Weird triggers?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rhiz

New
Reaction score
I apologise in advance if this sounds a bit odd but,
I find when my hands are cold I have several petit mal seizures one after another, especially if I'm reading, but I do find reading stresses me out these days
I also found when I was doing my later years in school for maths I found I couldn't do equations anymore because I packed in all the information as I was working the sums out and found i just ended up having seizures and completely forgetting what I was doing

I'm not sure if either of these are common, so I thought I'd ask you guys :) Have you had any experience with seizures whilst being cold or reading or doing mathematical equations?
Thanks in advance :)

Hmmmm,

well, there is no rhyme nor reason to my seizures, although my seizures in the last 20 years have only been at night. But no, I have never had a seizure because i was too cold or because I was doing math. However, thereare people who have, so don't let me put you off....

Do you think there is any chance this is photosentivity to certain lights? I have had seizure while reading at work, but have also been doing other things at work, including accounting, but I have found out I am photosensitive. Most of my seizures have been at work and I pretty sure it's the fluerosant lights

I have noticed that motion can trigger mine. Or anything htat makes me dizzy. If I spin my son around in a circle. Ride on amusement rides. Etc.

Do you think there is any chance this is photosentivity to certain lights? I have had seizure while reading at work, but have also been doing other things at work, including accounting, but I have found out I am photosensitive. Most of my seizures have been at work and I pretty sure it's the fluerosant lights

Yeah, it was confirmed that I am photosensitive but alot of the time I only read at work so now you say it it could be the strip lighting in the reception that does it!

That is a most interesting trigger moonchild! I find myself getting easily confused with motion now, but I don't normally have seizures from it myself

Yeah, it was confirmed that I am photosensitive but alot of the time I only read at work so now you say it it could be the strip lighting in the reception that does it!

I have found with photosentivity, it is like seizures that it varies greatly from person to person. Keep a journal and pay attention to the lighting you are around when this happens. In the beginning, I couldn't understand why I would get seizures mainly at work until I started researching it and found out the effects of different stores, office lighting. I know a lot of people on her have problems with the lights at Walmart. While that doesn't bother me, the lighting at work definitely is a trigger for me. I don't have problems with computers, but some do. I have problems with strobe lights and even watching movie in theater. It's worth charting to see if this is a trigger for you. Try reading at home with different lighting and see if there is any problem. Take care

hmmm....cold hands? does this happen often? cold hands and feet are a symptom of hypothyroid. Hypothyroid can trigger seizures. As can low blood sugar and lack of sleep.

I have found with photosentivity, it is like seizures that it varies greatly from person to person. Keep a journal and pay attention to the lighting you are around when this happens. In the beginning, I couldn't understand why I would get seizures mainly at work until I started researching it and found out the effects of different stores, office lighting. I know a lot of people on her have problems with the lights at Walmart. While that doesn't bother me, the lighting at work definitely is a trigger for me. I don't have problems with computers, but some do. I have problems with strobe lights and even watching movie in theater. It's worth charting to see if this is a trigger for you. Try reading at home with different lighting and see if there is any problem. Take care
I've started with a journal again today so hopefully that will help :) I'll try reading a bit more at home as you suggested to see if there is any difference! Thank you :)
hmmm....cold hands? does this happen often? cold hands and feet are a symptom of hypothyroid. Hypothyroid can trigger seizures. As can low blood sugar and lack of sleep.
I seem to have cold hands most of the time at the moment, but the colder my hands are the more seizures I seem to have. I'll look into that, thanks :)
But what I did always find was weird recently, I drink alot of smoothies and I always use frozen fruit and sometimes I'll have seizures if I drink the cold drinks too fast, but most of the time I kinda space out? sounds weird i know i'm not sure if that's just sensitive teeth related though

Last edited:
Motion

Ahhh, Moonchild I hear ya on that one. No spinning, rides, or anything that makes my head spin to quickly. Sometimes even when my husband is driving and does a quick turn I don't like it. I'm sorry to hear you deal with that too. I find it a nuisance.

Skilly has

a good point. Hypothyroid and low blood sugar both can cause the cold hand issues, and seizures, too. I have the hypothyroid problem.....I was undiagnosed for quite some time, and my seizures increased---until it was diagnosed, and I was put on meds for it. Then things started to get better once I was balanced out on the thyroid meds.........not perfect mind you, but better. Then the seizure meds were adjusted, and it was even better......

Back
Top Bottom