We started medication!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am new to this. Please keep that in mind before you read this and think I am totally insane. Also my daughter is only 13 months old

Normally my daughter has one to two petit mal seizures daily. We are working with a neurologist to see if we can find out what is causing them she has had some testing done.

Normally she has a shot petit mal and afterwards she is completely fine like nothing ever happend. Well last night she had 3 seizures and after the last two she was dissorented and her equalibrium is completely off. I caled her neurologist after hours line and they didnt call me back so I called her regular pediatrition and they said take her in to be evaluated to be sure. They checked her out in the ER and she seemed to be okay by the time we got there. They sent us home.

Today however she had two seizures this morning and was dissorentated for about 10 minutes after the first and wasnt able to walk properly like off balance for about 20 minutes. After the second she was trying to take a step and fell back on her butt, then fell onto her side like she couldnt sit up either. I walked over to pick her up and she instantly fell asleep. I paniced. Took me about 3 minutes to wake her rustling her pretty well. So I took her straight to the ER. They monitered her for a few hours. She was loopy for quite a while almost an hour. So they decided to start her on Tegretol to stop the seizures. She has been extremely tired about a half hour after they gave it to her.

I was wondering basically if any of you are familiar with the medication and/or its side effects?

I am trying to familiarize myself with all of this but having a hard time finding information about the way these conditions and medications effect small children. All I can find is related to adults.

Any input welcome thanks!

Hi there Taylor's Mama!

Don't worry, none of us are going to judge you for doing what a mother should: following her gut instinct to protect her child. :clap::clap:

I've included a couple of links here for you to check out information on Tegretol, and yes, it WILL be normal for her to be drowsy on it, especially at first, as her body acclimates to it. As you increase her dosage (aka TITRATE) this will also happen, too, so don't be surprised.

http://fdb.rxlist.com/drugs/search.aspx?query=Tegretol

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-t01.html

I was 13 months old when my E was dxd, so I'm told, but I have tonic clonic E.......I give you many kudos for handling it the way you are, especially by yourself, since your husband isn't here.

Good luck.......

Meetz
:rock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom