side effects.

From Bernard's chart... Vitamin E is on my shopping list now.

Hi,

I have only use B vitamins to control my seizures. At the moment I am taking 450 mg/day (22,500% EC RDA) in total of Pyridoxine (PN) Hydrochloride (HCl). 350 mg of which is prescribed though my doctor and a further 100 mg is contained within my multi B complex tablet that I discovered myself. I have been approx. 17 years clear of all my major seizures (TCs, SPs, CPs,... ect.) and I haven't seen a neuro. for over 12 years.

I have been taking 300 mgs/day and above of PN HCL (vitamin B6) for about 34-35 years.

Not clear on this comment.

... TeeTee being a rattle is an improvement :ponder:
Rebecca feels it is her 5th meal of the day.

I meant the 70% reduction in the # of seizures is a major improvement. (Due to using the vitamin E)

Gotcha.... I started Rebecca on Vit. E recently. Waiting to see if there are any positive results.

I finally found the vitamin packs I was thinking of. It was Great Earth Vitamins. Most of the stores here in San Diego went out of business. But I found one in Hillcrest. I once had a friend who had seizures daily who told me when she took one of the mega vitamin packs and her # of seizures were cut in half. The only problem is they cost $41/month. I just bought a month's worth the other day after finally finding a Great Earth Vitamin store that was still in business.

Last edited:
Just remember, this might have dealth with whatever her body was lacking. You might be totally different. However, with that said, I believe in supplementation. I don't think our modern diet is giving us the vitamin and minerals that we need.

Consider too though, that you will need to have your system functioning in tip top shape so that your body will absorb what you are taking. Become extremely knowledgeabout about the differnet vitamins and what they are doing for you. Why one does is useless without another. Why others should not be taken at the same time as the another.

You do need to become a chemist, but I am finding some wonderful sources here and on other websites. Just be sure if you are on a medication, that what you take isn't going to counteract that, or increase the effect of it. You should also tell your doctor what you are taking. They may not agree with it, but find out if it will harm you in any way by taking it.

Let us know how this goes... I am interested in your personal study.
I think BELIEF and a POSITIVE take charge attitude is a wonderful place to begin.

Last edited:
for the last two months Ive been taking Biodelivery Nutritional Systems Daily Complete by Nutritional Therapeutics, Inc. made with NtFactor lipid replacement therapy NT Factor, which has been clinically proven to increase energy, memory and proper digestion. This product was designed to help those undergoing chemotherapy and other fatigue causing problems. It is more expensive than the typical multivitamins, but after trying it, you will see why. the ones I take is $15.00 for 60 tab ....I've seen it as high as $100. (online)they should sell them at your hospital pharmacy about 80% less the cost of buying online.... I was also told by the same pharmacy to take magnesium-Oxide 400mg just started them three days I already seem to have more energy .....I also take probiotic acidophilus one a day because i take septra every day....& vit b6 about 25 mg now the doctor said 200mg is just to much...

Just remember, this might have dealth with whatever her body was lacking. You might be totally different. However, with that said, I believe in supplementation. I don't think our modern diet is giving us the vitamin and minerals that we need.

Consider too though, that you will need to have your system functioning in tip top shape so that your body will absorb what you are taking. Become extremely knowledgeabout about the differnet vitamins and what they are doing for you. Why one does is useless without another. Why others should not be taken at the same time as the another.

You do need to become a chemist, but I am finding some wonderful sources here and on other websites. Just be sure if you are on a medication, that what you take isn't going to counteract that, or increase the effect of it. You should also tell your doctor what you are taking. They may not agree with it, but find out if it will harm you in any way by taking it.

Let us know how this goes... I am interested in your personal study.
I think BELIEF and a POSITIVE take charge attitude is a wonderful place to begin.

:agree:

Just started...

...taking a multi-vitamin pack, after reading all the info here and elsewhere on the net, as well as being honest about the fact that I have a diet that really is not that balanced. In fact, my packets cost $21 for a month. I got them at Norton Nutrition. I've been taking it for about 2 days, and so far, I haven't been craving chocolate (which for me is really odd...as the other day I ate almost an entire box of chocolates by myself). I'm hoping that it will keep the sz from coming this month. :)

Really check out what is in your multi vita packs. I have done some reading, but can't speak with any decent knowledge on the subject, that many can have fillers that are just the "stuff" that you don't want mixed in with the good vitamins and minerals. Not meaning to make you nervous, just do some research on the additives.

Have you read that craving chocolate can mean a magnesium deficiency?
Hmmm.... I am helped by magnesium and yet I don't crave it at all.
Just proves one size does not fit all.

I checked the label on the bottle, and the packets are actually pretty balanced. The Mag is about 540mg. And they're high in Vit. E and B's. It was really weird though...I haven't really craved coffee the last 2-3 days either. I drank a couple of cups of decaf, but only because I wanted something hot to drink that wasn't cocoa. I used to be a 9 cups a day person...in fact people suggest I just do a coffee IV, it would be easier. So for me to not really want coffee...or get a headache from not having any coffee....is weird..... a good weird..but weird. :)

I would listen to what your body is telling you.
Sounds like it is moving in a postive direction. Caffeine is a big trigger for many suffering from migraine and seizures. I am attempting to lose my dependency on it as well.

Oh trust me, I'm enjoying the lack of a NEED for coffee. :) It means I'll finally get around to drinking all the herbal teas students have given me over the years. :)

I was reading the bottle of Super C Complex 1000 that I had gotten from Great Earth Vitamins and I noticed it contained Bioflavonoids. Orange, Lemon, Lime, Tangerine, and Grapefruit bioflavonoids. I remembered Tegretol XR wasn't supposed to be mixed with Grapefruit so I ended up buying a different brand of Vitamin C just to play it safe. I bought Ester C 1000 which still contains all of the above Bioflavonoids except for the Grapefruit.

Back
Top Bottom